cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground in Wilmington NC

todd_j
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a nice campground for a 4 night stop in Wilmington NC. My daughter is running a 1/2 Ironman Triathlon there in mid Oct.
Any suggestions???
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

NCBounder
Explorer
Explorer
Todd, not sure how far away is too far for you but there are several places south on Hwy 17 near the Shallotte area about 45 minutes away from the Wilmington river front. We have stayed at Brunswick Beaches Camping Resort about half mile off US 17 in that area and it suits us fine, but we don't usually go all the way up to Wilmington.
Chuck & Pam
'16 Tiffin Allegro 32SA - Ford V10
'17 Nissan Frontier - Blue Ox & Brake Buddy
F261484
NJ4B

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just googled the Family Campground mentioned above. I cam't imagine any business having the pics that they have on their website allowing those pics to remain on their website. If that's the good ones I can only imagine the ones they deleted.
I guess that they are holding out for the big condo money.
We've been to Carolina/Kure beach a couple of times but always in a rental house for the giant whole fam damily summer get together. It's impossible to get in the state park with their 9 FHO sites.
Puma 30RKSS

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
My advice is to never, never, never, never stay at Carolina Beach Family Campground. Did I say that I will never stay there again. It is a poorly run trailer park of the worst kind that claims to be a campground. We stopped late at night and if we could have seen what it was like, we would have pulled out and slept in the police impound lot or parked under a bridge somewhere. The neighbors would have been of higher character. In case you missed it, the place is a dump.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Check to see if you can get a place at Topsail Sound RV Park. It's out of the Wilmigton area proper but not to far and a great park.

todd_j
Explorer
Explorer
KOA was my first choice but unfortunately everyone else picked it. No openings. Any ideas within 20-25 miles?

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
The only drawback of the KOA in Wilmington is that thereโ€™s a self service car wash at the entrance that is high enough for RVโ€™s. It draws me in every time...
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
KOA seems to be about the only one near town and is pretty nice. You an go out to Wrightsville Beach and there are some, but they really pack you in. We've opted for the KOA the few times we've been in the area.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Campinghoss
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the KOA. We will be there for a few days in November. It is a nice cg with easy access.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
The KOA in Wilmington is pretty nice. I'd say above average for a KOA. We've stayed there twice over the years. It's convenient to the city. Good luck to your daughter!
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K