cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Million-mile battery unveiled by ground-breaking research.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
If this is true than ICE autos and such are going instinct faster than ever thought, might want to hold off on that expensive ICE RV or Truck..

Million-mile battery unveiled by ground-breaking research

Elon Musk promisedโ€”and Jeff Dahn delivered. With the publishing of a ground-breaking paper in the Journal of The Electrochemical Society (JES), Dahn announced to the world that Tesla may soon have a battery that makes their robot taxis and long-haul electric trucks viable.

Dahn and his research group are Tesla's battery research partner. Dahn said: "Cells of this type should be able to power an electric vehicle for over one million miles and last at least two decades in grid energy storage."

https://m.techxplore.com/news/2019-09-million-mile-battery-unveiled-ground-breaking.html
7 REPLIES 7

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread kind of got derailed, as usual with threads. But the point of the OP's original post was to celebrate a battery that will last a long time, not hold a charge a long time, or supply electricity for a long time, but be recharged lots of times.

IMO, incremental improvement in storage, hardly groundbreaking news. Now a battery the size of a 9 volt battery, and able to power a truck pulling a trailer for 500 miles, that would be groundbreaking, world shaking news.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
When I can replenish a battery as fast as it takes me fuel my truck, while on a trip, I might get interested. Around town driving is a different deal. But, I doubt I need a million mile, 20 year battery at 74 Years old.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
What can be done in a lab or in small quantities in a controlled environment is often not practical scaled up for large-scale manufacturing and exposed to real world conditions.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
If the batteries are used in a โ€œspacecraftโ€.......covering a million miles wouldnโ€™t take very long! memtb

Yeah, Been some that went to the moon and back.
And to Mars.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If the batteries are used in a โ€œspacecraftโ€.......covering a million miles wouldnโ€™t take very long! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
"Cells of this type should be able to power an electric vehicle for over one million miles and last at least two decades in grid energy storage."

That word is very important when used by anyone associated with Tesla...

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Before one thinks the battery will go for a million miles before charge is not true, it will last for a million miles of recharging..

Game changer..