cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Must cross Yosemite NP to Convict Lake?

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
We are going from Fresno to Convict Lake and the most common route seems to include CA 120 through Yosemite NP. My question is do you have to pay the park entrance fee for Yosemite to get through the park to the other side to access US 395 to go to Convict Lake, if Yosemite is not your destination? If so is there another option to circumvent the park and avoid the fee?
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs
16 REPLIES 16

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bitterbrush Campground is open year-round. No hookups, but well-located up Highway 168, not too far from the trailheads.

Bring extra blankets!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dedmiston
Call ahead if you're going to stay in Bishop. We just wrapped up an eight-week trip and Bishop was the only place where the parks were completely booked.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are still in the Convict Lake area, try to spend as much time as possible in the Rock Creek and Bishop Creek areas -- the aspens are going nuts, and they are late this year (which works in your favor).
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

joe_julie81
Explorer
Explorer
This is the OP. We did have to pay the entrance fee, $35 now, although the ranger did everything he could to find us a discount. We had not driven the backcountry of Yosemite before and it was an awesome drive. It wasn't really a loss. Thanks for the input.
04 Dodge 3500 dually, HO CTD, 6 spd NV5600, 4.10 anti-spin rear axle; 2018 NorthStar 950sc with 320 solar, sub-zero package, compressor fridge, torklift tie downs

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Used to be, years ago, that if you were transiting Yosemite via Tioga, you would not be charged. Times got hard, and the park started charging the $20 fee, regardless. If you qualify for the senior pass, that is the best bet. Also, you really have to watch your height of the RV as there are tunnels that may pose problem on the approach to Tioga pass.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tioga usually closes around early November. This year might be different.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
It certainly looks like that is the best way to go. If the weather is bad, I'd just take Tehachapi pass. Long way out of the way, but 395 has some awesome places to visit.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just buy the annual pass already. National parks need the money.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t have to pay for entry if you go through early or late. Usually before 6:00am and after 6:00pm nobody is working the booth... but you didn’t hear that from me! 🙂
E.Lee Galik

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP - I don't know how old you are, but if you have a Senior National Park Pass - that would get you through the park at no extra fee.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We did not have to pay a fee to transit Yellowstone. Can't say about Yosemite. I would call directly and ask. Chuck

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning...I’d call YNP and ask if it is required to pay the fee if you are Only Transiting the park and Not Stopping! I know that in Death Valley you don’t have to pay if Only Transiting!!!!!

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, drive thru a NP and pay the fee. Got me as I was driving from I-15 to Page AZ thru Zion years ago. $20 please, he says (I think at the time). I am not stopping, just going to Page, I say. $20 please, or you can turn around and go another way. Shelled out $20.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If you or your wife are old enough, Joe, get a federal senior pass. 62 and older. NO entry fees.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad