Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What do you want in a campground?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Main reason I got into camping over 40 years ago was to live in nature for awhile. No manicured campgrounds with a mowed lawn or pool. Wanted to camp in woods, desert or mountains. I've changed a bit over the years and can appreciate various settings hopefully with a level site, electric and water. Just spent a few days at Brown Co. SP in Indiana.Nice. I'd give the campground a B (no water hook-up). Then on to Shelbyville Lake in Illinois, USAC campground. Good. A mixture of woods and mowed grass. But no view of the water and still no water at the site. B-. Then to Meramec SP in MO. Big, wild park but the huge campground was featureless. Within 50 yards of the beautiful Meramec River but not even a glimpse because of the brushy shoreline. Real shame. C-. Honestly might have been effected by the heavy rain resulting in a humid mess because of the low position of the campground. What do you look for?

Jayco-noslide

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a host at Meramec for a month. Will never return. I have spent time in most of Mo state parks, and that was the worse managed I have been in.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look for a clean, well maintained cg with easy access in and out. If the road and sites are muddy/overgrown with weeds or filled with derelict rv's I turn around and keep going. I can only recall one that I would not return to and that was due to the hosts attitude.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite campgrounds are along the ocean, I love to leave the windows open and listen to the waves crash. If I'm not at the ocean then my favorites are generally well wooded sites with plenty of separation and close to a lake for water recreation. Unfortunately most of the state parks in Ohio with electric hookups were clear cut at one point and are mowed enough that the trees haven't grown back unlike some other states, when looking for a site here I try to get one that is at the end of a loop so that my curb side is facing into the woods (while still not being too far from the shower house as almost no sites are full hookup and it's easier to use the shower house than deal with the dump station line).

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For paid CGs, I want clean and good wifi.
Enforcing sensible rules (quiet hours, etc) is a plus.

I expect less of state parks but have often been pleasantly surprised.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's like asking what I want for dinner. It depends.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Bert Ackerman

Palm Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like the next site to be so close my awning rubs the occupants trailer when the wind blows, lots of lights left on all night including jumpers in 7 ways to turn on running lights, lots of concrete, and maybe a few dogs left alone all day in rigs that bark continuously at every noise they hear, or everything they see. That would be perfect. Perhaps a golf cart screaming by every 15 seconds too, but don't want to get greedy. Could I also get 4 or 5 bucket lights strung up in the only tree on the property?

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as much separation from the next guy as possible. Ideally I cant see you through the bush. electric is a plus. don't care about water and sewer. having a lake with fishing/swimming is a major plus. being close enough to home that we can enjoy some stuff on arrival/departure day and still have time for the trip is also a plus. not criminally expensive would be cool but I live in Ontario so not likely

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bert Ackerman wrote:

I'd like the next site to be so close my awning rubs the occupants trailer when the wind blows, lots of lights left on all night including jumpers in 7 ways to turn on running lights, lots of concrete, and maybe a few dogs left alone all day in rigs that bark continuously at every noise they hear, or everything they see. That would be perfect. Perhaps a golf cart screaming by every 15 seconds too, but don't want to get greedy. Could I also get 4 or 5 bucket lights strung up in the only tree on the property?

HAHAHAHA I have experienced all of those things on more than one occasion. I'd like to add that I'm quite fond of campground roads that are no wider than your rv and lined with trucks and cars so you can't possibly back into your site. Another nice touch is the neighbor that invites 50 people for a party, a dozen vehicles show up and park all over the place and kegs of beer roll out of the bed of a couple of the pickups that arrive. Oh how much we love that. We always hope we get to camp next to where these things are occurring. AWESOME experiences!

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

tdiller

usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Main reason I got into camping over 40 years ago was to live in nature for awhile. No manicured campgrounds with a mowed lawn or pool. Wanted to camp in woods, desert or mountains. I've changed a bit over the years and can appreciate various settings hopefully with a level site, electric and water. Just spent a few days at Brown Co. SP in Indiana.Nice. I'd give the campground a B (no water hook-up). Then on to Shelbyville Lake in Illinois, USAC campground. Good. A mixture of woods and mowed grass. But no view of the water and still no water at the site. B-. Then to Meramec SP in MO. Big, wild park but the huge campground was featureless. Within 50 yards of the beautiful Meramec River but not even a glimpse because of the brushy shoreline. Real shame. C-. Honestly might have been effected by the heavy rain resulting in a humid mess because of the low position of the campground. What do you look for?

I don't know which campground you stayed in at shelbyville lake but the Frank Bo Woods COE has water sewer and electric hookups.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> What do you want in a campground?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.