cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for 19.5 tires again

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My F450 rear tires are pretty worn and getting close to 60K miles on them. Although they aren’t quite gone, I find it better to replace tires before Winter instead of after.

I’m thinking about Hankook DH07s on the rear and less aggressive AH35s for the front, or Toyo M655s for all positions or M920s for all positions. The M920s don’t look very aggressive, but I hear they do really well in snow. I do want M+S rated tires for the front, but steer rated tires.

I’ve read a lot of people have gone up to 245s on the stock F450 rims that are 6 inch. There are also a lot of people who say don’t do it because it might cause the bead to come loose with a heavy load. The conflicting information is that Hankook says their 225s should be on 6.75 wheels. In that case, the 245s won’t be any worse since they recommend 6.75 wheels for them as well.

I’m open to any other brand suggestions.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
6 REPLIES 6

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That's the tires principals.
When you choose hard-rubber tires like MOST Hankook or Michelin, they will last long, but suck in slippery condition.
For snow you need soft rubber tires, but those seldom last longer than 30k miles.
It is always a compromise.

Bigfeets
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve ran a couple pairs of the Hankook and they seem to handle wet roads poorly. I’d recommend something else.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
On the newer truck, I'm aiming towards the M655's.. I know the 920's are quieter, but the smaller block treads squirm/walk under heavy weights.

I'm hesitating, because my camper rig isn't that heavy; avg about 12k on the rear. When I get up around 13k and over, the block treads are horrible.

With that...I'm not sure, but leaning. I HATE tire noise.

I run straight rib M143's on one of the work trucks. Solid, quiet, and actually pretty good traction on packed snow. Take cables and chains well too.

For those that don't have the 19.5's... I loved the Toyo HT's we had on some rigs. Quiet, great traction even in the compact snow..not it's not a 'mud' tire.. and decent wear. They make them in just about every size other than 19.5.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any more thoughts on brands/models to consider?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I put Sailungs (?) on my F450 and got honest 59,000 miles out of them.
Traction on flatbed was never good, so can't say much about performance.

2_Piece
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin's?
2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.