Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: To Buy or build
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> To Buy or build

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just get a quality used RV 5 to 10 years preowned. Bus shell? You will be full time working instead of travelling. You will find plenty to do upgrading, maintaining and repairing any RV (new or used) let alone build out your own.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll,

That's a pretty ambitious project, and considering you don't have the space available to work on it, I wouldn't even consider it.

That said, your friends "custom Sprinter"....has he brought it to the scales to have it weighed? I've read many things about the Sprinters, and a common issue is that they are very low on available cargo carrying capacity. If your friend built it like he'd build a house, without any consideration for the weight of the materials used, he might be VERY overweight. In my opinion, that would be unsafe. Again, in my opinion, that would quickly take the bloom off of THAT rose! LOL

Obviously, if you work on converting a larger chassis which has ample weight capacity this probably won't be a concern. But then we're back to the lack of space.

In my opinion, and what I'm thinking about, is to pick up a nice, 20 year oldish , low mileage, well cared for, high-end Prevost or similar when I'm ready to retire and do some serious travelling. Personally, I'm not worried about the "green" thing, but maybe you can convince your wife that by purchasing a used motorhome, you're actually doing a GREAT thing by getting more life out of everything that went in to create it. The ULTIMATE recycling. You're not using ANY new materials, unless you make some mods to the existing layout.

Good Luck, hopefully things won't get too heated! [emoticon]

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (22-Angel, Lexi96.org), 1 girl (17), 2 boys (19 & 16).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Appreciate the comments - some are really funny by the way. in terms of materials I would use, I totally agree. I can be greener with the choice of products, like paints and stains, flooring etc, but in some cases, it is what it is. Also newer engines are not only more reliable but more eco friendly due to emissions. There is also a reliability concern, I am no mechanic. Older - especially busses that have lived a hard life seem to me to be more prone to a breakdown. Busses also ride much harsher than a nice gasser or DP.

We have owned a few Class A MH's in the past decade so I feel pretty comfortable about what I want/need in terms of a full time rig. This is also where busses typically fall short. Unless you build in storage, there isn't any.

My wife is just really hung up on the DIY, homegrown, granola type rig and isn't really into flashy, new RV's. I think there needs to be a compromise here but for me, it starts with the platform and all electrical, plumbing, HVAC etc being already there. I can modify something extensively, but from scratch, I don't think she understands that despite a positive attitude, feasibility is a huge concern. I just feel as though I'd be re-inventing the wheel for the sake of aesthetics and possible some green options - and a trade off for some worse ones.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

there is a DP on Raleigh craigs list for $15,000 that just needs some cosmetic work...Why not something like that?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When first considering an RV, I looked and find an Airstream that needs some TLC. I figure, I can make it look like new with off-the-shelf and OEM Airstream equipment and furnishings.

Slept on it. And slept on it a little bit more.

Found out though I love doing DIY on my home, I neither have the passion (with my home, it's a must and an obligation), the patience nor the time.

I just bought new and have enjoying it since Day 1. I still look at an Airstream but I'll probably buy one in case I'm inclined towards an upgrade.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

My wife is just really hung up on the DIY, homegrown, granola type rig and isn't really into flashy, new RV's. I think there needs to be a compromise here but for me, it starts with the platform and all electrical, plumbing, HVAC etc being already there. I can modify something extensively, but from scratch, I don't think she understands that despite a positive attitude, feasibility is a huge concern. I just feel as though I'd be re-inventing the wheel for the sake of aesthetics and possible some green options - and a trade off for some worse ones.

I'm a few more years away from worrying about it, but my next rig will hopefully be a mid 90's dp with a 5.9 Cummins/Allison and no slides. I figure pick one up 2 years before I'm ready for it, and spend the time making it awesome. The basics will already be there, a remodel/rebuild is much easier than a straight build from scratch.

What is more granola than recycling a 30 year old motorhome into something great again?

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being “Green” in a Prius maybe but not going to happen in a MH at 7mpg regardless of which engine emission standards. 2 years to maybe get halfway done on a conversion or 2 years enjoying a older MH (gasses already vented) that you can customize as you find things you do not like. On second thought...new wife will be easier but not cheaper.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If wife is seriously into green, you might have to wait for EV RVs. I'm sure RV manufacturers will rush to convert one when Rivian, Ford, GM, Tesla release their BEV trucks and semis.

fred42

Charlotte, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some things to consider:

1. Other companies may be different but I just purchased a Progressive RV insurance policy last week and they made me certify that it was not a conversion of any kind.

2. If you like to build things well you will tend to build much heavier than standard RVs. This could create load/handling issues.

2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Green" and "Bus Conversion" are 2 terms not normally mentioned in the same post.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> To Buy or build
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.