cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater leaking from side or bottom?

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
I am getting water leaking around my 6 gal water heater. It’s not coming from the hot or cold water lines and not from the outside drain area. But there’s water on the floor by the side of the heater facing the rear of the trailer.

The water line running back goes below the floor. There doesn’t seem to be any other place it could come from. Is it possible to have a side leak in a WH? It’s not gushing but a steady drip.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g
15 REPLIES 15

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
ronnie has the solution.

You gotta get the old unit out of there and get a fan in there pronto.

ronnie56
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't fix it right now and have to go. Bypass the water heater by disconnecting the lines and hook them together or plug them and leave the drain plug out .As others have said, do not allow the area to stay wet.I would pull the whole unit out and dry the area thoroughly.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the number.
What I was checking to see if your model had other openings.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
G6A-8E

I've ordered a new tank.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

Esacnj
Explorer
Explorer
mine was replaced under warranty. leaked from the robotic weld that goes around the heater that joined the 2 halves. found when pressurized it.
Esacnj

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Haven't seen any answer from the OP as to what model of Atwood!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
if it is a Suburban, be sure and check the plastic valve between the hot and cold water line at the rear of the unit. On my older Montana you can't actually see it because of the cabinet, so you may have to feel for it. I just spent 337.00 replacing my heater for no reason. may be worth a check.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Not getting it fixed before your trip is just foolish. If nothing else, more water causing damage. Worse? The leak becomes a gusher out somewhere. Then, you will wish you had had it done.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Waiting for OP to tell us exactly model of water heater.
He may have more or less openings.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
There are 5 or 6 threaded fittings on a trailer water heater to check for leaks. If those are not leaking then the tank is leaking somewhere.

1 cold water connection.

2 hot water connection.

3 drain plug.

4 relief valve connection.

5 where the gas control temperature probe screws in.

6 electric heating element connection.

I had water leak through the gas control block on a Suburban water heater and could see it dripping. If it were leaking behind the block running down the water heater I would have never noticed it until I found water inside the trailer.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you don't get it fixed, you can have some structural damage and the possibility of complete failure.
What is the exact model of the Atwood water heater?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks. It’s an Atwood in my NTM ‘03 Thor hybrid.

I don’t think I can replace it before I hit the road next week. Hopefully I won’t have a bigger problem the next 2 weeks.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does not matter if side or bottom.. Replace tank.. About 200 plus an hour or two labor (Source Amazon) Did it a couple years ago. Had about a hundred pin hole leaks.

After I removed the tank I capped one of the lines (outlet) and put pressure to the inlet using a hose adapter (Replaced the TPR valve) and WOW. A sprinkler I had.. So I put in a new tank. Works

Suggestion: Now some will not care for this.. With the new tank came a new 1500 watt 120 volt element.. I pulled it and put in a 1500 watt 240 volt element. at 120 volts that's about 375 Watts. close to the rating of the HOtt Rodd.

What does this mean.. Slower recovery (Re-heating of water) by a factor of 4 but also way way way less likely to have to go out in the rain and reset the 30 amp park breaker when on a 30 amp site (Very nice).

And that last is why I did it. IDEA courtesy of RV101byfred.com if you want more info.

And for your humor enjoyment.....

Chased down the RV park's most popular girl the other day.. (She's the RV Girl.. RV on-site service tech) Had to tell her I had yet another thousand dollar pain in the my wallet (hers is feeling right good).

SHe was working on another camper's water heater. Worked great on propane but not on electric.. She found the problem quickly enough.

Works best when it's turned on.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Is this your 2000 Jayco, if so as 'enblethen' said. could be a seam or corrosion or split. You may have to take the unit out or carefully remove the insulation to see where the leak is. If 19 or 20 years old, you maybe looking at a replacement.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.