Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coiled outside shower

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Another of my many stupid questions...

My new rig has an outside shower with one of the newer coiled, quick connect attachments. I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect the darn thing. I push back the nozzle the way you're supposed to, but it doesn't fully attach. I was able to winterize it, but I got drenched in antifreeze because it wouldn't fully connect.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
13 REPLIES 13

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use my outside shower frequently during the summer. I have an advantage because I own the property we camp on most summer weekends. Most public campgrounds, state of fed, do not allow dumping any grey water on the ground. The first couple of times that I hooked it up were a pain but with use, it works better.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully, by now, you have figured it out. If not schlep1967 (above) has the right approach.

My previous camper had the same quick disconnect and I could never remove it. It came with two different attachments. I eneded up leaving the coiled blue hose on it, and then once on, I could never get it off.

My current 5er is one year old now. I keep the blue coiled hose disconnected, hoping it will not freeze on like the last camper did. .... until today. I removed it yesterday and today I absolutely could NOT get it to go back on.

But, here's what I tried and it worked. First, I turned the water pump off and opened a faucet to relieve all pressure on the water lines.

I then sprayed the male and female ends with WD40. That did not do it yet.

I eventually realized there was a metal copper looking cap inside the faucet connection. At first, I thought the quick disconnect had broken and part of it might still be in there. But the ends did not look broken. I then took a small screw driver and pushed inside the female end, right in the middle of that copper cap inside the hole. And sure enough, it was spring loaded, and when I pushed hard enough, it moved!

I did not beat on it, I just simply pushed hard with the screwdriver and I felt it break free. I then turned the water pump back on and tried it again. This time, when I pushed, water squirted and when I quit pushing that center thing, the spring behind it pushed it shut.

I then went inside and turned the pump off again, let the pressure off with the kitchen sink, and then the blue hose attached very easy again, like it use to.

My best guess is, even though I've been putting it on and off multiple times over the last year, somethow, lime or calcium built up around that metal cap in front of the spring, just enough to prevent it from easily moving. By pushing with the screwdriver, instead of the blue hose end, I was able to get more pressure and break whatever was preventing it from moving. I then turned the water pump back on.

I figure, with this camper, I have only 1 hose atachment for that quick disconnect, so, I just decided, I'll never remove it again now. If it siezes shut again with the hose attached, I suppose the only solution would be to cut the blue hose right at the metal attachment, then simply put a small screwdriver right in the middle and push that cap inside the hole free again so that spring and cap inside the quick disconnect will move again. Then I'll have to buy a new coiled hose.

Anyway, several folks above hit the nail right on the head, but had only had partial answers. It takes all 3 steps: Water pressure, WD40, and pushing that spring loaded cap inside the female end (but don't beat it, just push gentle, but firm until it moves. )... good luck!

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear that (for once) it's not just something else I was clueless about.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
blofgren wrote:
... the last time I used mine I got soaked anyway because the hose developed a bunch of small cracks. :M
I thought getting soaked was the point of an outside shower. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
They are difficult to get connected properly; to make it worse the last time I used mine I got soaked anyway because the hose developed a bunch of small cracks. :M
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine sticks from lack of use. Makes it impossible to push the quick connect in. I take a srew driver and put it into the hole and give it a light smack with my hand. Once I do that I can easily insert the quick connect. YMMV
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
12thgenusa wrote:
Turn off the pump or city water, open a tap to bleed the pressure and the quick connect is much easier to connect/disconnect.
The water pressure has no effect on the quick disconnect unless the faucet is turned on. Ours works pretty well, but does take a bit of a push to get it to engage.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Turn off the pump or city water, open a tap to bleed the pressure and the quick connect is much easier to connect/disconnect.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
Or you can do what i did i disconnected mine all together that way i don't have to winterizer it in all the different trailers i have owned we have only used the outside shower once.
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I used some plumbers silicon grease on mine. Yep, they are a PITA.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
push collar in, insert male end, then while pushing in...pull the collar out to seat the collar
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Try this. It helped with mine.

Push the coupler back and spray wd-40 in between the part that slides and the inner part that doesn't. Also put wd-40 on male part before insterting.

I've had to lubricate my air fittings also. On those I use oil.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

bobbyg123 wrote:
Another of my many stupid questions...

My new rig has an outside shower with one of the newer coiled, quick connect attachments. I can't for the life of me figure out how to connect the darn thing. I push back the nozzle the way you're supposed to, but it doesn't fully attach. I was able to winterize it, but I got drenched in antifreeze because it wouldn't fully connect.

my last 3 all had/have that.. It is a Royal P.I.T.A to get all the way inserted, You have to really push the coupling ring ALL THE WAY BACK for it to accept the male part of the hose....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet