cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you want in a campground?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Main reason I got into camping over 40 years ago was to live in nature for awhile. No manicured campgrounds with a mowed lawn or pool. Wanted to camp in woods, desert or mountains. I've changed a bit over the years and can appreciate various settings hopefully with a level site, electric and water. Just spent a few days at Brown Co. SP in Indiana.Nice. I'd give the campground a B (no water hook-up). Then on to Shelbyville Lake in Illinois, USAC campground. Good. A mixture of woods and mowed grass. But no view of the water and still no water at the site. B-. Then to Meramec SP in MO. Big, wild park but the huge campground was featureless. Within 50 yards of the beautiful Meramec River but not even a glimpse because of the brushy shoreline. Real shame. C-. Honestly might have been effected by the heavy rain resulting in a humid mess because of the low position of the campground. What do you look for?
Jayco-noslide
65 REPLIES 65

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
After 10 years of family camping I evolved to strictly boondocking. Have state and national forests to disperse camp at my leisure now.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
We generally camp at State, Corp, or National parks. We prefer that the campground roads be paved (but have camped in campgrounds whose roads were not - dusty!), the sites to be level (or at least close to level - paved or gravel preferred), shaded is a big bonus (we live in the south), electric and water required, sewer nice, but not necessary, as long as there's a dump station (we have an overflow tank).

We prefer to be near water: ocean first, lake, river, or stream second. Quiet hour rules need to be enforced. I enjoy kids having fun during the day - just please don't run/bike in front of me when I'm driving. 🙂 If pet owners pick up their dog's poop, YAY! I've picked up more than my share of other dogs' poop - sigh...

Being retired, we now have the luxury of camping during the week and avoiding holidays, which is heaven! 🙂

Happy camping, whatever your style! If we were all the same, it would be a terribly boring world, wouldn't it?
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco-noslide wrote:
Main reason I got into camping over 40 years ago was to live in nature for awhile. No manicured campgrounds with a mowed lawn or pool. Wanted to camp in woods, desert or mountains. I've changed a bit over the years and can appreciate various settings hopefully with a level site, electric and water. Just spent a few days at Brown Co. SP in Indiana.Nice. I'd give the campground a B (no water hook-up). Then on to Shelbyville Lake in Illinois, USAC campground. Good. A mixture of woods and mowed grass. But no view of the water and still no water at the site. B-. Then to Meramec SP in MO. Big, wild park but the huge campground was featureless. Within 50 yards of the beautiful Meramec River but not even a glimpse because of the brushy shoreline. Real shame. C-. Honestly might have been effected by the heavy rain resulting in a humid mess because of the low position of the campground. What do you look for?

My ideas are basically the same as yours. Except for one. As long as water is available at the park I could care less about water hook ups. I have a tank and a pump and that is all I ever use. If the tank goes empty I haul some water to it. That is all I need. But, I am just a weekend camper, I hardly ever go out for more then 4 days at the most. A lot of the time it's just 2 or 3.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
For me it depends on which side of the Mississippi I’m on.
East side it’s the standard clean, fairly level and a decent amount of room.
West! Ahh, West.
I like a place anywhere off the side of the road. Water, sewer, electric, WiFi all amenities I really don’t need. The amenity I like most is kind of level and my nearest neighbor a few hundred yards away. If you’re that far I’d love to have a cold brew at the bbq with youp but go home at night.
I love western USA!!!!! Can ya tell?
Happy travels y’all!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
allen8106 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I was a host at Meramec for a month. Will never return. I have spent time in most of Mo state parks, and that was the worse managed I have been in.

Poorly managed state parks seems to be a running theme, I have the same opinion of Kansas state parks.

Most Mo parks I have been in have much better management than Meramec when I was there.
Once I was in Truman, and as I was walking past a site the Ranger was asking them to move the cars onto the pavement. On the way back, people where moving cars and witching in loud voices about moving the cars. Saw the plates on the cars, and asked if they all lived close to the Ks park I had been in the week before. Well, Yes. Why travel the distance? "This park has grass and shade" We park on the pavement to protect the grass and trees. That rectum, instead of asking you to move could of written tickets...

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
I was a host at Meramec for a month. Will never return. I have spent time in most of Mo state parks, and that was the worse managed I have been in.

Poorly managed state parks seems to be a running theme, I have the same opinion of Kansas state parks.

West Coast state parks, CA, OR and WA, are generally good. In fact, better than even the popular National Parks, post current administration's budget cuts.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
Quiet with a scenic view, simple....
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

frisbeekev
Explorer
Explorer
I look for A level or somewhat level site. Sites that aren't right on top of each other. Also amenities for my kids, cause let's face it when they are entertained then my camping trip is more relaxing.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
peace and quiet

siamese
Explorer
Explorer
We don't really camp. Our 26 travel trailer is sort of our mobile house, so scenery and amenities aren't very important to us. We just like to be near historical sites, museums, or other things we like to do. A big parking lot with hookups and in the middle of the city would be just fine with us.

- Easy in and out
- quiet
- concrete or at least dry pad
- reasonably level
- full hookups
- some separation from others, but mostly value quiet
- good, reasonably priced laundry
- Some shade in summer, but we mostly camp down south in winter
- a place to walk is nice
- Did I mention quiet?

We often stay at Walmart for a single night on our way somewhere. Frequently find a spot that's quiet, and we couldn't be happier. Watching TV late at night and get a hankering for a key lime yogurt....just stroll in and get it.

Stuff we don't care about or want:

- pool
- clubhouse
- activities
- scenery / view

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I would say my needs varies, some times a quick overnight other times a destination campground and some times close proximity to where I need to be.

I use Passport America for quick overnights, there usually in quite remote areas. If visiting family proximity is important in a campground.

As for the campground good drainage, decent roads, no low tree's, adequate space, friendly staff, good water, good voltage, doesn't look like a grapes of wrath campground.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many people seem to be able to put up with a lot of inconvenience as long as they have power, water and a bath house.

I just want it to be beautiful .

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
kfp673 wrote:
Still enjoying this thread and making me realize that I actually like variation. My first response was based around a standard camping trip in which I prefer the state park "Tent camping" type experience but with hookups. While this is true when we are doing a typical family camping trip, a lot of the posts following mine complaining about noise and music got me thinking that it really all depends. We used to be seasonal and loved partying at the campground. Myself and a few others had guitars going, big fires, it was a blast. Some folks reading this I'm sure are rolling their eyes, but while we are not seasonal now I still love a campground party when it's the right atmosphere at a campground. Also love music festivals, specifically Bluegrass where we jam and play music until 3am where the rules are flipped on their head. You want to sleep, go somewhere else. Ha! Then we head to a state park and want to enjoy some quiet. So in general I have enjoyed this thread, and while I attempted an answer a few pages ago, I quickly realized that I / we like many different types of campground all based around the expectation and why we are there. Sometimes we like it quiet, sometimes loud, sometimes lots of music, sometimes none, sometimes its just a place to sleep, and sometimes it a place we dont leave... It's the beauty of camping / RV'ing to me...

^^^^Well Said^^^
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide