cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Handling advise

CaptainCal
Explorer
Explorer
After 11 years of owning a 28 ft. class c ,I just bought a 2004 Safari Trek,29RBD with 36,000 miles. It is on a workhorse chassis but I do not know which model.
I only drove it for 30 miles on 2 lane roads and 15 miles on the highway. It would sway even when passenger cars would pass. I was hoping that a semi would pass to see what would happen but didn't meet any. I am 1400 miles from home base at my son's house and he has a place for me to make repairs.
What I need to know is what do I need to do to the suspension to get this rig to handle rock solid ?
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
wolfe10 wrote:
Another quick check would be to check the sway bar bushings. At 15 years old, they could be shot. Replacing with polyurethane bushings is a quick and pretty inexpensive upgrade.

On most vehicles I'd agree with that. On a "W" you may be surprised at the lack of said bushings..

That said
Sway bars (a type of torsion bar) helps to restrict sway
New shocks there is one brand (I do not recall) recommended also help I'm told

There is another handling issue (Wag) you go down the road wagging the rear of the RV.. (someone following in what will become your towed can see it) TRAC bars stop this One front one rear and it simply does not happen any more 100% cured... I only put on a front and it helped.

Now I also added a Steering stabilizer Two I recommend

Blue Ox Tru-Center (When I got mine it was the only one I could adjust from the driver's seat) Safe-T-Steer with the optional remote adjustment module.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The close to maximum weight on the front axle applies to most every vehicle. Basically to change the front end weight all you have to do is rearrange some of the items that are in front of the rear axle.

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
On my Trek I noticed an improvement when I added the AirTabs to the rear of my coach. I also had four corner air bags which I could control from the dash to stiffen them up if there were heavy crosswinds. I had the True-center steering stabilizer which also provided some directional stability.
I never felt the need for a trac bar, or any other suspension mod. It is important to load your Trek as you would travel and get it weighed on all four corners or at least the front and rear axles. The rig will handle better if the front axle is loaded close to the MAX weight allowable and the tire air pressure adjusted for the weight.

Does this theory also apply to the p30 with an independent front end? Also how would i add weight to the front if needed?
1993 fleetwood coronado 30โ€™ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Trek I noticed an improvement when I added the AirTabs to the rear of my coach. I also had four corner air bags which I could control from the dash to stiffen them up if there were heavy crosswinds. I had the True-center steering stabilizer which also provided some directional stability.
I never felt the need for a trac bar, or any other suspension mod. It is important to load your Trek as you would travel and get it weighed on all four corners or at least the front and rear axles. The rig will handle better if the front axle is loaded close to the MAX weight allowable and the tire air pressure adjusted for the weight.

Al_Jones
Explorer
Explorer
My coach was hard to handle. I took it to a shop and wanted the front end alignment done, Steering stabilizer, new shocks, oil change, flush and new fluid and filter to the transmission. They said well that's a pretty good list but they wanted to do an inspection of the chassis and see what did and did not need to be done.

Turns out front end alignment was done, they said the shocks were fairly new the steering stabilizer was fairly new and the transmission had been serviced because it had an after market filter on it.

They did find that the dash air conditioner compressor was leaking Freon. So I had that replaced.

So I had a front end alignment, oil change, dash air repair and they aired up all the tires to the correct pressure.

All shops do not try to rip you off. The rig did drive better after they were done.

I still had the 'tail wagging the dog' thing going on when passed by big rigs or in the wind.

I installed a rear track bar by SuperSteer. Now the coach drives like a dream.

Coach is 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34' with 34000 miles with the 8.1 gas motor and Alison 1000 transmission on a W22 workhorse frame.

This should be enough information to get you going in the right direction......
Al, Cindy and Kisses the professional sleeper
2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34PDT
Toad 2019 Chevy Spark

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
First place to always start is with a suspension inspection and alignment. You can throw all sorts of stuff at it, if things are loose nothing will help.

The only problem with that is:
All too many places will scam you with expensive work that does NOT need to be done.
If the first place says you need $1000 worth of suspension work, get a second opinion.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
First place to always start is with a suspension inspection and alignment. You can throw all sorts of stuff at it, if things are loose nothing will help.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Octaneforce wrote:
Sounds like you need a supersteer trac bar. I just did one on my p30. Its not going to turn the rig into an f1 car but it does alleviete what your describing.

https://supersteerparts.com/product/motorhome/class-a/gm-chevy-chasis-p30-32/p32-rear-trac-bar-u-bolts-rear-disc/

NO, that link/product is for the P30 chassis.

The OP has a W chassis.

Depending on GVWR of his W chassis, here are track bars (which I agree are an excellent upgrade for the suspension):

https://supersteerparts.com/shop/motorhome/class-a/workhorse-chasis/
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Octaneforce
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you need a supersteer trac bar. I just did one on my p30. Its not going to turn the rig into an f1 car but it does alleviete what your describing.

https://supersteerparts.com/product/motorhome/class-a/gm-chevy-chasis-p30-32/p32-rear-trac-bar-u-bolts-rear-disc/
1993 fleetwood coronado 30โ€™ class a chuggin along with a tbi 454
An On demand hot water heater was the best thing i ever did

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
CaptainCal wrote:

What I need to know is what do I need to do to the suspension to get this rig to handle rock solid ?

It may never be "rock solid".

It has about as much side wind resistance as the side of a barn.
And there is NO steering "feedback" and no good sense of slow deviation from a good line......so constant attention is required.

No doubt that you can improve things some but I think you will soon notice that big vehicles overtaking from the REAR will tend to push the BACK off line......and that is not due to a fault in the suspension.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

CaptainCal
Explorer
Explorer
It has a solid axle. I asked the previous owner if he had done any suspension work, he said no. Socks look to be stock. The rig has made one trip to Alaska so the stock may be shot. Does anyone know of the Bilstein shock model number and part number that will fit.
there isn't any sway bars on the front being a straight axle and none on the rear. Any advice would be helpful. Thank You.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Have the shocks ever been replaced?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
To quickly tell which Workhorse chassis you have, look under the front.

W has a solid front axle.
P has independent front suspension (kind of like a large version of a Chevy PU).

They are different enough that most advice for one does not carry over to the other.

Another quick check would be to check the sway bar bushings. At 15 years old, they could be shot. Replacing with polyurethane bushings is a quick and pretty inexpensive upgrade.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
The best advice I can offer is to become a member of Trek Tracks http://www.trektraxs.com/ That site is dedicated solely to supporting Trek owners of all age.

That's excellent advice. I'm sure Trek Tracks can advise you on the best way to correct your problem.