cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about a new Jeep tow vehicle...need your input...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
Our Honda CRV is now 15 years old and ready to go to pasture. Would love to trade it for a new 2020 CRV but, alas, Hondas can no longer be towed. In fact, most new cars can't be towed. Sooo, been thinking about a new Jeep (not sure at this time what model but not 4WD). Would like to hear back from all who have '18,'19 or '20 Jeeps and how well they like (or dislike) the cars. Thanks!
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
13 REPLIES 13

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I rented a 2019 Jeep Wrangler for a six day trip on the east coast New England area. We both absolutely loved it and agreed that if we hadnโ€™t bought a 4Runner there would be a Jeep in the garage now..:).
The Jeep we rented had the 2.0 turbo engine and I can tell you that little engine will very forcefully set you back in the seat when you get on it.

Irish2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk and the death wobble has been addressed for this model year and supposedly has been solved. To date no problems towing this Jeep. I also have my GMC 2500HD equipped for a toad when I want to take my ATV or anything else in the bed. Prior to purchasing our Jeep we had a Honda CRV which is an outstanding vehicle but the newer models can not be towed all 4 down. All this to say that I have found very little difference in towing different vehicles of different weights without much of a difference. It mostly comes down to proper dingy tow set up and the tow capacities of your coach. We recently towed the GMC 2500HD Duramax from British Columbia to Nova Scotia and the fuel consumption did not reveal any noticeable difference from towing lighter vehicles.
2013 Winnebago 42E
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another consideration is the ride. Our GC is a truck in disguise. It's higher (access) and the ride is not as good as our CRV.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:

The truck bed comes in real handy when traveling..

:C

This is why we went with the Jeep Gladiator for a TOAD. Fun vehicle too!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check everything. Our 14 GC Overland weighs 5,200 and compared to our CRV it's noticeable.

Also a variety of mfg and models have EPS which is prone to death wobble. Check carefully and DON'T expect dealers or mfg to know or reveal. My GC has hydraulic steering so no problem.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
What ever you do skip the Fiat Jeeps i.e. Cherokee, Compass and Renegade. Yes with the proper transfer case they can be towed 4 down, but they have so many electrical issues I wouldn't wish ownership on anyone but my worst enemy. Stick with the Wranglers and Grand Cherokees, the Grand Cherokees need to have the right 4WD system.

Not sure if it's an option for you but Explorers and Edges are flat towable with the right transmission. I have a 13 Explorer LTD and all that is needed is to put the trans in N. very easy.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
Know nothing about towing a Jeep but have had one as a daily driver for 20 years. Not sure you can even buy one that is not a 4x4?
Would not own anything else

There are plenty of Jeep models that are front wheel drive.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my 2004 Jeep Wrangler and bought a near new Toyota Tacoma 2WD with a automatic, you will need a driveline disconnect, you don't have to settle with a Jeep to flat tow..

Tacoma's weight is the same as a 2 door Wrangler but lighter than the 4 door Wranglers.

The truck bed comes in real handy when traveling..

:C

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Know nothing about towing a Jeep but have had one as a daily driver for 20 years. Not sure you can even buy one that is not a 4x4?
Would not own anything else

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a 2015 Wrangler 2DR Sahara (automatic) Hard Top a year ago and it has been great. It is 4WD but has never been driven that way, at least by me. Just to be clear it IS NOT full time 4WD. Very easy to setup for towing or (as in my case) get setup for towing. Since you will have to get a new base plate anyhow, Iโ€™d suggest the Ready Brute Elite setup for easy of connection, and brake. It pulls quite nicely behind my Newmar 31 ft gasser. There are no fuses to pull, just put transfer case in neutral and transmission in Park (for an automatic) and go.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
I believe if you want an automatic transmission, you are limited to Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and Wranglers - all must be 4x4 and have the correct transmission to tow four down..

which is, generally, a manually selectable neutral position on the transfer case controls. jeeps are incredibly easy to set up to tow and, unless something has changed, there are no time/distance/speed restrictions as with other vehicles (ex: stopping every X-hours, stopping every X-miles or not towing above a certain speed).
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
I believe if you want an automatic transmission, you are limited to Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and Wranglers - all must be 4x4 and have the correct transmission to tow four down..
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Canโ€™t really contribute much if you donโ€™t want 4WD. Why limit your exploring? Why be less able to move around in snow? Or mud?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad