cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black starting to show through on rubber roof

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
This year for the first time I noticed the black starting to show through on my 15 year old rubber roof. Only in a few places - mostly where I tend to scrub more in preparation for Proflex touch-ups.

I know this means the roof is starting to wear out and will have to be dealt with by replacement or recoating. I wonder how much "grace period" I have before it starts leaking? I really don't want to tackle a major project like this this year. Think I'll make it another 1/2 year?
David Kojen
9 REPLIES 9

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The coating isn't just cosmetic. It's there to keep UV off the rubber.
Without the coating the rubber will quickly break down and crack.

Good luck,
Scott

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
mine was showing black seem like forever before I sold it, You got years of life left
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. I'll cover it for the winter and try recoating next spring.
David Kojen

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
As long as there are no cracks you should be good for at least another year provide you don't experience really harsh inclement weather.

The OP lives in Massachusettes. Harsh inclement weather is a normal winter. ๐Ÿ™‚

If you're not going to coat the roof, I would at least cover the RV for the winter.
Even winter sun can cause damage. Trust me.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen them completely black. White is nothing more then to reflect the sun. Rubber roofs should on average go20 years.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
As long as there are no cracks you should be good for at least another year provide you don't experience really harsh inclement weather.

My roof started cracking at each edge and that's when I began seeing water damage in a couple of areas.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't you feel more comfortable coating it now with Fall and Winter coming? Besides it is just "when" you do it, not whether you do it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
The roof of my old TT was turning black in places for about 2 years before I got around to recoating it. Not suggesting you to wait that long, but it's not going to suddenly disintegrate on you.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hard to predict time length before leaks appear, as many RV roofs leak long before 15 years. When the black is showing, it is time for a recoat, but does not mean a leak is likely. I think the white coating is mostly cosmetic, and to reflect heat.

Jerry