Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: Albuquerque Balloon Festival Questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Albuquerque Balloon Festival Questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the bucket list type things the Mrs & I have is to take in the big annual balloon fest but we're unsure how to approach it from the RV side of things. We're thinking perhaps the 2020 one would be a target to attend.

Thought is to go there in the motorhome & stay for x-amt of days (2-3, maybe more?).

Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we checked out their website & are still not feeling which is the best option for people like us (more of less we're weekenders with a medium sized RV & usually rolling with our dogs).

Thanks

2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My brother and his wife are going this year. However, they waited to make reservations and the closer RV parks were all full. They could only get one that was quite a distance away.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an Albuquerque resident, I'll get the suggestions rolling. RV and Motel reservations fill up quick. Book a spot as soon as possible and cancel if plans change. Same goes for the area campgrounds.

A TOAD makes many more things convenient. Public transport to the fiesta grounds is provided by either the RailRunner train system and the local school buses are enlisted for Park and Ride services from places all over town. The Park and Ride doesn't change much from year to year and can be used planning RV locations.

The Balloon Fiesta is very dependent upon the weather. Add flexibility to your itinerary by planning to stay in the area for the week but not necessarily at the fiesta grounds in case the weather forces a change to your plans. There are many mountain camping opportunities (RV park and primitive) within an hour of the fiesta grounds. There are some beautiful places accessible with your rig.

If you'd like more specific suggestions of places to stay and things to do, please feel free to reach out.

Regards,
Cliff

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two Hands - Would love to hear what they thought if you get any feedback from them post-fiesta!

Cliff - Will take you up on your offer! We're thinking it'd be cool to stay at the fiesta grounds (at least for maybe 2 nights) but have no idea what the difference really is between the options they have to pick from. I lived in NM for a # of years but not in the ABQ area although I am a bit familiar with ABQ & the surrounding area. I took full advantage of the NM outdoors back in the day... absolutely killer place to do nature for sure.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV park rates go through the roof.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been to this, but wouldn't there be some boondocking spots nearby?

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went some years ago. Stayed at Enchanted Trails RV Park (with reservations far ahead). They offered a shuttle van to take us to and from the festival grounds (for a fee). Much less hassle for us. Have no idea what goes on now, but you might call a few RV parks to find out if they do this.

I've heard that staying at the festival grounds is the best experience though.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Powertour

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Janss wrote:

I've heard that staying at the festival grounds is the best experience though.

Kinda what I've heard as well that's why I'm thinking of taking a run at staying there for at least a couple of days.

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How far in advance are reservations suggested and or excepted by local campgrounds or the festival it self

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went to the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in Oct 2018 and enjoyed the heck out of it. Here are our observations.

1) absolutely get your reservations as early as possible, as they do go quickly, especially for the weekends and especially for the on-site campgrounds.
2) because half the action on weekends and ALL of the action during the week happens right at dawn, get yourself booked into on-site camping so you don't have to get up at midnight and fight your way into the festival grounds. Trust me on this, there is a HUGE difference between getting up at 5 or 6 am and walking to the festival vs getting up at 3 or 4 am, driving to the festival grounds (or better, to one of the shuttle sites). Camping fees are through the roof anyway, and only $10 or so cheaper off-site.
3) be aware that on-site camping is nearly all boon docking, so be prepared to bring your own water and electric.

I think reservations open up right after the end of the festival. That is not too soon to get yours.

The sights, the sounds, and the beauty of a thousand (give or take a few hundred) balloons of all sizes, shapes, and descriptions launching or even just lighting up the grounds/sky is a sight to behold. Take a good camera with you, you are going to need it.

My bride (of now 51 years, that was our present to each other last year for 50 years of wedded bliss) and I highly recommend this event.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Albuquerque Balloon Festival Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.