cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

? Disney Ft Wilderness (& Fishing)

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Spending an April week at Disney's Fort Wilderness. Looking for any & all comments about the campground itself. We're not doing any of the parks, no interest in them at all, have more than a lifetime worth experience at them.

Also any comments regarding non-guided fishing at Disney. Florida license needed for fishing the canals or lakes/ponds? We'll spend the fishing money on the Gulf and the Atlantic (half day on each).
13 REPLIES 13

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I still fish there and so do others. The park rangers come by and ask how the fishing is. The problem is you can't go past the fences that were installed after the boy was killed so fishing is more difficult. I've fished along the canal behind the 300 loop and there are some nice bass there. The guided fishing trips look great but pricey.

The key is to look for the warning signs about alligators and snakes that DO NOT have the "No Fishing" sign above them.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

Lantley wrote:
mgirardo wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
This has changed since the little boy was killed...
While I was there this year, I saw security ushering folks away from the canal with pole in hand several times. This was in 2 different areas... 1 was on the main road over near the pool entrance, and the other was back in loop 300..

NOW.. You used to be able to fish in the pond at the bike barn, I am NOT SURE about that, I do not remember if there were anyone doing that ?????

That is a shame. We saw folks fishing when we were there in April, but I guess security just hadn't reached them yet.

-Michael

Unfortunately they can't guarantee your safety vs. the critters therefore they are left no choice but to shut down access to the water.

Very True...

BUT, they still offer canoe rentals in the pond near the bike barn and the waterway that loops around the pool and tennis courts..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
mgirardo wrote:
ford truck guy wrote:
While I was there this year, I saw security ushering folks away from the canal with pole in hand several times. This was in 2 different areas... 1 was on the main road over near the pool entrance, and the other was back in loop 300..

NOW.. You used to be able to fish in the pond at the bike barn, I am NOT SURE about that, I do not remember if there were anyone doing that ?????

That is a shame. We saw folks fishing when we were there in April, but I guess security just hadn't reached them yet.

-Michael

Unfortunately they can't guarantee your safety vs. the critters therefore they are left no choice but to shut down access to the water.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

This was my understanding as well. Looking deeper, it does look like there might still be a dockside option (I believe they have this at Port Orleans as well), but the canals at Fort Wilderness are littered with 'don't go here' signs that emerged after the tragedy at the Grand Floridian a few years back.

mgirardo wrote:
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
This is correct - you can't fish on your own on WDW property. If you want to fish on property, you'll have to book a charter.

This is only partly correct. If you want to fish in Bay Lake (at the campground) or any other Lake in WDW, you will need to book a guided fishing trip. You can fish in the Canals and the small ponds throughout the campground on your own. I have seen people catch fish in the canals and the dock near the pool.

-Michael

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Mickeyfan0805 wrote:
This is correct - you can't fish on your own on WDW property. If you want to fish on property, you'll have to book a charter.

This is only partly correct. If you want to fish in Bay Lake (at the campground) or any other Lake in WDW, you will need to book a guided fishing trip. You can fish in the Canals and the small ponds throughout the campground on your own. I have seen people catch fish in the canals and the dock near the pool.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure about fishing, but you can rent boats at the campground. I have only stayed there once but like another said, you need transportation once you are in the park. Either a bike or a golf cart. There is really no car parking once you get into the campground so you can't really use your toad (if you have one). There is a ton of golf cart parking. We rented a golf cart and it was definitely worth the expense.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:

As far as non guided fishing on Disney Property... It is strictly forbidden ! ! It has been for a long time, and after that poor little boy was eaten by a gator a few years back right on the beach in front of his parents, you can't get near the water...

As for the campground, we absolutely love it. It is HUGE, so you need to plan for getting around the campground. Bikes work, or you can rent golf carts. There is also a bus system that gets you around just fine, it simply requires a bit of patience.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use an inline water filter. In 2009 I camped there and got sand in my water system. Still in there when I traded that RV off in 2017.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
dcmac214 wrote:
Spending an April week at Disney's Fort Wilderness. Looking for any & all comments about the campground itself. We're not doing any of the parks, no interest in them at all, have more than a lifetime worth experience at them.

Also any comments regarding non-guided fishing at Disney. Florida license needed for fishing the canals or lakes/ponds? We'll spend the fishing money on the Gulf and the Atlantic (half day on each).

There is a lot of fishing available but they control it. All fishing is catch and release.

Here is their page on it:
Fishing at Disney
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
You do need a Fishing license. I have a salt water license now and have purchased a non - resident fresh water license. You may be able to get a combo license. The Florida F & G website is pretty user friendly. I have been buying an annual non-resident online and just carry the numbers with me. One F & G officer told me it had to be printed out, but I didn't have access to a printer. Been checked a couple of times, gave them the confirmation numbers and they were happy. Of course I was not breaking the law either. Tried buying at a retail store 2 times and it was a pain, either very long wait or " their computer was down ".

Also, if you are only going charter fishing I think the boat license will cover you. You might want to double check that.

dcmac214 wrote:

As far as non guided fishing on Disney Property... It is strictly forbidden ! ! It has been for a long time, and after that poor little boy was eaten by a gator a few years back right on the beach in front of his parents, you can't get near the water...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7