cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about beds.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK for years I have been mighty irritated by the fact that my feet stick way out on an RV bed. I finally looked into the problem only to discover to my Horror that rv mattresses are six inches shorter than standard mattresses. Thus leaving my feet about 8 inches out in the open.

So cogitating on this situation I first thought that maybe I would put a plywood extension under the mattress and dump the rv abomination, buying a standard queen sized mattress. Then the whole end of the bed would stick out another six inches into the bedroom. I could live with that.

But further thought came up with this plan. I'll build a 6 inch wide plywood box the width of the mattress. I'll install that at the head of the mattress, sliding the mattress down six inches. Add plywood underneath at the end as a support. Then add a standard length topper over this covering the box and mattress. Indeed the box at the top could be a secret hiding place.

We have a topper but it's too soft and I want something a little firmer.

What do you guys think of this idea?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
15 REPLIES 15

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Here's how I dealt with my short queen.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
OK for years I have been mighty irritated by the fact that my feet stick way out on an RV bed. I finally looked into the problem only to discover to my Horror that rv mattresses are six inches shorter than standard mattresses.

You just discovered now that your rig has a short queen?! :h I fixed that in our Freedom Express by extending the bed platform 6", pulling the existing short queen forward, then placing a full length (80") queen gel/memory foam topper on the mattress and stuffing the extra length in the gap between the headboard & mattress. Worked like a charm! :B

A series of pics starts here ... click on "i" at the top right of any pic for a text description.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The short queen mattress that came with our Coachmen was more like a torture device than a bed, so I extended the platform and bought a full length queen innerspring and foam mattress. Best upgrade ever.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
As long as there is space for the extra 6", it should work fine.

If you have some spare 2x6s around, you might dummy it up quick and dirty, before building the box to make sure you find it comfortable.

That's a good idea
Superbumper

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As long as there is space for the extra 6", it should work fine.

If you have some spare 2x6s around, you might dummy it up quick and dirty, before building the box to make sure you find it comfortable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
On our last 5er, we put a full size mattress in it, and then put a 5" piece of foam between the "headboard" and the mattress. My thinking was that all it has to do is hold the pillows up.

Yes, go the simple route. We slid the mattress down 6" then folded up an extra blanket and put it in the hole under the pillows.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the box at the head of the bed, you could "notch out" the memory foam on the outsides and create a cubby for eyeglasses, etc. Maybe add a cupholder on either side.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same in a sunnybrook I owned , worked well, just remember you canโ€™t set on the foot of the bed

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The platform and mattress in my trailer was a RV short queen. The "mattress" is really a 4 in thick cushion. I left the cushion in place and bought a full size queen mattress. I laid the full size queen mattress right on top of the existing cushion. There is still enough room between the mattress and the wall at the foot of the bed to shimmy around to get to the other side. With or without the cushion in place there was never really enough room to sit at the foot of the bed while putting on shoes and socks. The full size mattress does hang over the foot of the bed, but has never been a problem, since there's not enough room to sit on the end of the bed anyway. I have never done any mod to the platform although it does need some gas Pistons added to help lift the mattress and platform.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced the RV queen in ours with a standard queen memory foam. Never even took the plastic off the original mattress, replaced it before we ever slept in it. The head of our bed sits over the outside storage compartment and the foot lifts up for storage inside. We just pulled the plywood support and replaced it with a larger piece, no extra supports or anything else. I'm not sure how thick your topper is, but I'd be worried about the transition from mattress to wooden box right where your head lays being uncomfortable.

Pluses:
* obviously longer mattress
* easier to get a standard size replacement
* easier to get standard sheets that fit correctly
* new mattress is 1000% more comfortable

Minuses:
* Less room to walk between our dresser and the foot of the bed
* The gas struts will not support the heavier mattress. We could replace them, but so far we're just using a length of 1x2 to hold the platform when we need it held open.
* New mattress is significantly taller than old mattress. Extra thickness makes it more comfortable but harder to get into.
* New mattress is heavier than old one.

If we ever replace it, I think I will go back to a slightly thinner mattress. I think the wife ordered a 10" thick and I believe 8" is standard. Other than that, we couldn't be happier. We will never sleep on a standard RV mattress again if there is any way to avoid it.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our last 5er, we put a full size mattress in it, and then put a 5" piece of foam between the "headboard" and the mattress. My thinking was that all it has to do is hold the pillows up.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wouldn't work in our RV as the bed is in a slide and pushes up against the closets when closed. Longer mattress and plywood box would keep it from closing. Maybe it's time to buy a new rv -- some of them do have regular queen size beds - some even king size.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sounds like it would work. Make it with a locking device and you could have a secret hiding place for money, guns, valuables.

Don't know your layout, just make sure if you go with a longer bed that slide-outs aren't affected.

Not a problem our only slide is for the dinette. I plan on some cabinet making anyway for slides in the pantry and under the sink. So this will go right along with those plus I'll have some hardwood plywood on hand then. Now you gave me the idea I have a box those basement door locks I could stick one on the box.
Superbumper

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Another discovery horror!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad