Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Thinking about beds.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK for years I have been mighty irritated by the fact that my feet stick way out on an RV bed. I finally looked into the problem only to discover to my Horror that rv mattresses are six inches shorter than standard mattresses. Thus leaving my feet about 8 inches out in the open.

So cogitating on this situation I first thought that maybe I would put a plywood extension under the mattress and dump the rv abomination, buying a standard queen sized mattress. Then the whole end of the bed would stick out another six inches into the bedroom. I could live with that.

But further thought came up with this plan. I'll build a 6 inch wide plywood box the width of the mattress. I'll install that at the head of the mattress, sliding the mattress down six inches. Add plywood underneath at the end as a support. Then add a standard length topper over this covering the box and mattress. Indeed the box at the top could be a secret hiding place.

We have a topper but it's too soft and I want something a little firmer.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like it would work. Make it with a locking device and you could have a secret hiding place for money, guns, valuables.

Don't know your layout, just make sure if you go with a longer bed that slide-outs aren't affected.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another discovery horror!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Sounds like it would work. Make it with a locking device and you could have a secret hiding place for money, guns, valuables.

Don't know your layout, just make sure if you go with a longer bed that slide-outs aren't affected.

Not a problem our only slide is for the dinette. I plan on some cabinet making anyway for slides in the pantry and under the sink. So this will go right along with those plus I'll have some hardwood plywood on hand then. Now you gave me the idea I have a box those basement door locks I could stick one on the box.

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't work in our RV as the bed is in a slide and pushes up against the closets when closed. Longer mattress and plywood box would keep it from closing. Maybe it's time to buy a new rv -- some of them do have regular queen size beds - some even king size.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our last 5er, we put a full size mattress in it, and then put a 5" piece of foam between the "headboard" and the mattress. My thinking was that all it has to do is hold the pillows up.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced the RV queen in ours with a standard queen memory foam. Never even took the plastic off the original mattress, replaced it before we ever slept in it. The head of our bed sits over the outside storage compartment and the foot lifts up for storage inside. We just pulled the plywood support and replaced it with a larger piece, no extra supports or anything else. I'm not sure how thick your topper is, but I'd be worried about the transition from mattress to wooden box right where your head lays being uncomfortable.

Pluses:
* obviously longer mattress
* easier to get a standard size replacement
* easier to get standard sheets that fit correctly
* new mattress is 1000% more comfortable

Minuses:
* Less room to walk between our dresser and the foot of the bed
* The gas struts will not support the heavier mattress. We could replace them, but so far we're just using a length of 1x2 to hold the platform when we need it held open.
* New mattress is significantly taller than old mattress. Extra thickness makes it more comfortable but harder to get into.
* New mattress is heavier than old one.

If we ever replace it, I think I will go back to a slightly thinner mattress. I think the wife ordered a 10" thick and I believe 8" is standard. Other than that, we couldn't be happier. We will never sleep on a standard RV mattress again if there is any way to avoid it.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The platform and mattress in my trailer was a RV short queen. The "mattress" is really a 4 in thick cushion. I left the cushion in place and bought a full size queen mattress. I laid the full size queen mattress right on top of the existing cushion. There is still enough room between the mattress and the wall at the foot of the bed to shimmy around to get to the other side. With or without the cushion in place there was never really enough room to sit at the foot of the bed while putting on shoes and socks. The full size mattress does hang over the foot of the bed, but has never been a problem, since there's not enough room to sit on the end of the bed anyway. I have never done any mod to the platform although it does need some gas Pistons added to help lift the mattress and platform.

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/19 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the same in a sunnybrook I owned , worked well, just remember you can’t set on the foot of the bed

Busdriver 2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the box at the head of the bed, you could "notch out" the memory foam on the outsides and create a cubby for eyeglasses, etc. Maybe add a cupholder on either side.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.