Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone here upgraded their headlights?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Anyone here upgraded their headlights?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/19 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary,

Toothpaste will clean the lenses. It is temporary, but so are the commercial cleaners.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect your headlights are sealed beam glass...at least my 2008 Super Duty still have factory sealed beams. Your option would be to swap out the headlight assembly for an aftermarket LED, replace your sealed beams with a better sealed beam (ie Sylvania ExtraVision) or add supplemental lighting.

You have to be careful with aftermarket LEDs as the cheaper ones do cause radio interference or have poor light distribution. I have quality aftermarket LED bulbs in my F-250 and have them adjusted down. The cut off is great and I don't get flashed and the truck passes state inspection. I've asked several police in the department I work for (I'm the city mechanic) and the consensus I got was they don't write headlight tickets unless you have one out or you are using supplemental lighting (light bars, driving lights) as your primary lights instead of your headlights.

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some very good responses. People don’t realize that when they replace their halogen bulb with an LED, the light housing isn’t designed to work well with LED’s resulting in blinding the oncoming traffic. Most don’t aim their lights, either.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L is out of state, out of touch, and out of her mind

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amxpress wrote:

Some very good responses. People don’t realize that when they replace their halogen bulb with an LED, the light housing isn’t designed to work well with LED’s resulting in blinding the oncoming traffic. Most don’t aim their lights, either.

I replaced my headlights with LED's . All that was required was to find a wall and re adjust the lights. On the Ford chassis there are NO adjustments for side to side only up and down. Since I replaced my headlights to LED's I have not had anyone "flash" at me.
The upgrades are easy to install and work well. They fit exactly as they are supposed to in the housing.You tube video shows the purchased exactly how to install them.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn on the headlights at night and open the hood. Are the back of the headlamps glowing? If so your reflectors have degraded and some of the generated light is shining in the wrong direction >> out the back instead of the front where it is then degraded by the yellow lens. If cleaning/polishing the yellow lens doesn't help, the only fix is replacing the headlamps. They are available online most of the usual FLAPS, Ebay, Amazon, etc.

FLAPS = Friendly Local Autoparts Stores

Chum lee

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your eyes are not what they once were. Go to an eye surgeon and see if you need cataract removal.

I waited way too long to have that done. It makes things back to normal driving. Plus you can see things in front of you with a strong light behind it.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

macjom

Fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amxpress wrote:

I agree. Unless you can put a projector for a headlight retrofit.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding the Ford E350 and E450 chassis made 2007 and older, just about every motor home will NOT have a sealed beam. Only the generically styled work van has them. According to my 2007 owners manual, the nicer styled non-work van version (see my signature picture) is called "aerodynamic" and the replaceable bulb filament is 9007. So if your Ford E350 or E450 chassis is a 2007 or older with the previous grille styling, then bulb 9007 is the one to use.

Now........

There are bulb manufactures like Sylvania for example that offer brighter 9007 bulbs. Now-a-days every standard headlight is halogen, but the bulb companies are offering brighter versions using the same technology.

Two nights ago, I replaced our son's headlight bulbs on his Hyundai Elantra with a brighter halogen offered by Sylvania, sold in a twin pack at Walmart. They are called "SilverStar Ultra" Comparing his original used working bulb to one new bulb, we both agreed the new SilverStar Ultra was noticeably brighter. Then we replaced the old but working bulb to match.

Here is Walmart's extra bright 9007 bulb offering. I don't know if a 2008 or newer E350 or E450 takes this same bulb, but the 2007 and older surely do. I was thinking of buying a pair for our motor home, now this subject has come up....hmmm.
[image]

According to my 2007 owners manual, my E350 headlight bulbs can be changed without tools, seemingly in just seconds. With hood open, on top of the lens are two tabs. I lift them to a clicking stop, then the headlight lens comes right out for total access.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brighter bulbs (like the Silverstar Ultra) are indeed brighter than standard bulbs, but that comes at the expense of very significantly reduced bulb life (which is usually listed in the small print on the back of the package, though I'm not sure if there is any standard across manufacturers for the tests). Particularly if you do a fair bit of night driving, that may be a worthwhile consideration.

The reason for the reduced bulb life is pretty straightforward: they burn hotter, in order to be brighter, and so burn out more quickly. As the saying goes, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Headlight revolution.com for expert advice .

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Anyone here upgraded their headlights?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS