cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heat strip

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone put a heat strip in there Coleman AC? Is it worth the money or just a waste of money?
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
9 REPLIES 9

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I added one in my first RV. 1500 watts is simply not a lot of heat.

My 2nd rv came with one installed and has ducted roof air. That meant having a thermostat--that was a nice way to keep the RV warm--within the limits of what 1500 watts can handle.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I have a heat strip and it does keep the trailer warm when outside temperatures are above 45 degrees. The biggest advantage is that it takes up no space unlike a portable heater that needs considerable clearance around it. It also is ready to go at a flick of the thermostat. I think that many expect to feel hot air coming out the vents, but it is only a bit warmer and the air movement makes it feel like there is no heat, a little patience will result in possibly enough heat. Now when it gets colder, I break out my portable "fireplace" and plug it into a dedicated residential outlet.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have a installed toe kick heater in a couple of our mh. They are a very small electric furnace. I hook them to the same circuit as the AC. They use a remote T-stat, which can be programable. They work very well and are not in the way like a portable floor heater.

Dusty

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
they are a waste of time and money. a $18 ceramic cube heater is more practical, and doesn't lose heat to ductwork if the rv is so equipped.
bumpy

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
They are only designed to take the "Chill" out of the air. NOT to Heat. Doug

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
joebedford wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Small ceramic heaters are cheap and quiet.
Agreed. However, I got nervous about running 1500W through a cheap RV receptacle because the plugs were heating up (probably the receptacles), so I installed 2 dedicated circuits with residential receptacles. Now I can run 2 ceramics to without worry.
X2 Similar setup. One circuit can be easily used with an extension cord when using a 30A pedestal.

Not only are my Monaco receptacles "cheap" the primary usable ones are on a single inverter output and there are "only" 14 plugs on that circuit.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
CA Traveler wrote:
Agreed. However, I got nervous about running 1500W through a cheap RV receptacle because the plugs were heating up (probably the receptacles), so I installed 2 dedicated circuits with residential receptacles. Now I can run 2 ceramics to without worry.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we have one in each of our trailers. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

The heat strip is about the same as a small portable heater for output, 1500ish watts, or 4500ish BTU. Don't expect it to warm up the trailer much, but it usually will hold the temp. Advantage is that with ducted air, it will circulate air to the far parts of the trailer. Downside is that the noise is about the same as running the AC, quiter than the gas furnace,noisier than a small portable electric heater. Disadvantage is cost.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!