Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New 6 volt golf cart batteries seem not to be charging
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New 6 volt golf cart batteries seem not to be charging

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
smsinville

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/19 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Heartland Edge trailer...21 ft...year 2010. I've had no issues with the single 12V house battery. We're planning a trip that will involve lots of boondocking, and so I've put in two 6V golf cart batteries; the gel kind. AFter that install, the battery status showed "full". As a "test", I turned on some lights and a 12V fan to see how long I could power them. AFter 3 days the simple battery status gauge (stock one, with tank status lights) showed about 2/3. So I plugged back into shore power to check recharging. Even after 5 days the battery status is still at 2/3. It appears the power center is is not recharging those batteries. Any idea what could be wrong? I do plan to use a multimeter to see what the 12V wire leads show, what the two batteries show. Maybe I just need a more sophisticated battery status indicator?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New batteries, good opportunity for a reversed polarity which pops the converter fuses for that. (maybe two 30a fuses on the DC fuse panel or else on the converter)

So you are on battery with the wires reversed, the lights work, but the fans run backwards.

If red and white, red is pos. If red and black, red is pos. If black and white , black is pos.

The battery monitor is a rough voltmeter. A full battery is 12.7v, so the converter at 13.6 will show as full even if the battery is nearly dead. With no converter (as now) it will show the actual battery state (roughly)

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two things to check.
1- Make sure the circuit breaker for the converter is not tripped.
2- Check the two reverse polarity fuses on the converter (30 or 40 amp fuses).

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our progressive converter has three reverse polarity fuses, same principal tho. Check the breakers. Progressive tells you to remove the positive cable from the converter then check the output. If it is 12V then it is working, if not it isn't.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New install? You connected them wrong or simply left a wire off. Redo your install.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you wired them in series. You can ignore the battery disconnect in the diagram if your trailer doesn't have one.

[image]

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

smsinville

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I certainly appreciate all the quick responses. I am certain it is wired correctly as that is a simple pattern to follow. However, I used a four gauge wire for the interconnect and I am seeing today in some comments and research that I should have used a two gauge wire. I have not yet checked the circuit breakers and fuses and I will do that. But I’m thinking maybe the gauge of the interconnect wire might be a factor. Anyone have an opinion on that?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good way to start is with an excellent diagram showing cable connections to 4 golf car batteries. For things like connecting the battery condition meter to one pair of batteries and connecting the charger to the other pair.

Start off simple where most mistakes are made, please.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 02:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your wiring gauge is not the problem, especially not the short wire connecting the two batteries together. My trailer has 6 gauge wire between the batteries and from the charge to the battery about 20 feet away and it charges fine.

You mentioned you have a multimeter. Unplug the trailer and run the furnace blower for 3 minutes, then turn it off. Take a reading at your batteries, if you have the ability also take a reading at the circuit board for the converter charger. Then plug the trailer back in and take readings at both the charge controller and the batteries, and let us know what you find.

I'm betting you have a loose ground or a blown reverse polarity fuse. but you won't know anything until you take some readings.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wired wrong. Breaker tripped.. bad battery and where did you find "GEL" 12 volt RV size batteries.. They don't make GEL in the sizes we use in fact they don't much make GEL any more.. AGM yes but not GEL

And if you bought OPTIMA (which is sometimes marketed as GEL even though they are AGM) you got ripped off only 2/3 the capacity of standard AGM batteries at 4/3 the price or more.

NOTE: Gel are very finicky eaters You charge them as fast as I do my Flooded wet's and they die and die fast.. AGM's on the other hand are the opposite. you can charge them same as Flooded. Some makes even faster.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New 6 volt golf cart batteries seem not to be charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.