cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire cables or chains

bbeezzz
Explorer
Explorer
How many folks carry tire chains or cables for their motor home? Our Winnebago Sunstar is 18000 pounds and we are planning to travel mid October from Calgary to Spokane then further west to the coast and south to California.
17 REPLIES 17

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CFerguson wrote:
Heartily disagree on the snarky 'bad life choices' comment. Some of us LOVE the snow and winter sports. Of course, you have to be careful and know the limitations of your rig AND yourself.
Don't apply your standards to everyone elses' abilities.

I thought it was pretty funny! I'd say more tongue in cheek than snarky, lol.
I love the snow too, forgot to get offended at the comment though. When my buddy stops his Moho to put on chains to get up to the snopark, I try to be just far enough behind him on I 90 so I can try to douse him with slush as I drive by!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
bbeezzz wrote:
How many folks carry tire chains or cables for their motor home? Our Winnebago Sunstar is 18000 pounds and we are planning to travel mid October from Calgary to Spokane then further west to the coast and south to California.

Seems you (or your brother) posted the same question on the SKPs forums.
Received good answers - if not you, go there and search "chains".

Check with the DOT(s) for the states you will be traveling through - for the requirements as well as which type/s of chains are acceptable.

Req's may also include date you are req'd to "have" chains with you.

The state DOTs are lots more reliable than folks on an internet site..:W

~

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Heartily disagree on the snarky 'bad life choices' comment. Some of us LOVE the snow and winter sports. Of course, you have to be careful and know the limitations of your rig AND yourself.
Don't apply your standards to everyone elses' abilities.

blt2ski
I've found the diamond chains to be easiest to put on. Traction like a link, install like a cable. Don;t generally speaking have to lay out chains, drive on them, hook up. Can do all the above in one place. ALL versions one should drive a few hundred yards, check tension, then do so every so often to make sure they are tight. Otherwise as noted, if too loose, they fall off, tear up the rig etc.

From Nov 1 to April 1, ALL rigs over a total of 10K lbs, be it a single rig, or towing, are required to carry the appropriate quantity of chains for the rig in Washington state.

I would suggest a chain you know will work, as you can not always trust mother nature, or your days of travel! You may get caught in a freak snow storm, and your ability to wait it out is not legal, or no place to truly wait it out. I was at Timberline in the parking lot, a place I have stayed and been many times in the winter, 60 mph winds, blowing snow into every nook and cranny of window vents etc. Put chains on truck and trainer, down that 10% grade I went to Government camp, spent the rest of the weekend in a parking lot down there. If traveling in the winter, be safe over sorry. Putting on chains is not that big a deal.
This is from a person that used my RV trailer as a ski hut, not a summmer vacation traveling home! Hence the license plate I had too "SKIHT46" or truck plate, see handle!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Darryl&Rita wrote:
If you need to put chains on an RV, you've made some bad life choices. They're hard on tires, bodywork and the body of the guy putting them on. That said, the laws of the land do require them to travel, so get the cheapest, lightest ones you can find, to meet the minimum standards of the law.

That first sentence is classic!

Btw, agree, cables for show, chains for go.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
bbeezzz wrote:

We carry cables for our class c and for our 5th wheel. Lightweight, donโ€™t take up much room, and inexpensive. Donโ€™t really want to use them.....but I like to have an insurance policy! Cables work great on ice and shallow snow, donโ€™t beat you to death when using them. Chains generally are best for mud or deeper snow....not saying that they shouldnโ€™t or canโ€™t be used at any time. For highway use, I just prefer cables.

As we do a bit of fall/winter boondocking, we have light duty , v-bar chains for our 5er and heavy duty, large link, mud chains (off road chains) for the truck!

I keep a small piece of โ€œAstro-Turfโ€ to lay down on. It doesnโ€™t slide around like a vinyl tarp, yet keeps you clean and dry! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mikim
Explorer
Explorer
We go skiing in Mammoth & Tahoe every year. Had to put chains on the Motorhome's 5 times over the past 30 years. Used link chains as they were the cheapest and never had to use them for more than 10 miles. Kept speed down to below 35 mph.

YOU WILL GET WET!! I lay down on a blue tarp and wear ski pants. Not hard, but practice beforehand. It will be a rough ride.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
If you need to put chains on an RV, you've made some bad life choices. They're hard on tires, bodywork and the body of the guy putting them on. That said, the laws of the land do require them to travel, so get the cheapest, lightest ones you can find, to meet the minimum standards of the law.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never put link chains on a motorhome as they could possibly beat the fiberglass to pieces if a link came loose. I have used cable chains and they worked fine with good traction on Oregon pass. Oregon DOT had a check point and gave me the thumbs up. I ran the inside dual onto a 2 by 6, so putting on the cable chains was a piece of cake as there was more than enough clearance to slide the cables under the outside dual.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I carry link chains, it's required in oregon in the winter, and occasionally they do check. And I have them for the trailer. Oregon requires "drag chains" on at least one trailer axle when chains are required. Now, I've only had to use chains once when towing, it was NOT a pleasant experience. All the other times, I just wait out the weather.

I will never use cable chains, way to many of cable chain pieces laying beside the road after a storm.

My experience in oregon is that by the time they actually have a check stop for chains, you (well I) will NOT be going any further.

But the I-5 summit border into CA can be a different story. Last winter our son going down to San Diego was required to stop just into CA and install chains even though the road was clear of snow. CA state police pulled traffic off the highway at an off ramp and would let anyone without chains back on. He put on chains followed a few trucks and when they pulled over to take of chains he did so as well.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some cable chains to have with me. Hope I never have to use them. I did practice putting them on just in case.

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
if you don't plan on using them i would buy which ever Canadian Tire has on sale.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I carry chains for both the TV and TT. Iโ€™m ready if I decide not to wait the storm out.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I carry chains - during the winter it's illegal in Oregon to travel mountain passes without them. I buy them from outfit that will repurchase chains at full price if you don't end up using them.
Kevin