cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which route

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
We have been in Old St Charles, Mo. since Aug. 1 and will be heading home to Ca. by way of Bakersfield . Have always taken the route through Tulsa and Okie city catching I 40. My GPS asks if I wanted to avoid toll roads. I never have and has been no problem but wonder if any of you have taken the route avoiding Toll and if it is better.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
10 REPLIES 10

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
One trip, running fat, I got on US 50 just west of St Louis, and stayed on that out to Hutchinson Ks, dropped south west on a state highway to pick up US 54. Crossed the interstate at Tucumcari. 50 runs the interstate in KC area. All good roads in a overloaded semi, likely not the most scenic, but better than a interstate. I did not have the time to see...

That SW road to 54 would be KS 61.
MY favorite route across Kansas.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
paulj must have never visited the North East US---I have been on dirt roads that were in better condition than the PA or NJ turnpikes. But in some places the toll roads are the best bet.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
I'v done US 50 from St. Louis and Dodge City and it's a fine road. "Scenic" and crossing Kansas really don't go together, but interstates are even less so. Stop in Liberal KS if you are a Wizard of Oz fan. Dodge City was a hoot.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are the tolls? short distances in either Kansas or Oklahoma? Those aren't exactly the scenic parts of the drive, are they?

Mapping programs give the no-toll option because some people don't like to pay tolls, or worse, encounter unknown tolls. Toll roads aren't necessarily better or worse. In theory they might even be better, since they should have their own dedicated maintenance funding. But whether a road is toll or now is largely matter of history - many were created before the Interstate program started.

It's one thing to avoid interstates in a state like Missouri, and quite another in New Mexico. Highway density is a lot higher in the Midwest, and a number of major ones are divided, even if they aren't part of the Interstate program.

But if you really want to get off the beaten track I hear there are some lovely gravel roads in Kansas! People come from all around the world to race 200 miles on those roads in the Dirty Kanza (Emporia KS).

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We avoid tolls and interstates whenever possible. Lots of interesting things to see and do. Just make sure you're not in a hurry. You'll see interesting churches, farmhouses, cafes and everything in between. Stop and smell the roses along the way. Lot's of working folks in the midwest. Up at dawn and asleep just after dusk....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have my GPS set to avoid tolls. Don't like paying them. I also set the GPS to avoid highways. However, this setting can lead to some crazy routing. I keep a paper map and Google map to check.

JRscooby just gave the route I usually take to cross Kansas. Two lanes can be nice. It is usually what I take.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
One trip, running fat, I got on US 50 just west of St Louis, and stayed on that out to Hutchinson Ks, dropped south west on a state highway to pick up US 54. Crossed the interstate at Tucumcari. 50 runs the interstate in KC area. All good roads in a overloaded semi, likely not the most scenic, but better than a interstate. I did not have the time to see...

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Almost all routes are more scenic than an interstate.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Do you just want to avoid the one toll stretch of I-44 from the OK/ MO state line to OKC? Or avoid interstates altogether?
There are almost always good US highways somewhat paralleling the interstates that are more scenic but typically slower due to going thru towns with reduced speed limits and traffic lights. But that is the preferred way to travel by many.

I was mainly curious because the GPS asked me if I wanted to avoid tolls. Also wondered if it was a more scenic route.
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Do you just want to avoid the one toll stretch of I-44 from the OK/ MO state line to OKC? Or avoid interstates altogether?
There are almost always good US highways somewhat paralleling the interstates that are more scenic but typically slower due to going thru towns with reduced speed limits and traffic lights. But that is the preferred way to travel by many.