Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Adding a second tank sensor display near the tank valves
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adding a second tank sensor display near the tank valves

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
mitchmitchell1616

DFW Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/19 11:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I flush the black tank (we have a tornado flusher installed) I will usually close the valve while the water is running so the black tank will fill. This allows the swirling action of the water to help pull out solids when I re-open the valve. Its a little risky, you have to avoid getting distracted while the tank valve is closed etc.

However, I have to keep asking my wife to check the tank display to insure I don't overfill the tank. What I am planning to try is to set up a second tank display on the outside near the flush valves in a small waterproof enclosure so I can monitor the tank levels myself when flushing.

Has anyone else ever tried this?

Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Light X213
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch
Weboost Drive 4G-X cellular booster
PentaMetric Battery Monitor
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 01:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll bet you can use the same sensors and just add the second set of wires to them.

Another idea would be next time you use the Tornado to fill the tank have your wife time how long it takes. Then subtract a minuter two from that time and set a timer on your phone. As long as you have a decent charge in the phone and you remember to start the timer things will be good. The timer won't get distracted and when it goes off you just pull the dump valve.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a SeeLevel external sensor tank monitor system, they sell an add-on display panel for use at the valve location.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One reason for flushing a tank is to keep the gauge working. I would never depend on the unreliable gauge to tell me the water level when filling.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll bet you can use the same sensors and just add the second set of wires to them.

Another idea would be next time you use the Tornado to fill the tank have your wife time how long it takes. Then subtract a minuter two from that time and set a timer on your phone. As long as you have a decent charge in the phone and you remember to start the timer things will be good. The timer won't get distracted and when it goes off you just pull the dump valve.

This^^^^^ I use the timer method!

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No need to fill the tank. The solids are on the bottom. I run my flusher while watching what comes out through a clear fitting at the start of the hose. I may close the valve briefly during the process but only for a minute or so. Been doing it this way for many, many years. Never a problem. As far as the gauges go, I never pay any attention to them as they never work.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“This allows the swirling action of the water to help pull out solids when I re-open the valve”

Sufficient water in the black tank is all you need. IMO you are overthinking dumping. .

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

No need to fill the tank. The solids are on the bottom. I run my flusher while watching what comes out through a clear fitting at the start of the hose. I may close the valve briefly during the process but only for a minute or so. Been doing it this way for many, many years. Never a problem. As far as the gauges go, I never pay any attention to them as they never work.
B.O.

Gives advice on cleaning black tank. Says gauges never work... [emoticon] [emoticon]

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

" Its a little risky, you have to avoid getting distracted while the tank valve is closed etc."

Next time you flush your tank turn off water to it and let it drain. Leave valve open place bucket under the outlet. Set timer for one minute turn on water to tank and then at one minute turn it off. How much water did you add to the bucket??? I set mine for 10 minutes and I guarantee I am not adding more than 30-40 gallons to a 50 gallon tank.

Set your phone timer for the appropriate time based on gallons.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mitchmitchell1616

DFW Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

B.O.

You fill the tank because the mass of water above the solids creates a swirling action like when you flush the toilet and helps pull a *lot* of additional solids out. I have a clear elbow and see lots of additional material come out when I fill the tank and drain it as opposed to just letting the flusher run.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adding a second tank sensor display near the tank valves
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.