Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: General thoughts on Hybrids
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> General thoughts on Hybrids

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SLIGHTLY off topic as I'm asking more about T(oad)Vs rather than T(ow)Vs.

BUT, this is the motorhead sub-forum - engines and drive trains and MPGs and all that fun stuff.

What do "we" think about hybrids these days?

The reason I ask is the DW was car shopping and was told that "hybrids only cost $800 more than equivalents with engines".

And hinted that this was the future for smaller cars and that this would have service and resale benefits.

The gas mileage is certainly tempting- and MAYBE electric motors and generators can be more reliable that gears and drive trains.

But, I was thinking after 4 years, you better be ready for a SERIOUS battery replacement bill?

Always look forward to discussions. (that's the objective)

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What’s four years? In the state of California, the warranty for a Toyota Prius is good for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. In other states, the hybrid battery warranty is good for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

Regarding the Volt...an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the Volt's 16 kWh battery pack.

* This post was edited 10/01/19 04:51pm by Lwiddis *

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it all depends upon your personal life style. I could never use successfully. I tow a behemoth 5er, and the distance from home to work is ... well ... not practical from an electric car.

Others may have great success. Just like anything in life, you have to figure out if it will work for you. Do all the logistics and see where it leads. What is the most AGGRESSIVE most ROBUST demand you will put on your vehicle (NOT THE LIGHTEST, DAILY USE) ... and then find out if electric power can handle it, that is, the greatest demand you would EVER need from it, even if that need is for a very short duration. Then you have your answer.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hybrids have both electric and gas propulsion. Not electric only.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All hybrids have a LONG battery warranty. Typically 7+ years, or 10+ years in CARB states. And tend to have overall better reliability, while sometimes lowering maintenance costs because regenerative braking lessens brake wear.

They are ideal for a towed, since the planetary CVTs don't need pumped lubrication. But of course, check with the manufacturer. All Ford hybrid and plug-in hybrids are flat towable. Toyota are not at all. Other brands depend on specific models.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OEM Engineer here, working in Hybrid technology...

Wife leased a plug in hybrid, and for her it was absolutely perfect. 90% of her travel was short distance electric only. But, when needed, she could fill up the gas tank.

Lot of kewl tech gadgets, I disagreed with how it handled battery charging while on the freeway, in that it didn't charge, but in general a good vehicle.

Hard compound tires do not like the snow, seats were not particularly comfortable for long trips.

She's now driving a F150, and in a couple of years F350.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K3WE wrote:

The reason I ask is the DW was car shopping and was told that "hybrids only cost $800 more than equivalents with engines".

And hinted that this was the future for smaller cars and that this would have service and resale benefits.

Who gave your DW this information, the sales people?
Did they tell her that hybrids have gas engines?

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

K3WE wrote:

Who gave your DW this information, the sales people?
Did they tell her that hybrids have gas engines?

You got that right, hybrids cost the OEM's a bunch more than ICE. Salesman is full of brown stuff.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check this out if you are thinking about buying a hybrid car.

Pretty much on the money on every single point. I've owned mine for almost a year and everything he talked about is correct.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double post.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> General thoughts on Hybrids
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.