Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you want in a campground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally, national, state, county and city parks as I'm at least sure it's on some forest or semblance of it.

I'm mostly disappointed with commercial and private campgrounds which are just glorified parking lots with hook ups.

* This post was edited 10/02/19 12:18pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't rely on where I'm going to sleep to have too much determination on where I travel. In a campground of 200, how many sites can realistically be situated along the best view/water/ whatever?

I prefer to hike or drive to the destination and NOT see RV's there.
THEN go back to the campsite. (Of course most of our travel is dispersed camping or rustic.)

2001 RoadTrek 190

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Primary need/want in a campground: The ability to get our 38' toyhauler with longbed dually in and out without having to do crazy maneuvering. Also as much as I like nice trees, keep them trimmed so people with tall rigs can get in/out without scratching anything, including where they have to swing in/out to park.

Secondary wants: Quiet. Electric hookups are nice but not necessary. Decent amount of space between spots.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

doughere

Mooresville NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Generally, national, state, county and city parks as I'm at least sure it's on some forest or semblance of it.

I'm mostly disappointed with commercial and private campgrounds which are just glorified parking lots with hook ups.

100% with you.
Doug

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In most cases campgrounds are where we park our TT while we go see the sights. State parks are our preference.

We usually go camping as part of another adventure, a family gathering, a fishing trip, a local concert etc. Our TT serves as our local hotel and restaurant.

Electricity is our only necessity, if we have to time we will hike the trails or take in a naturalist program. Our preference is to go when the kids are in school, the campgrounds get rather empty at those times.

Coming from years of wilderness canoe camping, our campground requirements are minimal.

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I camp not RV. So a real campground is desired. Natural setting in a natural landscape with nature...

Hookups of any kind are rarely required - I'm self-sufficient. Ammenities beyond a vault toilet are not required. Distance and privacy between campsites is in reverse proportion to view from campsite (I'm willing to sacrifice for a great view).

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For basics I want a clean , safe site with mostly transient people. I don't want a CG with lots of seasonal or permanent residents. Those places become too territorial. I also want easy access to the site. I don't need an obstacle course within the CG or on the roads leading to the CG.
That means in some cases trees need to be pruned and obstacles (rocks, stumps whatever) removed. I also need enough space to park my vehicle on my site without having to shimy or do the limbo to get around the site. I don't want my awning touching my neighbors RV.Sites need to be reasonably level.

I can enjoy private CG's with manicured lawns and lots of amenities. I can also enjoy a more primitive state park setting with large wooded sites.
I don't mind electric only sites. Or sites with no sewer assuming there is a convenient easily accessible dump station.
I also want the rules enforced. I don't mind a little noise, or people letting their hair down somewhat, but I don't want a free for all atmosphere.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on where we are going and what we are going for. At a bare minimum, I want electricity, a dump station, and a water source somewhere in the park. Now, if all 3 happen to be at each campsite, that's marvelous. But not necessary.

I prefer camping in a wooded area, but with a longer camper, that is not always possible. Sometimes, the longer sites and the pull throughs are all sun. We take what we can get at the time we get it. After all, we're there only a short while (2 weeks at the most) and then off again to somewhere else.

We prefer State Parks.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with the other posts saying it depends. We owned 3 motor homes and only stayed in "campgrounds" a handful of times. When we had the motor homes it was more about getting to our destination, many times family located a long distance away. We would drive until we got tired, and pull off in rest areas or truck stops. We did occasionally go to campgrounds. Fort Wilderness at Disney, state parks, and a few "regular" campgrounds.

Now that we have the travel trailer, we prefer to have full hookups. But the reason for the stop is the determining factor of what's a good campground. For instance, if we are stopping for a night en-route, cheap, level, clean power, and convenient access is a good campground. If we are going to make it home base for site seeing in a particular area, level and clean power are still important, but proximity / access to what we are there to see becomes, to a point, more important than price.

If we are going just to enjoy the campground, then space, scenery, and quiet become significantly more important.

I don't know that there is a "perfect" campground for everyone. We found Disney's Fort Wilderness to be an extremely nice campground. It has lots of amenities to offer, but for some those "amenities" like outdoor Disney Movies, or central campfire with lots of kids would be more of a nightmare than an amenity. It's also very pricey which would make it less than perfect for many. Etc...

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great Topic and so many different opinions. For me its an equal combination of site size, shade, view, and feel. So in general I want full hookups if possible, but I prefer the state park feel with huge wooded sites. Prefer it fairly level but dont even care that much about that if it's beautiful scenery. I just curse the whole time setting up and then get over it when I see the view of the lake. Ha! Ideally the site is so big you could put 4 or 5 more campers between the next site in theory giving room to spread out. I also want the site to be walking distance to the lake, pond, river, or whatever if there is one so I can fish and kayak in the morning without driving anywhere. So basically I want the same tent camping experience I had growing up as a kid, but with the full hookups and comfort fo a camper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.