cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blower Fan on Dutch Star

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2000 Dutch Star, there is a blower fan switch in the water bay. When the furnace is on, I click this switch.... but it doesn't do anything. Nor can I see or locate any fan.

Where is it located, is it accessible, and why can't I turn it on?
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
NEVER assume a fuse looks good. Test it. The storage fan motor is a cheap motor and usually did not last long. Doug

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The foil duct is connected to a Black ABS type tube. Inside that tube is the 12 volt fan. It is usually mounted on the sidewall of the drivers side storage almost to the roof of the storage. There IS a fuse for that separate fan. The fuse is located on top/side of the Furnace case. Accessed by removing the inside louvered Wood access door in front of the furnace in the hallway. There will be 2 ATC fuse holders. One is for that fan. Can't remember what the other is for, but I believe it is a separate fuse going to the furnace Tstat output going to the AC control board. Some older models you have to remove the OUTSIDE furnace door to get easier access to those 2 fuse holders. Newmar changed the access to the inside to make it easier after complaints. Doug

Hi Doug. Thanks for this thorough reply. It helped me locate the fan. On my 2000 Dutch Star, it's located on the sidewall of the storage bay beside the water access bay. It's located behind a plastic shield where the foil duct runs. It's essentially an "inline" fan inside, or connected to, the foil duct.

Now, I started the furnace and listened and felt for anything going on in that 12v fan. Nada. It's completely silent. The two fuses beneath the fridge also look good.

So, bad fan motor?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The foil duct is connected to a Black ABS type tube. Inside that tube is the 12 volt fan. It is usually mounted on the sidewall of the drivers side storage almost to the roof of the storage. There IS a fuse for that separate fan. The fuse is located on top/side of the Furnace case. Accessed by removing the inside louvered Wood access door in front of the furnace in the hallway. There will be 2 ATC fuse holders. One is for that fan. Can't remember what the other is for, but I believe it is a separate fuse going to the furnace Tstat output going to the AC control board. Some older models you have to remove the OUTSIDE furnace door to get easier access to those 2 fuse holders. Newmar changed the access to the inside to make it easier after complaints. Doug

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Bobalooie wrote:

Okay, well when I turn the switch on, I do not feel nor hear any discernible change in air flow through the 4" foil tube. I checked the fuses under the fridge and they are good.

Do you hear the fan working or do you feel extra air?

The furnace has to be running for the basement heat fan to work. Apparently it gets its power from the furnace fan switch as there is no 12V on the switch in the wet bay unless the furnace fan is running. If the furnace fan was running and you felt no discernable difference in airflow, check for 12V on the wet bay switch. I have never located a seperate fuse for that fan, think it might be protected by the fuse for the furnace itself.
I feel extra air. I do not hear the fan running as the furnace fan is pretty loud.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
That is the switch to turn on to get heat into the โ€œbasementโ€ in the winter. Donโ€™t know about a fan or if it just opens a vent. The heat is from the furnace. They (some,)called it a winter switch and Newmar discontinued that method of getting heat in basement that way about that year or shortly after.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do hear it on ours. Not loud, It is a round , maybe 12 inches long mounted up again the slide out floor connected to the flex duct. You have to climb into the bay to get to it. Might need to be clean out and lube or time for a replacement.

Remember it does not run unless the heater is running.

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
When I run the furnace, I always get some warm air in the basement. When I turn the fan switch on, I et more air in the basement. Have not found the actual fan, but it does work.Guy on Newmar help line told me that's how it works, but could not tell e where the fan is located.

Okay, well when I turn the switch on, I do not feel nor hear any discernible change in air flow through the 4" foil tube. I checked the fuses under the fridge and they are good.

Do you hear the fan working or do you feel extra air?

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
When I run the furnace, I always get some warm air in the basement. When I turn the fan switch on, I et more air in the basement. Have not found the actual fan, but it does work.Guy on Newmar help line told me that's how it works, but could not tell e where the fan is located.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If like my 99 it is located on the slide out driver side in the middle bay. Pull air out of the RV when the heat is on to warm the bays.