cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dead microwave

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Our microwave died on our last trip. It is a built in Magic Chef MCD991ARB. I have pulled it out. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement? We will be limited on size due to its location. Thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

There are a plethora of sizes of microwaves on the shelves now that would fit.

"Plethora" -and then some- for sure!

Wonder why the need to ask?

Measure. If not an exact fit - A bit of "creative molding" (easy) will take care of anything smaller than the opening.

~

jleamont
Explorer
Explorer
If you can find a small compartment marked "fuse", open that up & replace the fuse. However, don't go any further into the guts of the microwave oven; some of the capacitors inside will hold a charge that will not be your friend. If no fuse place found, give it a decent funeral

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Could replace with a convection/microwave.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My DH has fixed my Sharp convection twice. Once the turntable motor quit working. He researches on the internet and then finds a YouTube video showing how to fix it. He ordered the motor and fixed it. A couple years later the door latch broke. Again he fixed it. The latch was $4. Still running strong going on 15 years.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 when they stop working properly they get thrown out.

I would not attempt to open and try fixing, imho too dangerous. Last thing you need is a fire in a MH. And I've seen a couple micro's in RV's catch fire. They are now disposable. Buy a new one. There are a plethora of sizes of microwaves on the shelves now that would fit.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
When our original Sharp died, I found an $88 Hamilton Beach at Walmart that fit right in the same space. The only mods needed were minor bends on the Sharp ventilated trim straps and small shims under the feet to get the height right.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I can not help you find one save take your measuring device to Best Buy
BUT I can tell you LG or Goldstar are brands to avoid. In my not very humble opinion.

I know. They are trash. We have a good sized counter in the kitchen area. We may get a decent sized one and sit it there and use the open hole for cabinet space. Just need to fit a door over it that closely matches the rest of the cabinets. We will just have to make sure the microwave is properly secured for travel.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can not help you find one save take your measuring device to Best Buy
BUT I can tell you LG or Goldstar are brands to avoid. In my not very humble opinion.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
12th Man Fan wrote:
Most microwaves have an internal fuse. Did you check that?

Be very, very careful disassembling any microwave. Everyone has internal capacitors that can deliver a lethal (AKA deadly) jolt of electricity.

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Microwaves are so cheap, a broken one only demands to be landfilled.

Yes they are. Our city has electronic recycling three times a year and the next one is in mid October so that is where this one is going.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Microwaves are so cheap, a broken one only demands to be landfilled.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer
Explorer
Do a Google search for "microwave runs for two seconds and stops." It's not an uncommon issue and fixable. I think I remember is being discussed on this forum.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
Hokiehall wrote:
12th Man Fan wrote:
Most microwaves have an internal fuse. Did you check that?

It will run for 2 seconds and cut off. Clock is still working on it.

I recently bought a used Class A and my microwave did the same thing. I had put a cup of water in to test it. It ran for a few seconds then stopped. The clock still worked fine but not the microwave. After numerous tries I found the door was warped slightly. The upper latch makes the internal switch to allow it to work. Apparently the upper door latch was not fully engaging the switch.
I opened the door and slightly twisted the door (pushed top in and pulled bottom out) as to not break the glass. Closed the door and it has worked fine since.
I know you've already pulled it out but try this. Next time you try yours and if it runs a few seconds then stops, try pushing in the top of the door.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
I found our replacement microwave at Best Buy for about $100...
E.Lee Galik