Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novice looking for an upgrade to Class C

stamp22b
Explorer
Explorer
New to RVing and looking for a Class C.

What models you are considering? Looking at something on the smaller end (22-25’) as drive ability and parking are important. We originally had experience with a Sunseeker on a Mercedes chasis, as our friends purchased a new one in summer 2019. Looked at very many at the Harrisburg PA show, but narrowed them down to Entegra Odyssey on Ford 350 and Chevy, and then Minnie Winnie also on Ford.

Lifestyle? We are 50s empty nesters who live in an urban loft apartment and only limited summer parking for camper/RV and then storage for winter. We have had a Intech Luna (Teardrop) for two seasons and really like it for size and some luxury. But, with our group that we camp with, 5-6 times per season, going to nicer RV parks, we’re finding the need for facilities a much greater issue. Originally were interested in Nest and keeping to a light towable behind a smaller Jeep. But increasing interest in much further travels beyond season to season camping is leading us to RVs.

How do you intend to use it? Both summer camping and 2-3 trips per year.

How many people? 2 mostly but on occasion another couple who will need some comfort.
Do you like to cook and have space, or do you like comfort on a couch? Couch is much less of an issue, but really so is cooking space. We’re outdoor folk and really enjoy the outdoor galley kitchen of the teardrop.

Do you need an overhead bed, or an entertainment center? Second bed for couple would be a good feature. Don’t need entertainment center, and kind of turned off by the outdoor TVs on many of the Class Cs, but also would need to add something to Nest when there are only plus and nothing installed.

Are you new to RV's? Yes, have only used a towable

We drove the Ford Chasis and it was so very truck like that it was a turnoff campared to Sprinter. Have heard just recently that Ford coming out with a new one for 2020. Will this be on the level of Merc. sprinter?

Advice from all of you Pros?
19 REPLIES 19

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
I have found my new to me 2018 Redhawk 22J to be OK. It's not top shelf good, like my 2014 F150 is, but it's not a continuous "white knuckle" affair as soon as I get up to my 60-63 cruising speed.

I still plan on getting my own front end alignment done, making sire the caster is +5.5 or better. I also plan on getting a Road Master reflex steering stabilizer. When I hit pot holes which is inevitable on most interstates, the front wheels do seem to flutter back and forth a little before settling back to a straight position.

pnichols wrote:
I'm a bit of an outlier, I guess.

Our E450 24ft Class C has handled just fine right from the time I drove it new off the dealer's lot. I've always attributed it to the chassis being well within it's specifications in carrying only the weight of a small Class C.

It's cab floor has never been overly warm, but it does have heat shields underneath between the cab flooring and the engine exhaust pipes coming from each side of the V10.

It used to ride rough in the rear, probably due to it's rear suspension having weight rated leaf springs and shocks well beyond what the loaded coach requires. I eliminated the rough ride in the rear by installing special rear shocks. I don't think of this issue as a "handling" problem, per se. Probably a stock Chevy 4500 chassis under a small Class C would also ride rough in the rear.

I'm 6'2" and can still get by OK in the cab driving and when leaving the driver's seat to go into the coach.

In other than with a Ford E450 or Chevy 4500 chassis, how's does one find a heavy duty chassis under a small Class C in the U.S.? IMHO, the other chassis types now being used for small Class C motorhomes in the U.S. can be too close to their design maximums under certain conditions when in motion.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a bit of an outlier, I guess.

Our E450 24ft Class C has handled just fine right from the time I drove it new off the dealer's lot. I've always attributed it to the chassis being well within it's specifications in carrying only the weight of a small Class C.

It's cab floor has never been overly warm, but it does have heat shields underneath between the cab flooring and the engine exhaust pipes coming from each side of the V10.

It used to ride rough in the rear, probably due to it's rear suspension having weight rated leaf springs and shocks well beyond what the loaded coach requires. I eliminated the rough ride in the rear by installing special rear shocks. I don't think of this issue as a "handling" problem, per se. Probably a stock Chevy 4500 chassis under a small Class C would also ride rough in the rear.

I'm 6'2" and can still get by OK in the cab driving and when leaving the driver's seat to go into the coach.

In other than with a Ford E450 or Chevy 4500 chassis, how does one find a heavy duty chassis under a small Class C in the U.S.? IMHO, the other chassis types now being used for small Class C motorhomes in the U.S. can be too close to their design maximums under certain conditions when in motion.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

eadeal55
Explorer
Explorer
We downsized from a 34ft gas Class A to a 25ft diesel Class C. We looked at a lot of smaller B and C motorhomes and liked the Tiffin Wayfarer on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis.
Andy & Lee + Molly, the 4 lb Chihuahua
2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW...towing a
2007 Chevy HHR LT2 w/2.4L EcoTec,
Blue Ox Aventa LX, Brake Buddy Classic
FMCA #F359977 - Colonial Virginians, Past President 2012-14, 2018

jdelduco
Explorer
Explorer
I too have also owned both a Ford 31ft Forest River Sunseeker and a Chevy 24ft Thor Chateau. The Ford was definitely louder and had less room around the dog house. The floor got especially hot. The Chevy had more leg room, was quieter, and drove better. They both had issues right out of the gate. The ford would die going down the road for no reason. It would then go for a while and cut out again. I don't remember the resolution. The Chevy would start fine for days. Then sit for a while and wouldn't crank, then when it would crank it wouldn't start. It ended up being the start and fuel pump relay. Evidently they don't like sitting unused. It took some time to diagnose both vehicles due to the intermittent nature of the problems.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
Pirate wrote:
I see many of the comments go toward Chevy vs Ford on the C. Is there any real good reason other than the Ford vs Chevy?
The Ford E450 and the Chevy 4500 are the only two "conventional" class C chassis that exceed 25 feet in length. Shorter models open up more chassis options such as the Ford E350, Ford Transit, Chevy 3500, Mercedes Sprinter, and Dodge Promaster.

The Ford E350 and E450 are most affordable, most capable, and most friendly for wheel base adjustments which is why they are most popular. But they are the least comfortable, handle worse, are least fuel efficient, and are most noisy which is why the others are in the game. I personally don't find the deficiencies to be but only a minor nuisance except for the poor handling of which I was able to address our E350 rig with some aftermarket suspension upgrades. To be even more fair about it, I wonder how the other chassis' would fair if used in the exact same application with the exact same wheel base.

I would agree with most of this,the house part on both chassis will be
identical from what I have observed. But as Ron has said the Fords are the least comfortable, handle worse, are least fuel efficient, and are most noisy.

As for the thing that was bought up was how the two different chassis would fair in the same application and same wheelbase,here is what I know.

The Tioga 26Q that I have is on a Chevy Chassis

I drove more than a dozen of the same RV all on the Ford E350 Chassis,the Chassis wheelbase is the same as those on the Chevy 3500 Chassis. The Chevy based RV rode better and overall was all around a better choice for me.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've been driving Ford vans since '71, and a Chevy company van, service van in 79 & 80, and 3 different class C Fords vans, since '89, and have never had a problem. Of corse they drive different from a car, but still no problem and no special changes is suspension.

Dusty

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
I see many of the comments go toward Chevy vs Ford on the C. Is there any real good reason other than the Ford vs Chevy?
The Ford E450 and the Chevy 4500 are the only two "conventional" class C chassis that exceed 25 feet in length. Shorter models open up more chassis options such as the Ford E350, Ford Transit, Chevy 3500, Mercedes Sprinter, and Dodge Promaster.

The Ford E350 and E450 are most affordable, most capable, and most friendly for wheel base adjustments which is why they are most popular. But they are the least comfortable, handle worse, are least fuel efficient, and are most noisy which is why the others are in the game. I personally don't find the deficiencies to be but only a minor nuisance except for the poor handling of which I was able to address our E350 rig with some aftermarket suspension upgrades. To be even more fair about it, I wonder how the other chassis' would fair if used in the exact same application with the exact same wheel base.

The Super C category of class Cs are in a league of their own, built on serious truck chassis's.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
We love our 2019 Coachman Leprechaun 210RS. About 24.9 feet. Chevy engine. Perfect for the 2 of us & our dog. Queen size walk around bed. Cab over bed which we use for storage, but stuff could easily be removed for sleepovers for guests. Storage space is amazing for this size MH. We’ve had it since 09/18 - lots of trips - only problem is that vent covers cracked. Comfy dinette (which can also be made into a bed). Generator. Actually, every amenity that we could possibly need. We never feel cramped, but we are mostly outside anyway. Good luck with your search.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at Lazy Daze and the Minnie Winnie (25B). Went with a bigger unit for personal reasons (like elbow room) and no regrets. I love driving it and have no trouble parking or setting up. Walk around any campground and 80% of the campers will have slides. Glad I went with the crowd on that one. Seriously considered both LD and the 25B prior to purchase. LD is too expensive and has it's own issues. The 25B had no counter space, not even an extension. But the fit and finish and fact that it has a couch, dinette, FT bed, cab over bed and storage under dinette were all very good compared to others we looked at.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
5-6 times a year? Between what you'll pay in storage plus the costs of ownership, you might be better off renting.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
My advice to you is to find a floorplan that you can live with regarding living space, storage space and ease of usable space.
You don't want things to be too cramped. The only way to find out without actually buying one is to rent one or spend a few hours in various floorplans 'roll playing' that your camping in it. Make a list of your stuff and configure where it's going to be stored and how your stuff will be used.

All rvs no matter how much you spend have problems. Don't think if you buy one that's more expensive that it will be less problematic.
I found the best and most honest info was from the mechanics who repair them. I found a few rv mechanics that actually steered me away from buying units that have frequent recurring issues, saving me thousands of up front dollars.

If you desire more detailed info, feel free to send me a PM and I will go through things with you.

Good luck in your decision.

Regards, Bob

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would look at some of the 24 ft C's with a full wall slide. You get a lot more room inside and a queen bed, not the corner bed. Some of the models that have this configuration are the Thor 24f, Jayco 24B, Leprechaun 240FS, Chateau 24BL and 24F. They also come on the Chevy and Sprinter chassis. Some have more storage than others, the Sprinter models that I have seen have less storage and CCC.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Choice of length and floor plan , slides or no slides, Class C versus A should be based on how you will ultimately use the motorhome and the personality of you and your partner (if any) For a few nearby camping trips per year a smallish, modestly priced rig may suffice. If one or both partners want 'all of the comforts of home' and want a full size queen bed with access on all three sides, and a large bathroom and galley, washer and dryer (etc., etc.) you may want a fairly large Class A, perhaps with a diesel pusher engine. Having once owned a versatile bubble top 'Family Wagon' van conversion, I sometimes wish we had a modern Road Trek Class B rig. Road Trek and similar widened van conversions are more expensive than similar class C motorhomes but can be used for commuting and casual use in days at local parks and events more easily than Class C's and A's.