Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Outside Plugs
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Outside Plugs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turbojimmy wrote:

Bob Vaughn wrote:

Wrong answer....An internet search reveals that the ground pin should be up....

That's really a commercial code requirement and has nothing to do with strain on the cord. It's so nothing can fall across the hot and neutral blades of the plug. Been there, done that with a steel tape measure.

For whatever reason residential receptacles don't have that requirement and are installed with the ground pins down.

With regard to the original post, and as others have said, my guess is that the horizontal arrangement has to do with manufacturing convenience than anything else. Mine has a standard 15 amp receptacle, mounted sideways, with standard spring-loaded flip-up type covers. It wouldn't matter which way it was installed from a weather protection perspective. I don't see how it would add extra strain to the plug or cord.

Building MANY Medical facilities in my career the receptacles had the ground up. But I also did MANY other types of buildings and none had the ground up. Notice if you place the ground up the writing will be upside down on the receptacle.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did anyone ever figure out why the OP thought the strain on the plug would be more if the outlet were horizontal rather than vertical? OP?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Did anyone ever figure out why the OP thought the strain on the plug would be more if the outlet were horizontal rather than vertical? OP?

ZERO difference on cord.

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son is an Electrical PEng. We had this discussion recently. I asked him why do the outlets in the hospital have the universal ground up? He said and confirmed there is nothing in the Canadian NEC that states they are to be up.

I did have an Electrician explain that when using a metal face plate, and the plate falls off the outlet, it prevents the plate from possibly shorting out across the plug. Sounds reasonable.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My house plugs controlled by a wall switch are mounted with the ground up (easy to identify) vs all other plugs. And only one of the 2 female outlets is controlled by the switch. So a single plug has both directions.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOTE I'm not concerned about breaking the outlet cover
But Raindrops keep falling on my Roof. That cover keeps them out of the electrical box Even when it is open. so long as it opens UP. Sideways it won't do that.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

ZERO difference on cord.

On most cords, yes. Some have a molded 90 degree end that sends the cord down, also some wall warts have the cord exit the bottom. Nothing I’d worry about personally.

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Nothing I’d worry about personally.

How bout it? Maybe put it on the worry list after checking the torque of the caps on your valve stems lol.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Outside Plugs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.