cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage Compartment Theft

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
Had our pass-thru storage compartment broken into while our trailer was in the storage yard. This is the fairly flimsy door with the CH751 key. In this case they just pulled on the bottom of the door and bent the inner lip where the cam lock tang grabs. The question is whether there is anything that can be done to beef this compartment up in terms of break-in prevention. I really don't want to have to empty it every time I put it in storage.

Thanks,
Andre
34 REPLIES 34

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Heymon wrote:
Yeah, that compartment on my rig has a lot of stuff in there. Most of it is cheap, but together it is a few hundred dollars. Much too much to empty every time. Also not realistic to leave it unlocked, as you can get into the inside that way. I am going to beef up the lock/security and try to keep the more important items like the griddle inside or in the better secured storage compartment I have. We will see what they think of next. My storage yard is improving the cameras to a motion sensor/monitored set up so that someone can look and see what is going on and actually speak to them via a PA system while they call the cops. At least they are trying to do something.

Yep, I getcha. I’ve got a lot of stuff in the compartment, too. It would be a real hassle to unload it every time.
Hope everything works out for you.
Oh, just thought of something. How about a cover? Though that might be a pain to take on and off.
Good luck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, that compartment on my rig has a lot of stuff in there. Most of it is cheap, but together it is a few hundred dollars. Much too much to empty every time. Also not realistic to leave it unlocked, as you can get into the inside that way. I am going to beef up the lock/security and try to keep the more important items like the griddle inside or in the better secured storage compartment I have. We will see what they think of next. My storage yard is improving the cameras to a motion sensor/monitored set up so that someone can look and see what is going on and actually speak to them via a PA system while they call the cops. At least they are trying to do something.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
After reading all the suggestions here, I would go the simple route. Empty the compartment. Take the stuff home or store inside, then leave the compartment unlocked.
I would not want the damage that could happen with a more secure door.
I do the same with my vehicles. Usually leave them unlocked with nothing valuable in there. My insurance will cover a broken window, but it’s such a PITA to get it replaced.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Security is always a trade off. You trade usability and aesthetics for security. The question that each must answer for themselves is: What is the appropriate balance? What's appropriate for one, for example leaving an empty compartment unlocked, will likely be wholly inappropriate for others.

There are many ways, some legal and some not, some practical and some not, to improve security. It is entirely possible to reinforce the compartment access door to the point that its "practically" impenetrable. However, doing so only does so much good... The rest of the RV isn't as easily secured. So for instance, you could replace the access door with a solid steel door, but the wall of the RV is made of an thin skin of fiberglass on the outside, thin plywood on the inside, and Styrofoam in the middle. The compartment is probably also at least partially accessible from inside the RV, so they could simply break a window climb in and access it that way. Etc...

So what makes sense? There are a few simple things that can make you less attractive than your neighbors. Some of them are simple and not too invasive aesthetically. Some are less simple and more invasive.

• You can choose from an array of replacement cam-locks with varying degrees of improvement is quality/security.
  • You can look at increasing the length of the locking tab on the cam locks, again with varying levels of quality
  • As I suggested above, you can reinforce where the cam locks engage. This can be easily done with modest cost and modest security improvement or it can be much more extensive. For simple, just screwing an L channel to the existing door flange and the plywood floor will add a fair amount of security. To take this further, you could add reinforcement under the floor of the compartment and securely screw/bolt the L bracket to the reinforcement.
  • Look at the reinforcing the area the cam locks are installed in. You can fabricate a plate similar to what opnspaces suggested. If you search for cam lock mounting plate, you can find them for a couple of bucks. One on the inside with a couple of short screws will provide a modest increase in security. One on each side with bolts through would significantly increase security at the cost of aesthetics. These prevent the lock from spinning in the hole in addition to spreading the force.
  • Reinforce the door with some type of wood or metal backing. Again, this will likely come with some aesthetic trade offs.
  • Add reinforced locking mechanism or bar only accessible from inside the trailer, assuming you have access from inside.
  • Add a locking mechanism that only opens from inside if you have access from inside.
  • You could add locking hasps as other suggested, quite effective, but not so aesthetically pleasing.
  • As I already suggested consider an alarm system for the compartment and the RV. Hopefully the blaring alarm would scare them away. Most don't want the attention. You could even get something with cellular notification to alert you something has happened. As a side benefit, you could add fire alarms to the same system.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

jdealcpa
Explorer
Explorer
My brothers new MH was broke into, they stole the radio, tv and some trinkets. Not very costly or hard to replace. The real cost in time and money was the damage done to get into the MH. The damaged area was never as good as new. As a consequence I don’t lock my MH. I don’t advertise that it’s not locked. I figure if they decide to steal from me their going to do it regardless. So I want to have as little damage as possible to the RV.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I leave the compartments unlocked, and bring the bins back to my garage with me when putting it in storage. Pretty easy for me to do since everything is in large bins. I do lock the main house part though, and just hope for the best there. I like the idea of only using the deadbolt, had not thought of that.

I like the mousetrap idea too.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

westend
Explorer
Explorer
A steel flat bar across the compartment door with 2 padlocks attached to hasps on either side will probably deter the wandering thief. He'll just choose another trailer for what he wants. It occurs to me that you could move the items you typically store in the compartments to the inside. Leaving a compartment bare is a good indicator to the crack head that you have removed any easily accessible items.

If a thief is determined there is no stopping them. FWIW, I contracted in a local petro facility. Of course, the refinery is fenced and the usual security is in place. Overnight, thieves came in and removed 1/4 mile of large copper electrical cable. It was powered while they removed it and fastened to a walkway leading down to the river. A lot of work to accomplish just for copper wire but compulsion to steal overrides most reasoning, I guess.

Good luck with the security upgrades. Keep it visible and remove valuables would be my suggestion.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
"CAUTION!!!
On some units, it may be possible to access the interior thru the storage compartment.... This would mean that a bad guy could be inside waiting for you"

OMG!!

How long they have have to wait to acost someone who's camper is in a storage facility is more concerning.....full black tank! Yuck!
If the TT never left the storage lot.... Your concerns would be valid.

Some years back, in AZ we had an elderly couple killed in their camper at a campground near Ashurst lake.... The bad guys were inside waiting for them.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Heymon wrote:

Ron3rd, unfortunately these guys are not after resale items. They take these items for personal use at the local "homeless" encampment.

Or fortunately, I'd say. Either way theft is theft, just the nice guys are less likely to trash the place too. Don't kid yourself, most have addiction problems or they wouldn't be homeless.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
There's some cool motion detection activated Halloween decorations out there. That would be fun to watch them open the compartment if you had a trail cam setup on video mode!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
"CAUTION!!!
On some units, it may be possible to access the interior thru the storage compartment.... This would mean that a bad guy could be inside waiting for you"

OMG!!

How long they have have to wait to acost someone who's camper is in a storage facility is more concerning.....full black tank! Yuck!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
replace the lock with a simple twist latch(no lock) and leave the compartment empty of anything worth stealing
you cant stop the thieves, just prevent the damage from them breaking in
CAUTION!!!
On some units, it may be possible to access the interior thru the storage compartment.... This would mean that a bad guy could be inside waiting for you.

So I am in the camp of reasonable restriction to the compartments. In most cases all you need to do is make it harder than the next guys TT to break into.
It isn't possible to make a TT into Fort Knox, but neither is it with your S&B house... But most still lock their doors. Why?? Because it is a reasonable precaution.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
replace the lock with a simple twist latch(no lock) and leave the compartment empty of anything worth stealing
you cant stop the thieves, just prevent the damage from them breaking in
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces, you add an interesting idea. I think if the thief assumes that the door is a standard, weak door they may try forcing it wondering what is wrong when it doesn't open as easily as it should. So yes, external indication that there is something different could be useful. Thanks for that.

Ron3rd, unfortunately these guys are not after resale items. They take these items for personal use at the local "homeless" encampment.