Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill Tex wrote:

Forgot the upper walls.

...we've had our camper installed into our original 2004 Silverado 2500HD 8 foot truck bed for 15 years straight. No detectable scratches on the inside truck bed walls (I had to unload camper briefly last year after winter storage). I built "chaps" over the 2 wheel wells in the truck bed, made from shop floor high-density protective material.

Camper sits on a thick rubber bed mat (original bed mat, never replaced; 15 years old), and the camper "tub" is braced fore of wheel-wells, and along tub bulkhead with closed-cell polypropylene industrial grade foam packing bracing (3+ foot long pieces) with thick microfiber buffers between bed walls and packing bracing. The camper never shifts, but barely 3/8s of an inch max over many years. And, our camper ascends/descends a 340 foot long driveway that is 30% grade over a 120 foot stretch (maybe ~8 to 14 times a season excursions).

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit Dog wrote:

Under the bed mat?

….as of last year (15 years with camper loaded), no discernable scratches under our bed mat. Just black rubber imparted to the silver birch paint job under the mat. I can remove the black streaks with washing and the back side of a special microcloth with a bit of elbow grease....

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to everyone here who has given me lots of great info and ideas during my design phase. Super helpful!

I have had fun fine tuning the final details with Matt at Hallmark. He has been great to work with to help us build the pop up truck camper of our dreams.

Any other final details (or small options) we should consider adding to the build?

The build is now:

9.5’ long body, with extended cab over bed, and bed side storage units (going on a F350 crew cab, long bed)

AluCab 270 Shadow awning (passenger side)

NovaCool 2 way fridge - side by side - 7.5CU FT

2 x 20 lb propane tanks

Glass top Cooktop 2 Burner

mini shower stall, with tie down points for a PortAPotty

external shower - Bullfinch

TrumaCombiPlus for propane / 120v hot air and hot water

Tork Lift Tie Downs

Zamp external solar panel port. (likely rarely used)

720 watts solar on roof

2 x 100 amp hour lithium batteries. BattleBorn.

all Victron system, with inverter, Color control panel, etc etc

Air Conditioner Mach 8 Polar Cub on roof.

2 LED floodlights on rear with 3 way switch (on, off, or triggered by reverse)

ladder to roof for cleaning dirt or snow off solar panels

30 gallon fresh water tank, grey tank.

rear storage bins

2 x 20 lb propane bottles.

bed mat included.

thanks!

J.

crosscheck

Coldstream, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 10:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AC exterior plug

Dave

2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/19 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crosscheck wrote:

AC exterior plug

Dave

Thanks Dave.... yup I am confident they would include a shore 120v hookup. We spoke of it, indirectly. Thanks. :-)

autorot8

OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LosAngeles wrote:

crosscheck wrote:

AC exterior plug

Dave

Thanks Dave.... yup I am confident they would include a shore 120v hookup. We spoke of it, indirectly. Thanks. :-)

I wonder if Dave meant an exterior AC plug to plug accessories into for use outside, not the shore hookup.

2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 6.4l Hemi
2020 Northstar TC800 EB
"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 way fridge, as in AC and DC, not LP?
That will be a huge challenge. When you're traveling and no fhu sites, you'll kill the batteries, guaranteed. Not like a popup TC sits on a seasonal site.
2 burner glass cooktop, same as fridge if it's electric. Bad idea for a camper. Plus induction cooktops s uck even in residential applications. Have you used one before?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

2 way fridge, as in AC and DC, not LP?
That will be a huge challenge. When you're traveling and no fhu sites, you'll kill the batteries, guaranteed. Not like a popup TC sits on a seasonal site.
2 burner glass cooktop, same as fridge if it's electric. Bad idea for a camper. Plus induction cooktops s uck even in residential applications. Have you used one before?

Yes the fridge is 12 v / 120v no propane, and we have done the calculations, and with 720 watts solar, 200 amp hours Lithium (can be discharged to 10% empty, repeatedly, no damage)

.... plus some power from the truck when we drive around.... we will be fine. We tend to not stay more than 2 days in one spot.

Very likely carry a backup generator as well.

2 burner glass top cooktop is propane. The glass top just means the top folds down, to make a flat counter top when not in use. :-)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Range sounds cool.
I'd re think the fridge thing though. There's a reason that RVs are predominately 3 way. And LP is hands down the source that requires the least care or concern. Why limit yourself? You're already doing the coupe de gras of truck/popup combo.
It's a weird thing to intentionally not have, especially for the type of RV it is.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Range sounds cool.
I'd re think the fridge thing though. There's a reason that RVs are predominately 3 way. And LP is hands down the source that requires the least care or concern. Why limit yourself? You're already doing the coupe de gras of truck/popup combo.
It's a weird thing to intentionally not have, especially for the type of RV it is.

It’s a compressor fridge, they use way less amperage that a ammonia base fridge on 12 volts. Back on 06 I had a compressor fridge in my Northstar TC and I could get 3 days out of my deep cycle batteries without hookups.
LA, you will be fine with your fridge/ solar set up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Did I forget anything? ordering a new Hallmark pop up camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.