cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kitty litter: How do you dispose of it while on the road?

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
The stuff weighs a good ten pounds and will stretch a plastic bag. How do you treat kitty litter when it becomes time to change it out while on the road?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
19 REPLIES 19

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Aubruaot wrote:
Same question here, how to properly dispose my dog (Cake) liter.
Go to Dog forum.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Something I didn't know. So would an rver put dog waste down the rv toilet?

Flushing dog poop down the toilet โ€“ without a bag, only the waste โ€“ is perhaps the best disposal method, says the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the National Resources Defense Council. Leaving pet waste on the ground increases public health risks by allowing harmful bacteria and nutrients to wash into storm drains, and eventually into local waterbodies.

But cat feces should never be flushed, as it may contain Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite that can infect people and animals. Municipal water treatment systems do not always kill this parasite.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

dturm
Aubruaot wrote:

Some of my friends suggested to use it as a fertilizer and plant 1 seed for doing that.

Hope you could help me on this.

Thanks

There are enough zoonotic diseases that using untreated fecal material is a potential danger. It can be good fertilizer if composted properly or sterilized. Many of the human food recalls are related to fecal contamination in the field or during processing.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
Save your Amazon boxes.

Put the trash inside the Amazon boxes.

Leave out.

Soon the box is gone.

The porch pirates will be soooooooooooooooo disappointed!!!!

:B

Aubruaot
Explorer
Explorer

Some of my friends suggested to use it as a fertilizer and plant 1 seed for doing that.

Hope you could help me on this.

Thanks

frankgibbons194
Explorer
Explorer
While you're in the RV driving through the road, simply throw the kitty litter box disposal thing into the toilet and flush it away.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I use the lightweight clumping litter and scoop it daily into the garbage bag. When the garbage is full, it goes into the dumpster.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years we have had several guests that felt the best disposal methods were:
1. Just dump it out on the grass (bad)
2. Just dump it on the gravel pad (very bad)
3. Dump it down the sewer drain (exceptionally bad and costly)

Just put it in a plastic bag and put it in the regular trash.

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
We had a cat for years and I used the clumping litter and scooped several times per day. NEVER change the litter.

While camping I would scoop and put in regular trash. If you are boon docking then we would have a bin/box outside camper/perhaps on the bumper where we could store until we find a place to put trash.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
happy2rv wrote:
We use Tidy Cats LightWeight with a heavy duty pan liner at home and on the road. The lightweight can be more expensive, but 8.5 lbs vs 20 lbs for the same size container is significant weight savings.
x2. And the cheaper heavier litter is dusty. Eww.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Just use heavier trash bags. We travel with a "Luggable Loo" (for human use) which is lined with a WAG bag and we use cheap/heavy kitty litter to solidify the contents. No problems.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

SusanDallas
Explorer
Explorer
I trained my cat to use pee pads. I just poured a couple of cups of cat litter on top of the pad and decreased the amount over a 10 day period. Now, I only use pee pads.I have virtually no cat odor in my house and no litter mess.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Switch the litter to wood pellets.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Save your Amazon boxes.

Put the trash inside the Amazon boxes.

Leave out.

Soon the box is gone.

The porch pirates will be soooooooooooooooo disappointed!!!!