cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

.Options for Highspeed Internet Anywhere (Data Intensive)

cblacklockjr
Explorer
Explorer
I am an Engineering consultant looking to full-time. Having access to wireless internet will be key to this adventure. Unfortunately, my needs are very data intensive. I am look for options available that meet the following general criteria.

o Wireless Internet Accessible at 99% of all locations in the US.
o 10 GB per day without reduced download speeds.
o Download speeds of 50 mbps.
o Upload speeds of 10 mbps.

Through some research, I have found that this will be challenging. I have reviewed some satellite options and 4G/5G options and have realized that they may not be able to come close to this.

What are the best options for wireless internet access when full-timing and what is the closest option (even if it doesn't meet it) to the criteria above.

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Newbie hit and run post, OP never came back.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

cblacklockjr wrote:

Finding 99% 'wireless' accessibility is not realistic? Adding your other requirements make this almost impossible? If you do find such a service provider, you can expect it to involve some extreme fees.

pconroy328 wrote:

I'll bet Amazon AWS has DaaS as an option.

I agree this makes more sense. You'd just need the connection to access your virtual desktop.

What is actually causing you to require such high wireless bandwidth?

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
I work remote and where we lived previously we did not have cable internet and the latency with Satellite was awful. We had a VZ jetpack that not only provided enough to work remote, we used it as our sole internet. I work for a large bank and the encrypted VPN didn't seem to be bothered with the speeds I was getting. Not sure why you need such speeds but even while cable may advertise them, you'll never get it - even hardwired. What speeds are you getting now and how?

Huuuhhh?

My good old Comcast rural cable here at home is 80-90 mbps down and 5-6 mbps up - hour after hour and day after day. The data limit is 1 terabyte (1000 GB) per month - with no throttling up to that point. I measure those speeds with unbiased measurement software here at home all the time .... at least once per day at various times. I stream 4K UHD HDR video (often while two others are streaming video at the same time) often for hours here at home ... all with no buffering and superfast menu responses.

The OP "should" be able to get what he needs from cell towers while camped - but it will cost. The doggone trottling is the main irritant - and is a copout con job by the Internet providers, IMHO.

Also 5G will not be an eventual solution, as it's higher frequency carrier band(s) will travel even less far than 4G. 5G will not be a good rural access answer for data intensive RV'ers.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
50/10?

I'm an engineer working for a large corporation. I've never done anything that requires those kinds of speeds. I've only had an issue a couple of times where my work cell hot spot went down, and had to use my personal cell hot spot, which has a weak signal at our park model. In all but the middle of the summer, I can use the park's wifi. Even my B&M, I'm only at 25/5.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
vermilye wrote:

50 Mb down & 10Mb up? & 10Gb per day?

25 Mbs down & 3 Mbps up

10 Gb/day = ~300 Gb/month = yep (Business 300 plan)

Unless you want to use the service during business hours. That's limited to 50GB/month with the other 250GB allowed anytime outside those hours.

That's not how it works, Bill. You have to use those 50 GB during business hours. However, the remaining 250 GB can be used any time.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
vermilye wrote:

25 Mbs down & 3 Mbps up

Unless you want to use the service during business hours. That's limited to 50GB/month with the other 250GB allowed anytime outside those hours.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I work remote and where we lived previously we did not have cable internet and the latency with Satellite was awful. We had a VZ jetpack that not only provided enough to work remote, we used it as our sole internet. I work for a large bank and the encrypted VPN didn't seem to be bothered with the speeds I was getting. Not sure why you need such speeds but even while cable may advertise them, you'll never get it - even hardwired. What speeds are you getting now and how?

We are currently in the planning stages of full timing in the next 2 years and I will still be working. Can't imagine why a hotspot from ATT or VZ wouldn't work. I was never concerned before, no reason why 2 years later it's not even better than it was. I am also reading that larger carriers are offering truly unlimited data without throttling for prices competitive to cable.

My advice, try a hotspot/mifi/jetpack (I was able to test one with VZ to make sure it worked before I committed to a plan) and test it. No risk and you'll know first hand. You'll never get the speeds you want, but I am doubting you actually need it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:

25 Mbs down & 3 Mbps up

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
Kevarino wrote:
l havenโ€™t tried it yet, but Iโ€™ve been thinking that a desktop in the โ€œcloudโ€ might be the answer. Let it do all the heavy lifting and all you need is enough bandwidth to communicate with it.

There's the rub.

vermilye wrote:
. . . while there are satellite services that could meet your requirements, they are not mobile, and very expensive.

Not true. Fast, Ka-band mobile sat service has been available for a couple of years -- HughesNet Gen 5 portable dish and HughesNet automatic sat dishes.

OP, the most common RV setup is some type of cell data plan, typically from Verizon or AT&T. And unless you use some sort of "biased" Internet speed tester, you'll almost never see the speeds you're looking for.

I use a cellular & sat data combo when I travel. Here's my last report of over 40 campgrounds I stayed at this year: Campground Internet Report 2.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Less grumpy and a bit more coffee fuelled response. ๐Ÿ™‚

DaaS or VDI is about the only way I can come up with to get those data speeds without caps.

VDI is essentially - the "real" desktop computer is in a data center someplace. And you use "remote desktop" software to connect and control it.

The technology is mature and we use it extensively at work. Your bandwith needs drop back into the 4G/LTE range to get decent responsiveness.

You won't want satellite because the latency would drive you nutz.

I'll bet Amazon AWS has DaaS as an option. I'd lool into that.

The first point, 99% coverage, still needs some 'splaining.
Out here, there are HUGE swaths of land where's there's no signal. Not nuttin'. Zero bars.

Someone else said it, if you want those parameters around your connectivity, you're essentially camping underneath a 4G cell tower.

WiFi? Starbuck, McDonald's. Lowes, etc - they won't give you those speeds either.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Give SpaceX a couple of years to deploy Starlink
-- Chris Bryant

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Unless you are willing/able to adapt to the available technology...you will have to stay in the office.

Also an engineer but no you aren't going to get what are asking for...at least not without some limitations on speeds and at huge costs.

What kind of engineering are you doing that you need to transfer that much data per day?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
cblacklockjr wrote:

99% of all locations in the US.
I'm sorry and I'm a bit grumpy tonight - but what the #$%^ does that even mean???

50 down, 10 up???

You realize that 4G LTE can't promise that right?

10 gig a day, 200 GB a month unthrottled????

Whoever else suggested VDI, I agree.
That's going to be the only chance you have, IMHO...

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Hughesnet?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)