Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Experience/Opinions on a 2008 F450 for Towing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Experience/Opinions on a 2008 F450 for Towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience with a 2008 6.4 was atrocious. Injectors, radiators, and rear main seals. Do yourself a favor and run as far as you can from 6.4 Powerstroke

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d steer clear and look for one with a V10.

Thanks!

Car Camper-Transport Vehicle is a 2011 Chevy Tahoe
Eureka Timberline 4
Favorite Brands:
Coleman, REI, Ozark Trail, and misc. Yard Sale finds

Family time is the best time!

~It’s kind of fun to do the impossible~
- Walt Disney-

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is hard to find many supporters of the 6.4L. The lawsuit paperwork spells out that the 6.4 was thought to inferior to the 6.0 if you can believe that is possible. IH built some great engines in their day, the 466 being one of them along with the 6.9 and 7.3, but they have had their share of mechanical disasters. The 6.4 is certainly at or near the top of that list. At the end of the day, you still have to depend on it and be able to afford to keep it running. Every dollar spent on keeping a 6.4 running is a dollar you will never see back. Expensive to own (both in mpg and repairs) and have horrible resale value. I dont know what the best options are for you, but a Cummins conversion certainly could be a possible solution. Buy a 450 with a 6.4 for salvage price and then make it how you want it. Personally having an 09 Ford F450 and whatever year Cummins and what ever one off parts list that makes the two work together would not interest me. It works for some people though.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

rowekmr

Chicago

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I looked all over and the consensus is that they are bad engines besides the die hard owners who stand by them.

I was shocked that even Bill at PowerstrokeHelp on YouTube recently made a video declaring he won't work on them anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiB6IbPs2Zk

10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/19 07:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rowekmr wrote:

Thanks everyone. I looked all over and the consensus is that they are bad engines besides the die hard owners who stand by them.

I was shocked that even Bill at PowerstrokeHelp on YouTube recently made a video declaring he won't work on them anymore.

Ok, the best comment I saw was:

"The 6.4 is like a hot girl with an STD!!!!" [emoticon]

I don't care how big of a fan boi you are, that's funny!

The old saying from an old tech friend of mine was:
The 6.0 is junk.
The 6.4 is expensive junk.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ib516

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rowekmr wrote:

CLICKY

All I can say is wow. What a POS.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fellow I work with bought a beautiful brand new 2008 F-350 CC 4x4 LB SRW Lariat 6.4L in 2008. Back then everyone was up to their eyeballs in frustration with the 6.0L engine and the 6.4L was the best thing since sliced bread. At the time I was impressed at how quiet and smooth the truck was.

The heaviest load that the truck ever towed was a 20' ski boat and even that was very rare. He complained of the horrible fuel mileage the truck got even driving solo and had it back to Ford several times for various tests, computer reflashes, etc. Nothing seemed to help this issue out much. He finally ended up deleting the truck and almost doubled his fuel economy.

At about 140k kms the injector pump took a dump and contaminated the fuel system. I can't remember exactly how much this cost him (it was out of warranty by then), but I do remember the shop telling him that although the injectors tested OK at the time, they recommended replacing them. He couldn't afford to do them and they ended up completing the repair and away he went.

At about 170k kms he was driving and had a sudden loss of power and a TON of smoke out of the exhaust. He pulled over and had the truck towed to the diesel shop that he had been using for some time and is well known for good work in this area. That's when he had the bad news that an injector had stuck open and that the engine was toast. He got the same news from the shop that Bill talks about in his video about lack of 6.4L engines and parts for them.

We talked about it and I told him that it would probably be best for him to sell the truck as is for whatever he could get and shop for something newer. We also did discuss the possibility of putting a Cummins in the truck. He loved the truck and ended up having the truck install a deleted Cummins 6.7L in it. The job took several months due to time sourcing a good engine and it was the first one that the shop had done. It turned out very well, but IMHO it cost way too much money. If it were me I would have sold the truck and bought a newer Ram/Cummins.

I took a bath on my 6.0L truck, but nothing like him. I truly felt sorry for him because it was a stressful, expensive experience for him.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/19 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rowekmr wrote:

Unfortunately I have a preference for Ford on trucks.

If that's the case and you can get this truck for a super cheap price then your best bet is to do a Cummins swap. Destroked is a place that sells complete kits to swap a Cummins into these trucks. I'm sure there are others but that is one that I know of. It's probably not cheap, but it will get you a longer lasting engine for the F450.

KJ

2012 Sandpiper 32QBBS--Sold ">
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'96 Polaris SLT780 PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (20, 14, & 12)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Experience/Opinions on a 2008 F450 for Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.