cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New York City

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We plan on seeing The NY city area from the Newburgh KOA. We are thinking about leaving the RV for a couple of days & using a hotel for the downtown area, looks like most tourist stuff is in Manhattan. Has anyone done this to give us pointers on making this as painless as possible? I am concerned about juggling suitcases & getting to a hotel etc. If we do this, how many nights hotel would you suggest? We are not interested in ball games, but may do a Broadway show ( at our sonโ€™s insistence). Where would you stay? Thanks for any advise & insight. NYC looks pretty intimidating!
16 REPLIES 16

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I just got back from a nearly week-long trip to NYC, as it turns out. I spent two nights at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, my second time camping there, and then three nights at Croton Point as Floyd Bennett Field is only opening their campground on weekends as it's the end of their season. I'm not sure I understand the logic there entirely, and the web site is less than crystal clear that they do that, but nevertheless it's what is going on.

Liberty Harbor, which I haven't actually stayed at, is the most convenient location to most of the sights in the city. It's also the most expensive of the three, and has the smallest camp sites/parking spaces.

Floyd Bennett Field is very affordable ($30 a night, or I think less if you're retired), has few ammenities (dry camping at the edges of a very large concrete pad, a former sea plane base, with a dump station available), and requires more or less interesting city driving to get an RV to. The most straightforward route, via the Belt Parkway, is limited to passenger cars as are all the parkways. From the northish direction, at least, perhaps the best route is to take I-278 to Flatbush Avenue and drive Flatbush clear across Brooklyn; that's at least how I've done it, and survived to tell the story. From the campground at Floyd Bennet Field, it's about a fifteen minute or so walk to the bus stop at the Ryan Visitor Center, and then very roughly an hour to central Manhattan via bus and subway. The busses run every twenty minutes. An unlimited MetroCard covers both busses and the subway; the seven day variant is $33 and in my opinion a very good bargain.

Croton Point is much easier to drive to, being well north of the city and barely off of US 9. It's a 20 or so minute walk from the campground to the MetroLink train station, and about an hour train ride to Grand Central Station and about $12 each way (for non-retired persons). Taking the train to Marble Hill instead is about half as much money, and then a longish subway ride can get one to central Manhattan, at the expense of maybe twenty additional minutes. The campground is easily the nicest of the three; the sites (at least many of them) are full-hookup, and have vegetation between them and generally what one would expect from a public park campground. As was mentioned, it's around $60 a night.

Personally, I rather like Floyd Bennett Field, but it's not for everyone. I would definitely suggest passing on it if you don't feel adept at driving your RV in rather tight traffic or haven't yet gotten a great feel for where it is in relation to you when you're driving. Checking the clearances for whatever route you need to take to get there may also be important; I think the limit was 12' something at the interstate exit. (I don't recall any low clearances on Flatbush Ave itself.)

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
Croton point park is my choice when visiting NYC. Non residents pay 50.00 the last time I stayed there. A senior round trip on metro north was less than 10.00. A cheap way to visit the city.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
From what Iโ€™ve read, Liberty Harbor will not be available for our trip... Repurposed land...
Whaaat?
We've got reservations for mid October. They took our money - hopefully what you heard was wrong.

We did stay at Croton Point before and it was really cool - taking the train along the Hudson into Grand Central. We would stay there again, but thought it would be fun to stay in a parking lot and take a ferry across to Manhattan. ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
The only thing I might be concerned about Liberty Harbor is I read on the reviews about some low voltage problems during peak summer times. That aside we would return again to LH, just to close and convenient to NYC.

Mike

We were there last year in mid July (upper 90's) and never had a voltage issue. It is an OK place to park and see NYC, but don't think you'll be sitting outside by your RV.

Yup, we were there late April. Cool weather made it good for walking around NYC

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
We were in NYC, last month. Us and 13 year old GD. Stayed at a Hilton about 2 blocks from the Wall street bull. 3 blocks from the boat to the statue of liberty, and maybe 6 blocks to ground zero. If memory serves about $225 per night. Great location though.

We stayed three nights, did the above and Time Square and central park, plus a few other things. 3 nights was plenty for us. NYC is just to busy. GD would have stayed for a month however

Getting around, subway is an option but would have been confusing for us at least. And with luggage, even more difficult.

We did Uber and Taxies, not all that spendy and worked out well. Although I will admit a couple of those taxi rides were scary. They tend drive like it is the Indy 500.

I would add, if you are like us, Kent WA kids, and maybe you are the same ( as in sort of small townish) NYC is intimating. So we spent the money to make it less so. I think the Hilton, at that location was a good choice, as well as taxies and uber. As opposed to trying to figure out subways or buses, or driving on our own

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
The only thing I might be concerned about Liberty Harbor is I read on the reviews about some low voltage problems during peak summer times. That aside we would return again to LH, just to close and convenient to NYC.

Mike

We were there last year in mid July (upper 90's) and never had a voltage issue. It is an OK place to park and see NYC, but don't think you'll be sitting outside by your RV.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Any NYC hotel that you'd want to stay in will be at least $300/night.

Another commuting option is Mahlon Dickerson Reservation in Jefferson, NJ. There is a small campground in this Morris County Park that is nearby to bus and trains to Manhattan. Figure about 1:30 each way.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Also check out Croton Point Walking distance to the commuter rail into NYC. It would be possible to make day trips into the city, saving the hotel costs ( and you thought KOAs were expensive!!!).

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When I was stationed at Fort Monmouth, NJ in the Army, several times we'd take off on a bus for New York and we'd stay at the USO. Of course, we were military.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
I have friends staying there right now. No mention of closing down, altho it's probably only a matter of time before there's a high-rise there. Now finding an available site when you want to go may be an issue.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:
From what Iโ€™ve read, Liberty Harbor will not be available for our trip... Repurposed land...

There was a lot of misinformation going on. Unless it has changed just recently itโ€™s still a place to park your RV.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RVcrazy wrote:

There was a lot of misinformation going on. Unless it has changed just recently itโ€™s still a place to park your RV.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
What have you heard? I don't see anything that says they aren't available.

Paying $75/night at the KOA to basically store your camper.
Paying $200/night for a cheap hotel room in the city, plus parking.

That's $275 a night for a single dingy hotel room in the city.

I've paid $100/night, and would pay again, to stay in my camper, with my bed/shower/toilet/kitchen/etc in Liberty Harbor. Its an easy walk to the PATH, or a quick drive through the Holland Tunnel to downtown Manhattan and everything that NYC has to offer.

No juggling suitcases, no checking into a hotel, no worries about where to park while you're there.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS