cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Lite

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know where to purchase a sewer hose that will fit in the factory mounted compartment. That I think was provided to hold a sewer hose. If this orifice was not intended to store a sewer hose can you please tell me what the intended use was. Thank you
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
11 REPLIES 11

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the one that came with my 2018 , 8-11 NL camper. I got the part number off the original that came with the camper and ordered a spare from amazon. I also tried it in the bumper and it fits.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
Call your Northern Lite dealer to get the Northern Lite "sized" hose. If your dealer does not have it, call 5 Star RV in Henderson, CO and they will ship you one.
They are a great dealership and ship a lot of RV parts all over the country.
Previous posters are correct in that NL is going to start using standard size hoses in their new units. Why they have not done that before now is a mystery to me.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Siletzspey wrote:
otrfun wrote:
We have a 2019 NL 8-11. We were able to to fit four 10 ft. Revolution hoses (brown hose/yellow ends; sold at Walmart) inside the bumper on our 8-11.
I was reluctant to shave further, thru the sidewall, but given how rarely I use the second 10' section, I might as well shave it to max skinny, even if it seems sketchy.

If you have a moto tool, a $5 burr head takes the plastic down quick and easy.

--SiletzSpey
I hear ya. Given the hassle of trying to store these nasty sewer hoses somewhere else, potentially trashing a $15 hose is worth it IMO. FWIW, we used a belt sander to sand down the 4 sides. Grinds away flat and only takes a minute or two.

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
Wardster wrote:
We have a 2019 NL 8-11. We were able to to fit four 10 ft. Revolution hoses (brown hose/yellow ends; sold at Walmart) inside the bumper on our 8-11.

I was reluctant to shave further, thru the sidewall, but given how rarely I use the second 10' section, I might as well shave it to max skinny, even if it seems sketchy.

If you have a moto tool, a $5 burr head takes the plastic down quick and easy.

--SiletzSpey

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use this hose equipment no bulky ends

https://prestofit.com/

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wardster wrote:
Northern-Lite increased the size of the rear bumper after enough of us complained about it. You may have one of the larger ones on your unit.
Very seriously doubt it based on the amount of plastic I had to shave/grind off between the 4 prongs of each female hose connector to get them to fit into the bumper. Build date on my camper is 02/19. Quite a few months before the new bumper rumors started. I've yet to hear of anyone that's actually touched one of these "new" bumpers and successfully inserted an unmodified, female, 4-prong hose connector---as far as I know just rumors at this point.

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
devildog1971 wrote:
Does anyone know where to purchase a sewer hose that will fit in the factory mounted compartment. That I think was provided to hold a sewer hose. If this orifice was not intended to store a sewer hose can you please tell me what the intended use was. Thank you
Siletzspey wrote:
. . . Whether a shaved 4-prong or as-is 2-prong, the female end will only fit near the opening of the bumper tube, so you can only mount one fully-fitted tube in the bumper . . .
We have a 2019 NL 8-11. We were able to to fit four 10 ft. Revolution hoses (brown hose/yellow ends; sold at Walmart) inside the bumper on our 8-11. These hoses have 4-prongs. If you carefully shave each side, between the prongs, just shy of the black gasket, it will fit inside the bumper. Did this about 7 months ago. Have used the hoses numerous times since then with no issues.

Northern-Lite increased the size of the rear bumper after enough of us complained about it. You may have one of the larger ones on your unit.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
devildog1971 wrote:
Siletzspey wrote:
. . . Whether a shaved 4-prong or as-is 2-prong, the female end will only fit near the opening of the bumper tube, so you can only mount one fully-fitted tube in the bumper . . .
We have a 2019 NL 8-11. We were able to to fit four 10 ft. Revolution hoses (brown hose/yellow ends; sold at Walmart) inside the bumper on our 8-11. These hoses have 4-prongs. If you carefully shave each side, between the prongs, just shy of the black gasket, it will fit inside the bumper. Did this about 7 months ago. Have used the hoses numerous times since then with no issues.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œThe groups of techs all looked at each other and sheepishly just shrugged their shoulders.โ€

Management wasnโ€™t smart enough to hire techs that were campers.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
The NL bumper tube can only accommodate a 2-prong Valterra-brand female end, as opposed to the more common 4-prong female ends. Each new NL should come with a Valterra female fitting, which you are expected to mount to a hose.

Some of us have discovered that you can shave a standard 4-prong hose to fit. I posted my success story here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1055863797841588/permalink/2299084473519508/

Whether a shaved 4-prong or as-is 2-prong, the female end will only fit near the opening of the bumper tube, so you can only mount one fully-fitted tube in the bumper.

Just today, rumor broke that the 2020 NL will have a bigger bumper box to accommodate the 4-prong sewer hoses.

--SiletzSpey

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
We've owned 3 truck campers with the same waste hose storage compartments (or possibly similar). None of them would store a conventional sewer hose. I did buy a short 4 foot hose that collapses to a length just less than the length of the storage tube but then discovered that the diameter of the tube does not accommodate the plastic ends used for connecting the hose. If you remove the connectors, you could store the bare hose but then who on earth is going to assemble and disassemble the hose each time it's required. So, in my opinion it's just another indicator of how out of touch manufacturers are and how little they really care about the efficiencies of their designs.
I was once at a manufacturer production facility and asked the head tech what this compartment is intended for if you can't fit a sewer hose in it. The groups of techs all looked at each other and sheepishly just shrugged their shoulders.

I may have misunderstood the OP's description. I interpreted it as an issue with the molded tube compartment in the outside wall of the camper. I did not realize he was talking about a bumper storage issue.

I use mine to store my siphon hose/ primer bulb that I use for moving gasoline from containers to my generator.