Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Fried battery
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Fried battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
JOERVDREAM

quincy, ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started to smell this rotten egg smell and after a lot of crawling around I traced it to the chassis battery. It was really hot and giving off that terrible smell. I disconnected it and took it out side and it took about 3 hours to cool off. I put a new one in the next day. I talked to someone later that told me to keep the aux battery switch off while Im connected to shore power because it over charged the battery? Or was there some other reason this happened and why only the chassis battery? The book says always keep the switch on unless your going to be hooked up to shore power for a long time while in storage. I have had the switch off since I put the new battery in for about a week now. Any ideas?

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batteries fail. Generally 5 yrs is max but some 6VDC last longer. Anyway, my guess is your battery failed internally and cooked itself. Follow your manual's advice. Check your batteries monthly to ensure water levels are up. Also, if you have a battery bank, one weak battery will drag the others with it....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Artum Snowbird

Campbell River, B.C., Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally, as your battery charges, it develops resistance to charging and the charging current drops to zero.

When you have a battery that has a cell that has collapsed inside, the current in that cell merrily runs along, but it sees the battery as not charged, so it throws the maximum charging current through the battery trying to charge it.

The result of this current flow is an off gassing, and cooking of the battery.

What I did was I got a very cheap ($3.00) (Banggood) two decimal point voltage meter and put it across the battery terminals. Now, I just need to look at the meter to determine my battery voltage. I can monitor the amount of usage over time by checking the voltage. I can also monitor the drop in voltage when I hook up a big load like the furnace motor.

Keeping an eye on your battery and understanding what is normal, and what is not becomes a habit, and after a while you just glance at the voltage and know everything is OK, or something is wrong.

Mike and Carole
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year battery in our Factory Edge failed.
Wife was driving down the road and smelled what you smelled. Pulled over cut the engine off opened the hood but didn't know what was wrong. Found a small reapir shop down the hill. He saw the battery was hot and boiling and about to explode.
Replaced it with a NAPA which would not hold enough charge to start the car first of this month,result in cascading visiting Ford Dealers in Russelville Ark, Shawnee Oklahoma, and Camping World, in Oklahoma City, and For Dealer in Texas.
New Battery, radiator fan, rewiring the car at CW, and water pump in Texas.
Take too long for all the details but about $4,000.00 from a bad new battery!

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It takes a LOT of current to make that happen.
The most common cause is shorted contacts on the starter solenoid, keeping the starter running (or trying to) a lot longer than it should.
The second most likely cause is a short inside the battery itself.

The charging equipment in an RV is generally not capable of pumping in that much current, unless it has had a massive failure internally.

EVERY RV OWNER NEEDS A VOLTMETER.

Then.....turn that switch back on and see what happens.
AFTER you get a voltmeter so you can monitor what is happening.

IF your chassis battery was cooked by the charging equipment in the "house", then your house batteries should be toast too.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd check the charger to make sure it's charging the new battery correctly.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I talked to someone that told me to keep the aux battery switch off while I'm connected to shore power because it over charged the battery?

You don't provide any information about your MH. The "aux. battery switches" I've seen are the intermittent contact type meaning that the chassis battery will only be manually interconnected to the coach battery(s) while you press the (usually a rocker type) switch. Yours may be different, but you need to be clear on what type of switch you have. Most batteries (coach to chassis) are automatically interconnected by a solenoid whenever the chassis engine is running but NOT when connected to shore power. (engine off)

Chum lee

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theres more to this story? when did you check the water level in the battery? most likely theres nothing wrong if you didn,t do some maintance on your unit.but you should check the charging system to make sure.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a lot of "Old RVers Tails" here in the forums

The bit about keeping the AUX switch OFF when plugged in due to over charging....

Well long long time ago.. There were some very bad converter/chargers one of which was the Magnatek 6300.. These used big heavy feroresnate transformers (you need not know what that means) and were designed for 110 or 115 volts. Well the standard voltage has gone up since I was in school from 110 to 120 so this means the 6300 ran "Hot" (overcharged) also though the charger was only a few amps (The converter usually was around 30 amps but the charger less than 5) it had no clue as to when to stop.. So it overcharged.

Have not made any of those in years. The company was bought out and the new owners scrapped that line they make a much better one with decent regulation and a switching converter Smaller. Cleaner, Lighter and more efficient.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/19 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We cook several batteries at our RV shows. The water levels get low and the charging cooks out the rest of the water. I've documented that my own trailer did that a few weeks ago, lack of water.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Fried battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.