Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 5th wheel cover selection help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 5th wheel cover selection help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to cover my 5th wheel for the winter months. We live in the Southwest part of Pennsylvania and have snow wind and ice throughout the winter with occasional thaws.

I have narrowed the selection down to two different covers.

A Goldline cover

Goldline Cover

Classic Accessories SkyShield Deluxe 5th Wheel Cover

Classic Accessories Cover

I am looking for feedback from actual users of these covers. Would you purchase again? Why or why not? Any tips on using these particular covers is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Colo Native

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't waste my money on a cover, the storage lot my TT is at people use them and by the end of winter most of them are torn up and lying on the ground, save your money and just do a good wax job.

2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to always think about a cover as well until I talked to a few campers that have used them.

My neighbor across the street started using one and after 2 winters, it is all ripped, and he has rub marks on the corners of the RV....

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got one with the trailer, only used it a few times. More trouble than it was worth to install and remove, it also trapped moisture which led to mold. The Maxxair vent covers and a wax job were all it needed.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan on using the camper any time in the winter months and it has a cover, you'll regret ever putting it on. They are awful to deal with once they are covered with snow and ice. Then they are frozen when you get them off, and then you have to put them somewhere. If you just toss it into a pile and leave it outside, you won't get it back on in a frozen state. If you bring it into your garage, they'll take up so much room, you car will definitely be parked outside.

However, if you absolutely do not plan on using the camper over the winter cold ice and snow months, no problem covering. But, they are work to put on and take off.

And ... you run the risk of them rubbing the surface of your camper and forever ruining the paint. We covered 2 different travel trailers for a while and then when we got the 3rd (longer yet), I said NO MORE! Too much work.

In the fall, check your roof seams and caulking very well. In the Spring when ice and snow ends, check them again, fix as needed, and enjoy camping. No problem. It's much easier. Of course, cover or not cover, caulking is going to crack anyway and you'll still want to check it in the Spring.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Covers have their pro's and con's. After repairing the damage on the bottom of the trailer that rubbing created, we said we would never get another, but are considering it for summer months when we aren't able to use our FW. Just to save the decals from fading and cracking (yes we waxed and repeatedly), would have been worth it. I know you are asking about winter storage. I actually called and talked to Classic and they recommended the cover you listed. The cost they list is not that much compared to preventing damage, but in our case, it's not the winter months we worry about as much as the damage the sun does.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surprised at all the cover haters coming out of the closet here! You better not be the same folks reccomending them in the "How do I keep my RV from oxidizing and stickers form getting crispy" threads.
Now I only used a cover 1 winter for about 6-7 months. It was windy and snowy (Alaska). Saw zero wear n tear on the camper from the cover. Here at home I'm fortunate enough to have a shop big enough to stuff the camper in.
What I did find was it was a b____ to pull the snow off the roof and the icecicles from freeze thaw tugged at the sides (then I ripped the cover trying to pull off a ginormous icicle). After a thaw, I tossed a blue tarp over the soft cover. Not much larger than just the roof area. Made getting snow off waaay easier and kept the icicle build up down with less snow stuck up there and drips off the tarp vs running down the fabric cover.

The naysayers are probably some of the folks that complain about why campers are schitty quality and don't last.....

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That said, I have a snomachine trailer 06 model that has never spent a day of its life under cover or roof and is fairing fine save for the top corners oxidized and the layer of black [email protected] that needs washed off again.
Difference?
IF it leaks, it's not ruining the inside of finished living space and worst case it drops a little on a machine designed to be operated on frozen water.
It's 35' long tip to tail and cost me about 15% of what an average newer nice TT costs.
It was bought to basically be a portable shed.
If it was a camper, it would have a cover.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had mine shrink wrapped for about $300. I was careful when removing and think I could use it again.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Surprised at all the cover haters coming out of the closet here! You better not be the same folks reccomending them in the "How do I keep my RV from oxidizing and stickers form getting crispy" threads.
Now I only used a cover 1 winter for about 6-7 months. It was windy and snowy (Alaska). Saw zero wear n tear on the camper from the cover. Here at home I'm fortunate enough to have a shop big enough to stuff the camper in.
What I did find was it was a b____ to pull the snow off the roof and the icecicles from freeze thaw tugged at the sides (then I ripped the cover trying to pull off a ginormous icicle). After a thaw, I tossed a blue tarp over the soft cover. Not much larger than just the roof area. Made getting snow off waaay easier and kept the icicle build up down with less snow stuck up there and drips off the tarp vs running down the fabric cover.

The naysayers are probably some of the folks that complain about why campers are schitty quality and don't last.....

OP Here,

I was looking for feedback from actual cover users of either the Goldline or Classic Accessories covers. I know about the damage if the cover rubs the wrong way. If a cover is not put on properly it will rub and rip. I plan on using foam shaped to fit at all of the critical rub points and adding additional straps to secure it. I will not be taking it off until spring. I also have the advantage that the nice little lady that owns the storage facility inspects the property every single day. If something is amiss such as a loose cover I will be called and I live close by.

My previous 5th wheel was so sun damaged and developed leaks where the roof met the front cap. This caused a failure of the side wall fiberglass which had to be replaced. I do not want that problem again with the new 5th wheel.

The one thing that you said about the ice makes me think that the roof straps that come with the Goldline cover would be a benefit. These straps help support the weight of the sidewalls.

If there are any Goldline or Classic Accessories cover users out there I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Dave

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 5th wheel cover selection help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.