Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you want in a campground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of our camping now is done at state or COE campgrounds. We like to have electric and water. Sewer is nice. We haven’t used a campground bathroom in years. We use KOA for one night stands when traveling long distance. We also usually stay where there is water of some sort-ocean, lake, or river.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devocamper wrote:

Seems a lot of people don’t care for rules .

Rules are made for other people

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Devocamper wrote:

Seems a lot of people don’t care for rules .

Rules are made for other people

Tell me about it.

I was on a commercial campsite, err, parking lot and was sandwiched between two groups drinking on loud music past curfew.

I complained to the campsite administrator.

Got a dismissive response saying: they are regular (and I'm just a poor two night transient -- turned overnighter).

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mostly agree with the other postings. But I don't think anybody mentioned highway noise. Seems like a large number of private campgrounds are very close to a very busy highway - even an interstate, and the noise is atrocious. That's only good for a one-night stop while moving long distances.

David Kojen

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

solismaris wrote:

I mostly agree with the other postings. But I don't think anybody mentioned highway noise. Seems like a large number of private campgrounds are very close to a very busy highway - even an interstate, and the noise is atrocious. That's only good for a one-night stop while moving long distances.

Exactly! It's just sleep (if you can) and go.

And understandably, their campsites are meant to be seen from the highways -- like motels.

Not seen much of their "resort" campgrounds if it's any different except the swimming pool, etc.

* This post was last edited 10/03/19 06:23pm by Yosemite Sam1 *   View edit history

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgfrye wrote:

kfp673 wrote:

Great Topic and so many different opinions. For me its an equal combination of site size, shade, view, and feel. So in general I want full hookups if possible, but I prefer the state park feel with huge wooded sites. Prefer it fairly level but dont even care that much about that if it's beautiful scenery. I just curse the whole time setting up and then get over it when I see the view of the lake. Ha! Ideally the site is so big you could put 4 or 5 more campers between the next site in theory giving room to spread out. I also want the site to be walking distance to the lake, pond, river, or whatever if there is one so I can fish and kayak in the morning without driving anywhere. So basically I want the same tent camping experience I had growing up as a kid, but with the full hookups and comfort fo a camper.

pretty much what DW and i enjoy. we will also stay at private campgrounds looking like parking lots if its the best we can find if we are in a specific area for something like sight seeing.

in general we prefer state parks with large sites at affordable prices with water and electric on site

Agreed. If we are there for a place to stay rather than the campground itself then I am much more flexible. Just did it this past weekend at a KOA so that we could enjoy a local amusement park. KOA was actually really nice with large sites, but we basically slept there at which point location is the key.

PatJ

Eastern WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/19 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Basically, two different types for me:

1. Overnight stop on the way:
  • No Long-term People
  • Electric hookups with solid stable voltage
  • Relatively level sites
  • Dump station and place to fill tanks
  • Bonus for playground

2. Destination:
Beach/ocean access OR OHV trail access OR some other activity that keeps all ages happy.

Patrick

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 03:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Bert Ackerman wrote:

I'd like the next site to be so close my awning rubs the occupants trailer when the wind blows, lots of lights left on all night including jumpers in 7 ways to turn on running lights, lots of concrete, and maybe a few dogs left alone all day in rigs that bark continuously at every noise they hear, or everything they see. That would be perfect. Perhaps a golf cart screaming by every 15 seconds too, but don't want to get greedy. Could I also get 4 or 5 bucket lights strung up in the only tree on the property?

HAHAHAHA I have experienced all of those things on more than one occasion. I'd like to add that I'm quite fond of campground roads that are no wider than your rv and lined with trucks and cars so you can't possibly back into your site. Another nice touch is the neighbor that invites 50 people for a party, a dozen vehicles show up and park all over the place and kegs of beer roll out of the bed of a couple of the pickups that arrive. Oh how much we love that. We always hope we get to camp next to where these things are occurring. AWESOME experiences!

Hey, I know of a KOA back home that is located in a valley and across a river which is maybe 100 yds wide from the CSX double track main. You get a roaring freight train going by about every 15-20 minutes, 24/7. It's extra special, you should try it, if you like trains.

(Interestingly lots of folks think its the greatest, packed every weekend)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reading this, I understand why one size fits all does not work. Many, if not most, want shaded sites, with brush buffers between sites. To do that, and get the most sites in a area, the roads need curves. But some RVers feel the need to bring a house with them complain the trees are too low, roads to narrow and crooked.
(the branches of a tree stay at the same level as the tree grows. Over time, the RVs have got taller, it is not the tree's fault.)

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/19 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barbara001 wrote:

Recently I've bought an old trailer and now looking for professional and legit services to make a repair in it. Did anyone use the ***Link Removed*** services? Are they good enough?

You need to make a new post. Asking a question in the middle of an unrelated thread will get no responses.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.