Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Tire cables or chains
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tire cables or chains

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
bbeezzz

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many folks carry tire chains or cables for their motor home? Our Winnebago Sunstar is 18000 pounds and we are planning to travel mid October from Calgary to Spokane then further west to the coast and south to California.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you on a schedule ? That is early enough in the season that if you do get hit by a snow storm, just wait it out for a day or 2. Installing chains is quite difficult.

bbeezzz

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not really on a schedule. Have read though that if caught without chains in some States or Provinces you could get a hefty fine. We would not venture on the road if the weather looked bad, and I doubt anyone is out looking for violations if the roads are clear. But we've been through areas where the weather suddenly changes.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cables or chains? Cables to meet the traction aid requirement if you plan to wait out the storm a few days to get the road cleared. If you plan to continue into the snow get the link chains.

Either way test fit them and have the tools to install before you go. You may actually get stuck in something that needs them.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry chains - during the winter it's illegal in Oregon to travel mountain passes without them. I buy them from outfit that will repurchase chains at full price if you don't end up using them.

Kevin

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry chains for both the TV and TT. I’m ready if I decide not to wait the storm out.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

donkeydew

OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you don't plan on using them i would buy which ever Canadian Tire has on sale.

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought some cable chains to have with me. Hope I never have to use them. I did practice putting them on just in case.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry link chains, it's required in oregon in the winter, and occasionally they do check. And I have them for the trailer. Oregon requires "drag chains" on at least one trailer axle when chains are required. Now, I've only had to use chains once when towing, it was NOT a pleasant experience. All the other times, I just wait out the weather.

I will never use cable chains, way to many of cable chain pieces laying beside the road after a storm.

My experience in oregon is that by the time they actually have a check stop for chains, you (well I) will NOT be going any further.

But the I-5 summit border into CA can be a different story. Last winter our son going down to San Diego was required to stop just into CA and install chains even though the road was clear of snow. CA state police pulled traffic off the highway at an off ramp and would let anyone without chains back on. He put on chains followed a few trucks and when they pulled over to take of chains he did so as well.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/19 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never put link chains on a motorhome as they could possibly beat the fiberglass to pieces if a link came loose. I have used cable chains and they worked fine with good traction on Oregon pass. Oregon DOT had a check point and gave me the thumbs up. I ran the inside dual onto a 2 by 6, so putting on the cable chains was a piece of cake as there was more than enough clearance to slide the cables under the outside dual.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Tire cables or chains
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.