Explorer
Ford 6.7L checks in at 1,050 ft lbs TQ at 1,600 rpm, 475 HP at 2,800 rpm
166 REPLIES 166

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
You are going camping. Shirt sleeve weather. Being in the great outdoors.

Shoot. I have been doing it wrong. I use my camper in all kinds of weather. My activities demand it. Hunting seasons etc. do not change just because the weather is bad.

If the weather was always good, I would not need a camper, or even a tent.

It snowed 6" on us last weekend while we were deer hunting. Then it warmed up a bit and we had a mud/snow combo on all the roads until we pulled out on day 5, tags filled. At least it wasn't all that cold this year, lowest morning may have been around 20 degrees. Last year was dry but temps dipped down around 10 most mornings. You know, shirt sleeve weather.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:
You are going camping. Shirt sleeve weather. Being in the great outdoors.

Shoot. I have been doing it wrong. I use my camper in all kinds of weather. My activities demand it. Hunting seasons etc. do not change just because the weather is bad.

If the weather was always good, I would not need a camper, or even a tent.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Ohh yeah. The TV thing. We hardly ever watch the TV unless itโ€™s raining or Iโ€™m an insomniac.

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
You Know SlowMover

You certainly made some great points. I driven semiโ€™s all though itโ€™s been a while and I would agree that generally your statement that fifth wheels being unstable is true, but I offer this for consideration not to argue. My 2018 Ram 3500 SRW has never been made un stable at any speed towing my Creek. It is bone stock with 31000 miles, towing a 13 foot 4 inch trailer and has very good manners weighing 14500 lbs. I do wish the new trucks were not as tall.

But some differences are the rear suspension is tilted forward very cool design and versus the older trucks they have many safety enhancements for stability and sway control built into the truck. Check it out sometime. I have driven this rig for 5000 miles to Key West and back and all over the midwest. Iโ€™m actually surprised how stable it is to drive literally feeling like I can take my hands off the wheel in rough terrain. Totally surprising and it actually runs better w the cruise control on. Which is the first pick up Iโ€™ve ever driven with a trailer that cruise not only makes sense but is better than my foot at highway speeds. I run 65 mph.

I have never ever had a semi, oversized load etc pass me that caused any reaction. I mean nada nothing. Again I could take my hands off the wheel. Of course I donโ€™t but thatโ€™s they way it feels. Iโ€™ve driven in 30 mph winds w no issues for but I do get off or stay over in my trip if I know that kind of weather is coming.

Way better than my Sunseeker class c which was a handful even though I had upgrades done. I agree people leave camping because of the challenge of driving rvโ€™s of any type. A fifth wheel is more work than a class c to setup. Takes me about an hour by myself to hook her up. Mostly because I spend a lot of time double checking everything. A fifth wheel, a very large trailer, a class a or a class c are not for beginners without some kind of previous experience.

But we are in an arms race on capability for trucks and I donโ€™t whoโ€™s buying them for what purpose but weโ€™ve passed the point where for RVerโ€™s the specs really make a huge difference. I donโ€™t know any RV except maybe some very custom fifth wheels that would even get near 35000 lbs.

Peace!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
MikeRP wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^^^When I get my new Powerstroke you might have to pull over to let me by on the long steep hills.:B

Is your 17 "OLD" ???

Not really old just out dated and kinda slow.:)

You may be disappointed. I test drove a 19 RAM AISIN. It didnโ€™t feel any different than my measly 15.

If you limit the speed to 60mph, and if all three are capable of pulling 35000 lbs at 60 mph all the way up the Ike, then the only time difference will be acceleration from the start to 60 mph.

They claim the top part of the Ike is a 7% grade. The new Powerstroke might be capable of towing a 35000 lb rv up a 7% grade at 35-40 mph.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
Slowmover wrote:
2004 Dodge 555TQ quarter-mile = 16.8 seconds

2019 Ram 1000TQ quarter-mile = 16.4 seconds.

Is the Ford doing 12โ€™s, or is the story the same?

Since horsepower is the measure of work that is done, why the TQ stuff?

Whereโ€™s the meat? What justifies the expense? It costs 2-3X as much but itโ€™s still no quicker than before DESPITE paper number increases. Whereโ€™s the decrease in fuel burn as the offset?

How many cooling systems? Expected maintenance cost over its 350k life? Price per mile of operation? Itโ€™s all higher and more difficult.

Whereโ€™s the technological advantage (leverage) that reduces operational cost against higher purchase price? As thatโ€™s the criteria for replacing a tired vehicle. Otherwise, fix it up and soldier on.

I was hauling 22k trailers with that earlier version. 300k miles of get-it-there-yesterday oilfield.

Are you (anyone) going to tell me, โ€œwell, itโ€™s faster up the hillโ€(?). Youโ€™ll get silence in return as thatโ€™s not worth a reply. Thatโ€™s for the Utube stoopids.

You guys arenโ€™t getting any better solo mileage in some cases than I am when bobtail in a 21,000-lb Peterbilt at highway speeds. Twice as heavy with twice the motor. Over 12-feet tall. Man, is that a laugh, or what?

I have days where, with no adverse winds and 30k in the box (55k gross), Iโ€™m still in double-digits at 66-mph. Automated manual and never off cruise. Think about that when I pass you.

The price and โ€œperformance โ€œ of these trucks is a joke. Youโ€™ve been had.

Start over. At the end that matters: the trailer.

Itโ€™s telling that a common complaint Iโ€™ve seen the past sixteen years on this forum is that a trailer designed to travel 250k miles (6-7X farther than a stapled box) before re-build and to have reduced HP demand all the while, โ€œdoesnโ€™t have enough interior roomโ€. You are going camping. Shirt sleeve weather. Being in the great outdoors. . How big a bed do you need? Or chair? Why would anyone want more space to heat, clean and cool? Trailers of my type donโ€™t in the least lack for space or amenities.

Know how to tell a **** RV at a glance? The high ratio of floor footage against window area. And the lousy interior sightlines from any seated position.

Itโ€™s the lifetime of the trailer that matters (some recent post about having bought five โ€”FIVEโ€”RVs over thirty years!? Could have had just one. Paid for it long ago. Used it right to the end), as the expense of ownership drops with every year of use. Minimal maintenance.

I have all of $30k into the combined price of my rig. Knew what to buy and how to buy it (cash). Knew what Iโ€™d need to do or not to maintain factory quality in furnishings. So if I wind up having spent double that, (take me awhile to figure out HOW), I still only have $60k into both. And all my ownership costs are lower. On an RV with a lifespan as long or longer than my own.

If I decided I wanted to I could probably pass any of you while on the road. With more control at every extra mph. (Aero has huge advantages).

Whatโ€™s the least stable towed RV on the market? A fifth wheel with 4WD pulling it. The only one actually worse is a JACKED UP 4WD yanking a tail-heavy โ€œtoyhaulerโ€. Passing everyone without the first clue of how to do it. Good thing most of you donโ€™t have or use a CB. Hearing, โ€œBaby Daddy southbound and flying at the 377-MMโ€, means only one thing: none of those poor children has a father.

What? You donโ€™t believe me? Tell you what, you run along at 62mph or so and Iโ€™ll come in so close with my rig youโ€™ll ****. And Iโ€™ll have another directly behind me do the same. With a box truck as finale. At 75+. My RV will stay upright. Yours wonโ€™t. (As thatโ€™s pretty much jail time and career-ending, the only reason you havenโ€™t experienced it has been partly luck. As it does happen).

Detroit & Elkhart arenโ€™t your friends. They exist to take as much they can. The used market offers a lot more than anyone in this thread has bothered to explore.

The number of couples who GET OUT OF using an RV before age catches up (75) is very likely tied to the ever-higher expense of enjoying what should be a pleasure.

Travel farther. See more. Do it all for less. Bye-bye worries. (
What a concept! Economy!)

Is there a high correlation between the DISH/Netflix subscribers and to threads like this? The whole low IQ thing? Because what you expend on dancing at the end of the advertising string could have gone elsewhere. Go to the back pages of this site. Or a diesel pickup forum. See yourself in the same threads on, โ€œthe new Porky Pig for 1998!!โ€

Trash the TV. Once, and finally.

(Iโ€™m damned if I know how we traveled the whole of the US, much of Canada and Mexico without TV as I was growing up. Doesnโ€™t occur to me now itโ€™s worth it either, as last I looked itโ€™s even worse. Why was it the government was giving vouchers at the time of the analog to digital changeover? Get a clue. Please. Then โ€” just maybe โ€” youโ€™ll see that those windowless walls arenโ€™t bearable without your babysitter).

1,000-TQ. What a load of rubbish.

If โ€œperformanceโ€ matters to you โ€” you say โ€” then youโ€™d all know the top shops for antilock disc brake & independent suspension retrofit. You donโ€™t, thus, your words to the contrary, it doesnโ€™t.

(Another part of performance is fuel burn. I explained at length a few years back โ€” twice, I think, โ€” how to modify fuel use the rest of the year TO PAY EVERY CENT OF 5,000-MILE VACATION FUEL. Know how many PMs I got inquiring farther? Ha!).

If after this you think that I donโ€™t like you or other RVโ€™ers, thatโ€™s pitiful. Iโ€™ve had more than fifty years experience and used that time to think on it. Watch people come and go. And thereโ€™s no end of sadness in watching the thing fade away in them. It does.

Wise up.
1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
^^^^^When I get my new Powerstroke you might have to pull over to let me by on the long steep hills.:B

Is your 17 "OLD" ???

You may be disappointed. I test drove a 19 RAM AISIN. It didnโ€™t feel any different than my measly 15.

I have been talking to my dealer about this for a while and itโ€™s one of the things that made me NOT buy a new diesel pusher. We all know the Cummins 6.7 is fully electronic. As an example, a while back I was involved in a retrofit of a much larger Cummins as a replacement for a M60 tank engine on a Westinghouse 191 frame gas turbine. The Cummins was the only motor made then, that could match the torque of the old tank motor. (I havenโ€™t looked to see if thatโ€™s true now but it probably is).

So the Cummins has to be detuned and the Cummins engineer just brought in his interface and matched the old M60 torque curves. I think it still had a bit more HP.

So my point is that the CTD, unless you are towing near MAX weight, performs itโ€™s job consistently and one probably canโ€™t feel the difference between a 2015 Cummins and a new 2019 model except the new one might be quieter. The CTD just does its job, not trying to be the fastest, thus for the CTD I donโ€™t know if 10 gears makes a difference over a 6 speed the way Cummins manages their motors for long reliability.

One of the YouTube guys, who owns a towing business thinks the whole 2019 package versus a 2018 is more revolutionary as a total entity than the numbers show. Heโ€™s called PDDiesel Power if you want to check out his review. Heโ€™s not very scientific but I watched a video last year he did and he keeps popping up on my YouTube page once in a while.

So will 75 HP and 50 ft lbs of torque of the Ford over the Cummins make a difference in the testing TFL truck does hauling near max weight? It will be interesting to see. The 2018 models were essentially tied. If you limit the speed to 60mph, and if all three are capable of pulling 35000 lbs at 60 mph all the way up the Ike, then the only time difference will be acceleration from the start to 60 mph.

Which is what torqued me off, pun intending, about buying a class a. Iโ€™m sitting with a Ram 3500 I paid $56000 for versus a DP w the same motor hooked to an Allison w less HP and torque. So you got this game they play, well this 6.7 CTD has 300 hp and cost $175000, 320 Hp costs $185000, 340 HP cost $195,000 360 HP costs $205,000 and 380 hp you get to pay $225,000. And itโ€™s all marketing bs expect you do get the more heavy duty 3500 Allison on the last 2.

A Ram truck is boring, it just does itโ€™s job, and I find that boring exciting because when Iโ€™m out west w my 14,500 lb fifth wheel I just want to get up and down the mountain passes competently and safely and I donโ€™t care to win a race but I do care I get to the bottom without any white knuckles.

And Iโ€™d guess all three manufactures can do that easily w 14,500 lbs. lol

Peace.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
danrclem wrote:
I think those extra 4 gears would make a big difference even if it didn't have more power. I think my 6.2 would benifit with two extra gears in between 2nd and 4th. I'm not going to buy a new one but I did it would have to be a 10 speed.

Gasser probably, Diesel don't think so.

Look at the GM 2500 VS RAM 355 DRW Ike test.

If you look at the horsepower and torque charts, those extra gears would make little difference. I wish they would stay with the less complex 6 speeds.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Slowmover wrote:

Since horsepower is the measure of work that is done, why the TQ stuff?

Slowmover
Explorer
Explorer

1990 35' SILVER STREAK Sterling, 9k GVWR
2004 DODGE RAM 2WD 305/555 ISB, QC SRW LB NV-5600, 9k GVWR
Hensley Arrow; 11-cpm solo, 17-cpm towing fuel cost

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
danrclem wrote:
I think those extra 4 gears would make a big difference even if it didn't have more power. I think my 6.2 would benifit with two extra gears in between 2nd and 4th. I'm not going to buy a new one but I did it would have to be a 10 speed.

Gasser probably, Diesel don't think so.

Look at the GM 2500 VS RAM 355 DRW Ike test.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ You might notice a little more had you been able to pull with it. My 17 has the same power rating as my 16 with 65 additional lb feet of torque. I didn't notice much difference in how it pulls but I would say the difference shows up more in the engine braking. However, the 2020 ratings are quite a jump from my '17 ... 35 hp, 125 lbft of torque and 4 more gears. Even so I'll likely keep what I have for another year or so. Maybe you'll have to give Ford a chance to win your allegiance?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

Is your 17 "OLD" ???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD