cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside Plugs

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone beside me aggravated by the exterior plugs are horizontal ? It puts a strain on the cord of anything plugged into them. Why can't they be vertical like all the other receptacles?
27 REPLIES 27

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Nothing Iโ€™d worry about personally.

How bout it? Maybe put it on the worry list after checking the torque of the caps on your valve stems lol.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Did anyone ever figure out why the OP thought the strain on the plug would be more if the outlet were horizontal rather than vertical? OP?

ZERO difference on cord.

On most cords, yes. Some have a molded 90 degree end that sends the cord down, also some wall warts have the cord exit the bottom. Nothing Iโ€™d worry about personally.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
NOTE I'm not concerned about breaking the outlet cover
But Raindrops keep falling on my Roof. That cover keeps them out of the electrical box Even when it is open. so long as it opens UP. Sideways it won't do that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My house plugs controlled by a wall switch are mounted with the ground up (easy to identify) vs all other plugs. And only one of the 2 female outlets is controlled by the switch. So a single plug has both directions.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
My son is an Electrical PEng. We had this discussion recently. I asked him why do the outlets in the hospital have the universal ground up? He said and confirmed there is nothing in the Canadian NEC that states they are to be up.

I did have an Electrician explain that when using a metal face plate, and the plate falls off the outlet, it prevents the plate from possibly shorting out across the plug. Sounds reasonable.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Did anyone ever figure out why the OP thought the strain on the plug would be more if the outlet were horizontal rather than vertical? OP?

ZERO difference on cord.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
turbojimmy wrote:
Bob Vaughn wrote:
Wrong answer....An internet search reveals that the ground pin should be up....

That's really a commercial code requirement and has nothing to do with strain on the cord. It's so nothing can fall across the hot and neutral blades of the plug. Been there, done that with a steel tape measure.

For whatever reason residential receptacles don't have that requirement and are installed with the ground pins down.

With regard to the original post, and as others have said, my guess is that the horizontal arrangement has to do with manufacturing convenience than anything else. Mine has a standard 15 amp receptacle, mounted sideways, with standard spring-loaded flip-up type covers. It wouldn't matter which way it was installed from a weather protection perspective. I don't see how it would add extra strain to the plug or cord.

Building MANY Medical facilities in my career the receptacles had the ground up. But I also did MANY other types of buildings and none had the ground up. Notice if you place the ground up the writing will be upside down on the receptacle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And considering a new outlet AND weatherproof cover costs about as much as 1 all u can eat buffet at the Sizzler and a new plug end as much as 2 Starbucks lattes......IF you actually wear it out, who gives a ______ what direction the outlet is?

Plus if you take my suggestion and move the lawn chairs elsewhere, you're less likely to trip over the cord and break the outlet or cover, regardless of its orientation! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
Count me confused also. What difference in strain of something plugged in with the prongs facing vertical or horizontal.

Many cords come with what is called a RIGHT ANGLE plug With this type of plug the cord is supposed to lie against the wall as it comes down. it also places a lot less stress on the plug and outlet than a cord that comes straight out of the "Back" of the plug.

Now to the Original poster

Get some short "Wal-Wart" cords. these are 6-12 inches and designed so you can plug in half a dozen wal-warts to a power strip. The cord generally comes straight out

Why put the outlet horz instad of Vert

So the cover works to shield it even if open of course
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn wrote:

That's really a commercial code requirement and has nothing to do with strain on the cord. It's so nothing can fall across the hot and neutral blades of the plug. Been there, done that with a steel tape measure.

For whatever reason residential receptacles don't have that requirement and are installed with the ground pins down.

With regard to the original post, and as others have said, my guess is that the horizontal arrangement has to do with manufacturing convenience than anything else. Mine has a standard 15 amp receptacle, mounted sideways, with standard spring-loaded flip-up type covers. It wouldn't matter which way it was installed from a weather protection perspective. I don't see how it would add extra strain to the plug or cord.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Horizontal mounting means the cover acts like an umbrella when something is plugged in.

Bingo! The RV exterior duplex receptacle covers are also split and slightly recessed so that they are somewhat protected from rain while you are driving, which IMO, is just as important, if not more so, than when you are stopped. Dirt/water forced inside the receptacle at 65 mph = not good.

If the horizontal receptacle really ruins your day, you can buy a single plug exterior receptacle with a weather proof cover if you want. IMO, if the manufacturers supplied it, people would probably complain that there aren't two exterior plugs provided.

Chum lee

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
I think the OP is referring to the 120 volt outlets on the outside of the RV that are installed with a horizontal orientation.

Click For Full-Size Image.
I don't have an answer WHY, but I was beginning to think that I was the only one that understood what the OP was talking about.:S

That is what I thought also. But also why I am confused by the question as it makes no difference on how a cord hangs.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Horizontal mounting means the cover acts like an umbrella when something is plugged in.
Yes and so does vertical mounting with a cover since those covers are also hinged at the top.

I don't have any strain orientation concerns for a 20A plug. 30/50A yes if the ground is not on the top.

Ours is like this one where they are individually hinged along the long side as are all of the ones that show up in Google image search. Having a hinge on the short side would be flimsier.

At home I installed bubble covers where you can move the hinge as needed but those wouldn't be road worthy.