Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone here upgraded their headlights?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Anyone here upgraded their headlights?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 01:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2006 E450 headlights are "ok" I guess for regular night driving, but my eyes aren't what they once were. Are there LED conversions for these headlights? I have never changed one, so I don't even know if it's a sealed beam or a bulb kind of set up. Just looking for ideas for upgraded lighting for driving at night when it's necessary

Proud father of a US Marine

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not done it yet, I am considering converting my Chevy Suburban to LED.

I did run across this article on converting RV Headlights to LED.

It may give you some helpful information.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I added some "light bars" for about $70 cdn. My low beams now give me better lighting than my high beams. The bars have their own separate switch but can only be on when using the low beam setting.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Noise, radio interference, flickering, poor light distribution, and blinding other drivers can all be associated with sticking LED bulbs into a housing designed for halogen lights. Don’t cheap out and you can alleviate some of these issues. Add on light bars are designed for off road use and are, most likely, not legal to use on the road (although that doesn’t stop a lot of people).

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a pair of driving lights. Angleing them toshoulder for left and nearly straight for right light.
I wired them through a switch and a relay to have them on most of the time, day and night. They serve two functions, daylight running lights and driving lights.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did, but I am lost trying to recall just exactly what. I bought Sylvania plug n light...no big deal..except I had to go to a dealer to get the removal figured out.

The other thing to be mindful of is the front plastic on the your headlights is probably fogged. You can some ideas on You-tube on how to clean and that alone will improve your lighting.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tried this a couple times. I have found no joy. I cleaned my headlight lenses and got the cloudiness off, but I still have yellow, dim lights that I can’t see well with.

I bought the most expensive Bulbs in Walmart. That doesn’t say much. They are great on highbeam, but went on low beam, they are yellow and dim still.

Can anyone recommend a product that will be bright at the same time it is pointing low toward the ground? Looking for that cooler temperature light. It makes sense for headlights. It keeps you awake. Everything is just more clear with it.

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever you decide to do, after you make the change , have another person drive another vehicle in the opposite direction as you to make sure you are not blinding other drivers or airline pilots.
I'm sure in the populated area where you live there are auto shops that can steer you in the right direction as to which light and lens to choose. Something like pianotuna installed might be your best bet as long as you purchase the correct light. I found it's not the best idea to cheap out on lighting, buy a quality light and wiring.

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

Noise, radio interference, flickering, poor light distribution, and blinding other drivers can all be associated with sticking LED bulbs into a housing designed for halogen lights. Don’t cheap out and you can alleviate some of these issues. Add on light bars are designed for off road use and are, most likely, not legal to use on the road (although that doesn’t stop a lot of people).

....and legality. Most aftermarket LED setups are not DOT approved.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nope but I added a light bar behind the Silverado’s grill.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Anyone here upgraded their headlights?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS