Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Gaining Altitude
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Gaining Altitude

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This summer, Yoly and I tried to escape the intense Georgia summer heat and humidity by escaping to the high altitude breezes of the Rocky Mountains and surrounding areas. The cross country trip was less than fun due to the record breaking heat wave across the nation. We averaged 355 miles a day for 4 days to get to Limon, Colorado. On Day 5 we finally saw some elevation and finally our first camp above 9,000 feet. I thought some of you might enjoy the beautiful Colorado scenery and maybe recognize your rig in the video. I think I counted 5 TCs, not including Serenity.

Hope you enjoy our day's journey .... Day 5 - Finally, Altitude !

I will be editing and uploading videos of all the campsites we visited on our journey. If you think that you'd like to see more of these, please let me know .... I'm never sure if it's ok to post videos here or not.

* This post was edited 10/19/19 01:55pm by Travels with Yoly *

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Colorado is the place to do it.

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for posting! I liked watching the video. I would have liked it better if there was less driving footage. What were the camping discounts?

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two Hands wrote:

Thank you for posting! I liked watching the video. I would have liked it better if there was less driving footage. What were the camping discounts?

That's pretty much all we did all day, driving that is. I'm trying to make a video of each day regardless of what we did. The scenery is quite unique and beautiful (compared to the east coast where we're from) so I wanted to capture what that journey was like.

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travels with Yoly wrote:

Two Hands wrote:

That's pretty much all we did all day, driving that is. I'm trying to make a video of each day regardless of what we did. The scenery is quite unique and beautiful (compared to the east coast where we're from) so I wanted to capture what that journey was like. The 50% discount was provided by our annual National Parks pass.

TCINTN

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just left Colorado where we spent 3 months,mostly fishing, in the western part of the state. We are now back in Tennessee and it is hot. Truly enjoyed 30-40 degree nights and 70's during the day. Since we have gone that way so many times we do everything we can to stay away from I-70 across country into Denver. Lately we have taken hwy 84 across Ok into New Mexico then move on North but not on I-25.
Enjoyed your trip video

"But if not"
"Nevertheless"

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago Reno had a long hot spell. One day it was 107. I called two friends and we hiked up to Bishop Pass in the Sierra. We had frost every night.

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had planned on taking secondary routes and setting a leisurely pace but the unbearable heat (and worse even, humidity) that filled the middle of the country forced us to set a quick pace on Interstate 70. We had also planned on getting an Easy Start to run our 15K BTU A/C with our EU2000i which would have been a game changer, but instead chose to use that money towards a set of air bags. No regrets there !

Travels with Yoly

North Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anyone is interested in some more Colorado scenery ...

Day 6 and 7 - Meadows Campground

Day 8 - Lone Buck Recreation Area, Scout........nds and settling for a roadside evening.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the summer from 120F in Las Vegas takes me about 40 minutes to drive to Mt Charleston to walk on the snow most of the year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Gaining Altitude
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.