Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Adding a second tank sensor display near the tank valves
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adding a second tank sensor display near the tank valves

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
mitchmitchell1616

DFW Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

" Its a little risky, you have to avoid getting distracted while the tank valve is closed etc."

Next time you flush your tank turn off water to it and let it drain. Leave valve open place bucket under the outlet. Set timer for one minute turn on water to tank and then at one minute turn it off. How much water did you add to the bucket??? I set mine for 10 minutes and I guarantee I am not adding more than 30-40 gallons to a 50 gallon tank.

Set your phone timer for the appropriate time based on gallons.

I've tried timing it but the time varies depending on the available water pressure. It can take as long as 10 minutes at our storage area, but at some parks it will take just over 1 minute to fill.

Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Light X213
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch
Weboost Drive 4G-X cellular booster
PentaMetric Battery Monitor
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C

mitchmitchell1616

DFW Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

One reason for flushing a tank is to keep the gauge working. I would never depend on the unreliable gauge to tell me the water level when filling.

If it reads full, I flush with the valve open until it reads 1/3 -- the 1/3 sensor is in a position where the tornado spray hits it so it won't go off. The sensors are actually quite reliable as long as they are kept clean. Ours always clear off and read empty after I finish flushing. Its just inconvenient to depend on another person to tell me what the gauge is showing.

mitchmitchell1616

DFW Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll bet you can use the same sensors and just add the second set of wires to them.

Another idea would be next time you use the Tornado to fill the tank have your wife time how long it takes. Then subtract a minuter two from that time and set a timer on your phone. As long as you have a decent charge in the phone and you remember to start the timer things will be good. The timer won't get distracted and when it goes off you just pull the dump valve.

My plan is to splice into the wiring harness and see if that works -- if not I may have to wire directly to the sensors like you suggest.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitchmitchell1616 wrote:

When I flush the black tank (we have a tornado flusher installed) I will usually close the valve while the water is running so the black tank will fill. This allows the swirling action of the water to help pull out solids when I re-open the valve. Its a little risky, you have to avoid getting distracted while the tank valve is closed etc.

However, I have to keep asking my wife to check the tank display to insure I don't overfill the tank. What I am planning to try is to set up a second tank display on the outside near the flush valves in a small waterproof enclosure so I can monitor the tank levels myself when flushing.

Has anyone else ever tried this?

yes. we did that a year or so ago. the only downside is that if we check the tanks on the inside panel we have to wait until that panel resets before we can check levels on the exterior panel. otherwise the exterior panel simply duplicates what is showing on the interior panel.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mitchmitchell1616

DFW Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

yes. we did that a year or so ago. the only downside is that if we check the tanks on the inside panel we have to wait until that panel resets before we can check levels on the exterior panel. otherwise the exterior panel simply duplicates what is showing on the interior panel.

Awesome! Did you simply splice into the existing tank wiring? Also, how did you protect the exterior panel from weather (rain etc.).

Thanks!

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree I would never trust a tank level indicator.

The morning before I plan to drain the black tank I fill the toilet several times and watch as I flush the toilet. If the tank is near full you will notice the toilet draining different or slow.

Then with the black valve open and the flush valve open I watch the clear adapter for material coming from the black tank.

Also while dumping the black tank I have the wife fill the toilet to maximum and flush the toilet. This will help dislodge solids in the black tank. I have her continue the process until I do not see any thing except water in the clear adapter.

mitchmitchell1616

DFW Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RCMAN46 wrote:

I agree I would never trust a tank level indicator.

The morning before I plan to drain the black tank I fill the toilet several times and watch as I flush the toilet. If the tank is near full you will notice the toilet draining different or slow.

Then with the black valve open and the flush valve open I watch the clear adapter for material coming from the black tank.

Also while dumping the black tank I have the wife fill the toilet to maximum and flush the toilet. This will help dislodge solids in the black tank. I have her continue the process until I do not see any thing except water in the clear adapter.

I have the flush routine down and the sensors work fine as long as nothing is stuck to them -- so when they indicate the water level is below them they are cleared of debris. The reason I want to add the additional set of gauges is to avoid having to involve my wife in the flushing process so she can be doing other things.

Our sensors are quite reliable for showing the presence of water, its getting them to indicate the absence of water that requires them to be cleaned off. But when I am finished flushing the tank, ours always read empty so keeping them clean is the key to reliability.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitchmitchell1616 wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Awesome! Did you simply splice into the existing tank wiring? Also, how did you protect the exterior panel from weather (rain etc.).

Thanks!

i didn't do the work...my shop did. the panel is flush mounted (no punntended) in the wet bay. i may be seeing the tech this weekend. if so i'll see about getting some answers for you.

i had the remote panel installed not so much as to help with dumping....i use a clear elbow section during the dump and flush to monitor when the flow changes to clear. the panel is there to enable me to monitor the fresh tank level while filling it.

* This post was edited 10/02/19 10:13am by rk911 *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitchmitchell1616 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

" Its a little risky, you have to avoid getting distracted while the tank valve is closed etc."

Next time you flush your tank turn off water to it and let it drain. Leave valve open place bucket under the outlet. Set timer for one minute turn on water to tank and then at one minute turn it off. How much water did you add to the bucket??? I set mine for 10 minutes and I guarantee I am not adding more than 30-40 gallons to a 50 gallon tank.

Set your phone timer for the appropriate time based on gallons.

I've tried timing it but the time varies depending on the available water pressure. It can take as long as 10 minutes at our storage area, but at some parks it will take just over 1 minute to fill.

I think you may be exaggerating just a bit. Filling 50 gallons thru some spray nozzles in just one minute???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Making this WAYYYY too complicated. Bottom line set a TIMER!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adding a second tank sensor display near the tank valves
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.