Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Outside Plugs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Outside Plugs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

I think the OP is referring to the 120 volt outlets on the outside of the RV that are installed with a horizontal orientation.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.
I don't have an answer WHY, but I was beginning to think that I was the only one that understood what the OP was talking about.[emoticon]

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Horizontal mounting means the cover acts like an umbrella when something is plugged in.
Yes and so does vertical mounting with a cover since those covers are also hinged at the top.

I don't have any strain orientation concerns for a 20A plug. 30/50A yes if the ground is not on the top.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Vaughn wrote:

Is anyone beside me aggravated by the exterior plugs are horizontal ? It puts a strain on the cord of anything plugged into them. Why can't they be vertical like all the other receptacles?

The best solution is to move your lawn chair to where the "plug" is not in your field of view, then find something else to get aggravated about.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

I think the OP is referring to the 120 volt outlets on the outside of the RV that are installed with a horizontal orientation.
[image]
I don't have an answer WHY, but I was beginning to think that I was the only one that understood what the OP was talking about.[emoticon]

That is what I thought also. But also why I am confused by the question as it makes no difference on how a cord hangs.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

wnjj wrote:

Horizontal mounting means the cover acts like an umbrella when something is plugged in.
Yes and so does vertical mounting with a cover since those covers are also hinged at the top.

I don't have any strain orientation concerns for a 20A plug. 30/50A yes if the ground is not on the top.

Ours is like this one where they are individually hinged along the long side as are all of the ones that show up in Google image search. Having a hinge on the short side would be flimsier.

At home I installed bubble covers where you can move the hinge as needed but those wouldn't be road worthy.

Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

bukhrn wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

[image]

That is what I thought also. But also why I am confused by the question as it makes no difference on how a cord hangs.

Wrong answer....An internet search reveals that the ground pin should be up....

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Bingo! The RV exterior duplex receptacle covers are also split and slightly recessed so that they are somewhat protected from rain while you are driving, which IMO, is just as important, if not more so, than when you are stopped. Dirt/water forced inside the receptacle at 65 mph = not good.

If the horizontal receptacle really ruins your day, you can buy a single plug exterior receptacle with a weather proof cover if you want. IMO, if the manufacturers supplied it, people would probably complain that there aren't two exterior plugs provided.

Chum lee

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob Vaughn wrote:

Wrong answer....An internet search reveals that the ground pin should be up....

That's really a commercial code requirement and has nothing to do with strain on the cord. It's so nothing can fall across the hot and neutral blades of the plug. Been there, done that with a steel tape measure.

For whatever reason residential receptacles don't have that requirement and are installed with the ground pins down.

With regard to the original post, and as others have said, my guess is that the horizontal arrangement has to do with manufacturing convenience than anything else. Mine has a standard 15 amp receptacle, mounted sideways, with standard spring-loaded flip-up type covers. It wouldn't matter which way it was installed from a weather protection perspective. I don't see how it would add extra strain to the plug or cord.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

Count me confused also. What difference in strain of something plugged in with the prongs facing vertical or horizontal.

Many cords come with what is called a RIGHT ANGLE plug With this type of plug the cord is supposed to lie against the wall as it comes down. it also places a lot less stress on the plug and outlet than a cord that comes straight out of the "Back" of the plug.

Now to the Original poster

Get some short "Wal-Wart" cords. these are 6-12 inches and designed so you can plug in half a dozen wal-warts to a power strip. The cord generally comes straight out

Why put the outlet horz instad of Vert

So the cover works to shield it even if open of course

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And considering a new outlet AND weatherproof cover costs about as much as 1 all u can eat buffet at the Sizzler and a new plug end as much as 2 Starbucks lattes......IF you actually wear it out, who gives a ______ what direction the outlet is?

Plus if you take my suggestion and move the lawn chairs elsewhere, you're less likely to trip over the cord and break the outlet or cover, regardless of its orientation! Lol

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Outside Plugs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS