Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: double trailers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> double trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is the best reply I have read in all the yrs that I have been on RV.net

samsontdog">">

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My former truck shop is in upstate NY in a popular recreation area. Each summer season the shop has a half dozen or so toad and boat "guests" in the secure storage lot waiting for the owners to return for them after the police made them drop the last unit of a double. The most common excuse is, "It's legal in my state...". There's one very nice boat that's been on the lot for three years now after being dropped, and the owner pays the storage fee every month like clock work.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dedmiston

So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/19 11:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

Triple towing are not allowed in those two states for recreational vehicles. It's called triple towing (as it relates to RV's) based on how many items are in that attached group, not how many items are being towed. There are separate rules for commercial DOT trucking that are different for private RV's regardless what they look like or can be considered.

It's doubles. You tow a trailer and you're just towing. That one trailer isn't a double, it's just a trailer. You add a boat behind it and you're towing double.

Those FedEx rigs you see in some states with a tractor and three trailers are triples, not quadruples.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

ItsyRV wrote:

Triple towing are not allowed in those two states for recreational vehicles. It's called triple towing (as it relates to RV's) based on how many items are in that attached group, not how many items are being towed. There are separate rules for commercial DOT trucking that are different for private RV's regardless what they look like or can be considered.

It's doubles. You tow a trailer and you're just towing. That one trailer isn't a double, it's just a trailer. You add a boat behind it and you're towing double.

Those FedEx rigs you see in some states with a tractor and three trailers are triples, not quadruples.

Some states dont allow doubles towing period and most of them are on the East cost. Every state that allow them has their own licence requirments, some require a special licence and other dont. The licence required in your state is good in all the other states that allow doubles towing. You just have to pay attention to the length as each state has its own requirement you have to abide by

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

djsamuel

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

samsontdog wrote:

That is the best reply I have read in all the yrs that I have been on RV.net

i was thinking the same thing. I am not planning on ever double towing yet I found his post really informative.

Picture of Our Trailer

Camplite 21BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> double trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.