Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: No more GM diesels?!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> No more GM diesels?!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they get too far ahead of the curve, they run the risk of missing it. Like land speculators who guessed where the railroad would be built.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

If they get too far ahead of the curve, they run the risk of missing it. Like land speculators who guessed where the railroad would be built.
In the early 1900's they had several electric cars a few steam and the rest gasoline.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

GM goes 100% electric

And Ford has made similar announcements. Is this the end of pickups? I haven't seen a glimmer of a electric p/u with 500 mile range and 3500 pound carry capacity have you?

Sorry but cant take seriously anyone calling GM goverment motors!

GM paid of all the money they borowed long time ago.

That said,since GM has no Supercharger network like Tesla,
the smartest thing would be to build hybrid electric trucks like Via motors,100 mpg aint too shaby imho

https://youtu.be/4XHbQLfgI6g

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

noteven wrote:

I suppose the next thing will be hybrid railroad locomotives. That’ll never work.

They already are 'hybrids'. Diesel electric. Diesel engine drives an alternator, alternator powers the traction motors.

Not really, no battery to store recovered energy. Wouldn’t be surprised to see batteries added in future to make them hybrids.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/19 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fake news

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/19 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No way this cost 2mil, I bet 10K max.
[image]

On a serious note, I cannot understand why people that buy electric vehicles are constantly patting themselves on the back about "saving the environment". Have they ever researched the Lithium and Cobalt mines and their environmental impact? I agree that it may be less than carbon emissions of ICE, but far from "saving the planet"by buying an EV. Personally, I'm really intrigued by EV vehicles and more power to the people that step up and buy. But, quit waving your zero emission flag.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blownstang01 wrote:

On a serious note, I cannot understand why people that buy electric vehicles are constantly patting themselves on the back about "saving the environment". Have they ever researched the Lithium and Cobalt mines and their environmental impact? I agree that it may be less than carbon emissions of ICE, but far from "saving the planet"by buying an EV. Personally, I'm really intrigued by EV vehicles and more power to the people that step up and buy. But, quit waving your zero emission flag.

Coal mining and oil drilling where pretty bad in the early days. Unions, and government regulation (or fear of both) forced a lot of improvement. And it could happen again, not sure it will.
The planet will survive. Mankind? Not sure. But I don't do much to protect the environment, for the sake of protecting the environment. After all the years, we have not got past the point of "You must prove it is bad. If good for me, I will use." And the witch about the cost of cleaning up when it is proven bad. (Or more likely, move away from the mess, build walls to save ourselves). We sit in the cafe, cry and moan about the mountain of government debt are kids will have to deal with. But if anybody questions where the kids will get air and water, he is a no count, long hair hippie that does not love the country. Maybe intelligent life, (plants or animals that can live without destroying everything around them) will have a better chance if we hurry to make mankind extinct...

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blownstang01 wrote:

No way this cost 2mil, I bet 10K max.
[image]

I particularly like your picture of a carbon based fuel generator charging an electric car.

Also agree with your comments on the mining. No one wants to talk about that though.

I do think electric cars have there place in large cities to held reduce emissions for commuter vehicles.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

GM goes 100% electric

And Ford has made similar announcements. Is this the end of pickups? I haven't seen a glimmer of a electric p/u with 500 mile range and 3500 pound carry capacity have you?

Sorry but cant take seriously anyone calling GM goverment motors!

GM paid of all the money they borowed long time ago.

That said,since GM has no Supercharger network like Tesla,
the smartest thing would be to build hybrid electric trucks like Via motors,100 mpg aint too shaby imho

https://youtu.be/4XHbQLfgI6g
No the tax payers got stuck with GM pension. How about all the small parts suppliers that got stiffed. How about the stock holders that got stiffed as well. Usually when a company goes bankruptcy the assets are sold off to satisfy some of the debt. The government sold their stock in GM at a large loss to the taxpayer.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]

Oh my. The OP link is a personal opinion blog. A self acclaimed "news" site. This yahoo is laughing his head off at everyone who reads his dribble. And everyone is taking it serious...

time2roll wrote:

Fake news

Yep!

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> No more GM diesels?!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS