Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Starting batteries instead of deep cycle
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Starting batteries instead of deep cycle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 02:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

It kinda seems like maybe a set of regular starting batteries might actually be better.

If you draw your fully charged battery(s)down to 50% state of charge before recharging back to 100%; deep cycle batteries will survive a thousand or so of such cycles. Starter batteries maybe 40 or 50 cycles.

mi.drew

Greenbush, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find that the easiest thing on my batteries is to use a French press coffee maker.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a good 20-25AMP Drain on my batteries from 6PM to 11PM each evening and this will drain my three deep cycle batteries down to appx 50% charge state by 6AM each morning... I will then want to use my 2KW Generator each morning when allowed to re-charge my batteries back up to their 90% charge state so I can do all of this over again the next day/night run off the batteries. This works out great for my usual 7 to 10 days camping off-grid events...

Making coffee in this situation I found using my Cuisinart 10-cup Grind and Brew Bean coffee each morning when I am running my 2KW generator works best for me...

The Cuisinart brews up my coffee in about 5-6 minutes and pours up into a thermos carafe and then completely powers OFF... This keeps the coffee hot for many hours...

[image]
google image

Roy Ken
[image]

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most bang for the buck is always 2 6 volt golf cart batteries from Costco/Sams Club. Unless they are allowed to run dry, are alway good for 7+ years. Lots of people who take care of them get +10 years.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you are looking for the Deep Cycle with the most CCA. In boating, they call that a hybrid battery. Has more instant power, but also can tolerate some discharging.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

But they won't support a 200 amp load for long, if at all.

garyemunson wrote:

Most bang for the buck is always 2 6 volt golf cart batteries from Costco/Sams Club. Unless they are allowed to run dry, are alway good for 7+ years. Lots of people who take care of them get +10 years.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

lithium solves the issue [emoticon]

Agreed. However, OP was asking about inverter use with starter batteries.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Grit dog,

Most batteries are tested at 25 amps of demand (per cell). I do agree that lower is almost always better.

Grit dog wrote:

Youre off by a factor of 10 chief. More like 20A. Or 16.7A to be precise.

How did you quote something I edited after I edited it? Lol. Fwiw I was thinking AC/AC not DC/AC.

Agree lower draw/cell = better and more volts = lower draw (and resistance I think).
But comes a point of practicality of stuffing all that in limited space and the challenges with stepping down voltage.
Interesting topic fo sho. Keep it up!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

I think this is a very true statement.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog,

I don't know--I just used the quote reply feature--perhaps it "grabbed" your original posting?

Look into Puekert to see what happens to capacity as demand increases.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Starting batteries instead of deep cycle
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.