Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: East Bound I40
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> East Bound I40

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
sokal

So. Calif.

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are moving from Ventura Ca to Nashville Tn. Oct 15 - Oct 21

I40 the whole way. We will be a 3 rig caravan MH with toad, Pick-up with enclosed trailer and a compact car.

My question is about grade % and length are there any passes of note. I have a young driver in the pick-up and would like to know ahead of time what is ahead. I have searched for web sites with this info but have not found any.

I welcome any helpful info about this trip. Planing on overnight in CG's each night.

Kingman AZ, Gallup NM, Amarillo TX, Sallisaw Ok, Yuma TN.

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have driven that route more than a few times. There are no real steep climbs or descents. You can check the Mountain Directory to get specific grade information for the entire route.

2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a little short 2 mile 6% coming into Kingman some 5% to 6% East of Kingman 40 miles and then 5% or so in the Williams/Flagstaff area, some windy down hill stuff West of Albuquerque other than that there isnt anything to write home about

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/19 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ashfork to Williams is 5-6% grade uphill.
May not be in the right spot for a stop but Williams is a very fun route 66 town. Several RV resorts there with our favorite Grand Canyon Railway RV. Could be a bit cold at night in late Oct. as the elevation is 7,000'.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While not recently, I have done that road a few times and don't remember anything bad at all. There will be construction Somewhere, and try to avoid the big cities during rush hour if possible.

And congratulations on moving to TN and giving yourself a raise (ie, lower taxes, more freedoms, etc).

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of the route, you're going to hit slopes on any of the major interstates heading east. If it happens, just slow down, downshift, uses your hazard flashers or strobe and take it easy. Believe me, you will not be the only group encountering the hills and you won't be the only slower vehicles on hills.

As for places to stay, just do your standard research and make sure you know if they are open if planning to wiz through and stop when needed. In parts of AZ, those higher elevation campgrounds may stop operating after October 1.

The only issue you will have is weather. Last week it snowed in northern AZ and as you drove I-40 through Flagstaff, you were greeted with snow cap mountains. The weird weather patterns are making themselves known right now so heavy rain could pummel you for a brief period.

Otherwise, enjoy the view.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

sokal

So. Calif.

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone. I guess I couldn’t find any mountain pass info because there is not much there. I have spent to much time crossing the northern Rockies and the Sierras I’m gun shy.

sokal

So. Calif.

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

And congratulations on moving to TN and giving yourself a raise (ie, lower taxes, more freedoms, etc).

I sure hope so I have lived in So California for almost 60 years, the amount of work involved in this move is crazy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> East Bound I40
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.