cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaining Altitude

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
This summer, Yoly and I tried to escape the intense Georgia summer heat and humidity by escaping to the high altitude breezes of the Rocky Mountains and surrounding areas. The cross country trip was less than fun due to the record breaking heat wave across the nation. We averaged 355 miles a day for 4 days to get to Limon, Colorado. On Day 5 we finally saw some elevation and finally our first camp above 9,000 feet. I thought some of you might enjoy the beautiful Colorado scenery and maybe recognize your rig in the video. I think I counted 5 TCs, not including Serenity.

Hope you enjoy our day's journey .... Day 5 - Finally, Altitude !

I will be editing and uploading videos of all the campsites we visited on our journey. If you think that you'd like to see more of these, please let me know .... I'm never sure if it's ok to post videos here or not.
14 REPLIES 14

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoyed the videos, thanks for posting, keep up the good work.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a fun trip, I’d suggest staying out of campgrounds for the next trip here, at least some of your nights. There’s lot’s of legal dispersed camping here in Western Colorado. I’d be happy to suggest some spots in our side of the state.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Day 9 - We leave our roadside overnight spot on Trough Rd and head south to Heaton Bay Campground in the White River National Forest. It was full by 2 pm on a Thursday so we just checked it out and headed for higher altitudes and cooler weather. We stopped in Leadville and checked with the visitor center where we were told about Halfmoon Campground and the availability of dispersed camping along the forest road leading to the campground. We found a nice spot but only spent the one night as it was also plagued by black flies and mosquitoes. When will it end ?

Day 9 - Heaton Bay Campground and Halfmoon Rd dispersed camping

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Awesome, thanks for sharing!
Makes me want to move back to CO!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
In the summer from 120F in Las Vegas takes me about 40 minutes to drive to Mt Charleston to walk on the snow most of the year.

On one of the days we saw 88 degrees at just over 11,000 feet !
Much hotter than we were expecting and unlike 2 years ago when we explored Colorado, black flies and mosquitoes everywhere we went.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
In the summer from 120F in Las Vegas takes me about 40 minutes to drive to Mt Charleston to walk on the snow most of the year.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
We had planned on taking secondary routes and setting a leisurely pace but the unbearable heat (and worse even, humidity) that filled the middle of the country forced us to set a quick pace on Interstate 70. We had also planned on getting an Easy Start to run our 15K BTU A/C with our EU2000i which would have been a game changer, but instead chose to use that money towards a set of air bags. No regrets there !

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few years ago Reno had a long hot spell. One day it was 107. I called two friends and we hiked up to Bishop Pass in the Sierra. We had frost every night.

TCINTN
Explorer
Explorer
I just left Colorado where we spent 3 months,mostly fishing, in the western part of the state. We are now back in Tennessee and it is hot. Truly enjoyed 30-40 degree nights and 70's during the day. Since we have gone that way so many times we do everything we can to stay away from I-70 across country into Denver. Lately we have taken hwy 84 across Ok into New Mexico then move on North but not on I-25.
Enjoyed your trip video
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Travels with Yoly wrote:
Two Hands wrote:
Thank you for posting! I liked watching the video. I would have liked it better if there was less driving footage. What were the camping discounts?

That's pretty much all we did all day, driving that is. I'm trying to make a video of each day regardless of what we did. The scenery is quite unique and beautiful (compared to the east coast where we're from) so I wanted to capture what that journey was like. The 50% discount was provided by our annual National Parks pass.

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Two Hands wrote:
Thank you for posting! I liked watching the video. I would have liked it better if there was less driving footage. What were the camping discounts?

That's pretty much all we did all day, driving that is. I'm trying to make a video of each day regardless of what we did. The scenery is quite unique and beautiful (compared to the east coast where we're from) so I wanted to capture what that journey was like.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colorado is the place to do it.